Author Topic: ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine  (Read 128869 times)

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
Good progress Rod and nice parts.  Still following along.

Vince

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
What an elegant way to make a connecting rod. I have to admit, I am having a bad case of lathe envy. Beautiful machine you have to work with, Rod. So far, it seems that you are able to work around the nigglies as they arise, I hope that continues for you. Looking forward to your next installment.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2013, 11:51:46 PM »
That is a nice conrod, and the ball turner is a great out of the square thought. Are dead smooth files easy to locate? I assume that they just take a very fine cut.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
Nice looking conrod.

I've seen a few posts now that use the soldering technique to make the split bearing. After remelting to split it, are there any additional operations done to the joins? Filing, just pickling, or such? Any concern that the parts won't mate exactly the same? Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
Hi, Jim, Hugh , Carl,

I was very lucky to get the lathe, as is often the way with these things at someone else's misfortune.  My old neighbour was an (old school) professional engineer who was gearing up his workshop for retirement.  Sadly, Reg smoked himself to death and didn't last too long after his 65th birthday.  When he died his widow was keen for me to take over the lathe.  The lathe was about 10 years old but hardly used.  I think I gave her a fair market price but there was an enormous amount of other stuff that she wanted me to take - effectively a complete workshop.

The dead smooth file is a Swiss Grobet No. 6 cut.  I find it really useful for all sorts of finishing tasks.  I've also got a no.4 cut.  They are not easy to find and are very expensive in the UK these days.  They seem a bit cheaper in the US such as http://www.ottofrei.com/Grobet-Swiss-Vallorbe-Files-Hand-6-Inch.html.  I don't know about Oz

That's the first time I've tried the soldering technique for a split bearing.  When I dis-assembled I wiped the still liquid solder off on  piece of paper and gave the surface a quick rub on a file.  Seemed very straightforward.

Thanks for taking an interest,
cheers,
Rod

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
Rod,

How is the Wyvern coming on?   :???:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »
Hi Jo,

No progress for the last 3 weeks.  Holidays!  Back to normal tomorrow.

Thought the group might be interested in this, just sitting on a wall outside someone's house in the NW corner of the Isle of Lewis:

Anybody recognise it?

Also been down to the West Country and dropped in at Crofton Pumping Engines on the way back.  I thought this Gardiner steam engine looked like quite a nice ( relatively) simple prototype to copy- I've been enthused by Jo's cotters.  The flywheel is built up.

I should have some progress on the Wyvern to post in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to seeing the Crosskill at Guildford

cheers,
Rod

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »

Also been down to the West Country and dropped in at Crofton Pumping Engines on the way back.  ...

Looking forward to seeing the Crosskill at Guildford

The Crofton engines :Love:

Looking forward to seeing you Rod (P.S. photographs are only allowed of the engines  ;), any one who wants to see the live entertainment   :disappointed: has to come along )

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
Rod looks like a Amanco/Associated "Hired Man"

I'll just make sure I focus on whats behind the engines when I take pictures of them :mischief:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
"Amanco Hired Man":

:noidea:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Rod, looking forward to seeing more on the Wyvern as well. Meanwhile it looks like you have had an enjoyable few weeks :)

Bill

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
Certainly looks like a Hired Man.  Thanks Jason and for the pic Jo.  On the way up to Scotland we visited Quarry bank Mill.  They've got a little six column beam engine there that looks very much like the prototype for Tubal Cain's Lady Stephanie.  Also, the Gardiner above is very similar to his Georgina.

We did have a great time and were very lucky with the weather.

Callanish Standing Stones

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
One of the the (supposedly!) simple jobs I've been putting off is to make a drilling jig for the studs to fasten the cylinder jacket to the bed plate.  This can be a simple plate with a hole in to match the cylinder, which will act as a locator when drilling either the jacket or the bed plate.  The bed plate needs drillings for a 4BA tap and the jacket has equivalent clearance holes.  I found a suitable piece of plate to act as the jig - one of the spare cast ally mounting fixtures that came with my DRO kit.  I mounted this in the 4 jaw and bored a hole for a snug fit on the cylinder.  I decide to use my milling spindle to drill the holes according to the drawing - on a 1 3/16 radius pitch circle, 7/8" either side of the vertical centre line.  A bit of trigonometry calculated the angles necessary so that I could use the HDA to rotate the job to the required position.

The milling spindle is mounted on a base at  centre height which fits into the hole for the top slide. 

The accuracy of this job is not micron critical so I just used a centre in the head stock to line up the drill at centre and then moved out to the required radius on the cross slide.

I was beginning to have a bad feeling about this because the cylinder jacket casting flange is not very square and the holes looked like they would be too close to the cylinder jacket to allow a nut to turn.

Sticking to the principle of only machining the castings where necessary may not end up with a pretty end product.  Anyway, I just spotted the holes with the centre drill. Using the cylinder as the locator and drawing around the flange shows the problem.  So, having gone to all that trouble I just put some new centre dots where I thought the holes ought to to go (where I've placed the nuts) and drilled them.

Drilling the blind stud holes in the bed plate wasn't that straight forward either.  There isn't enough headroom on my drill to get the up ended plate under the drill.  I bolted it to an angle plate and used a DTI to level it.

I then had to have the assembly hanging off the edge of the drill table but it worked OK.

The holes were tapped on the pillar tool and some temporary studs inserted.  It all bolted together after I'd opened up the clearance holes in the cylinder jacket by another 0.1mm

Just at the moment I think my next model is going to be all fabricated!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
I like that drive Tangler!

Nice work on the engine too!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »
Yeah good work there, it looks good assembled and there isn't that much of a miss match but it must be frustrating that you had to deviate from the drawing with the bolt hole pattern! The more I see people work with castings the more I am put off by them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal