Author Topic: 1-2-3 block  (Read 1507 times)

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
1-2-3 block
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Been driving me a little crazy.   Had some parts not coming out just right and thought my 20yr+ Starrett machinist square had been damaged.   Checked it against a 1-2-3 block and sure enough it was out by about 2 thou.   Decided to check the square against my mill vise and it came up perfect.   Made a few more checks and the square was showing to be true.   Back to the 1-2-3 blocks which I bought as a pair and found that both were out by the 2 thou I was seeing initially.    Got in a new set this week and they are fine.    Had no idea I needed to check these out or that they could be bad from the factory.   :Mad:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1-2-3 block
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
Unless it says Starret...or Moore and Wright....or some other reputable name.....always check what your getting...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re: 1-2-3 block
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
I bought a "pair" of 1-2-3 blocks from one of our well know UK suppliers myself recently.
I don't know why but I decided to measure them to see if they were actually dead on 1" 2" & 3".

Imagine my surprise when I found that they were nominally correct in dimensions but were both different by up to 0.005" on all three dimensions. They were ground up nice and square, and each on its own was a nice block, but they were different sizes so in my book not fit for purpose.

I contacted the supplier who informed me they could not guarantee these were made as "pairs" and offered me a full refund.

I subsequently bought a set from another supplier on ebay for less money and they were a perfect matching "pair" and hardened as well.

It does indeed pay to check and take nothing for granted these days.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal