Author Topic: Workshop and Task LED Lighting  (Read 10790 times)

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
Workshop and Task LED Lighting
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has begun to use LED lighting in the workshop and how that has worked out.  I need to improve the task lighting around my machines and I figure that is the next step.  Please feel free to school me.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Workshop and Task LED Lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »
On the taigtools mailing list I'm subscribed to, there has been a lot of discussion in the last couple of days about these LED lamps from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Comments are positive. I'm thinking of trying a couple myself. The price seems right.

--Tim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
Harry, our business was hit by a tornado on 1-30. You might have seen it on channel 5. We replaced all our lighting with LED. The light is amazing and these are just 4500 lumen. Four 4ft. Fixtures pull less than 3 amps. The light is just pure, no tinting or hazing. I have T5 fixtures in my shop and they may be a little brighter, but, they aren't as easy on the eyes or the meter.

Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
Tim, I got a couple of those a whilei back and they are easy to aim with the gooseneck and provide good concentrated but not general light. The only issue I have had with one of them is that the switch doesn't always make good contact and makes the light dim at times, I need to put a new inline switch on it or just buy a new one for $9.99 :)

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »
Tim, I have a couple of those Ikea / Jansjo LED lights too, and I really like them. They are small and easy to move around, and I can point them where I want and they stay.  I've got one with a base and a clip-on one.  For my bench top machines, I find the one with the base is the one I used most. It has a longer goose neck and seems to work best in most of my situations.  I've been meaning to pick up another one!

Bill, Interesting comment on the switch.  One of my lights is sometimes dim, and sometimes bright.  I figured it was a loose connection somewhere, but never thought about the switch!  I'll have to play around with that.

Kim

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:07:36 AM »
I've been using a clip on Ikea light on the mill, for a few months now.  Very good, well worth the money, thinking of getting one to replace the light over the lathe, which has an incandescent bulb.  Probably will change over when the bulb blows!!
cheers
Bill

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:11 AM »
Wow those IKEA lights that are only 10 bucks in the US cost 30 bucks at IKEA here in Aus.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60169661/

Talk about price gouging  :rant:

Steve

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Workshop and Task LED Lighting
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:29 AM »
Just like apple, adobe, and all those other companies that don't deserve a capital letter. Problem is, Steve, instead of manning the battlements and boiling the oil, we keep shopping!

Hugh.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »
Problem is, Steve, instead of manning the battlements and boiling the oil, we keep shopping!

Hugh.

Too true Hugh  :(

Offline PeterE

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
I have started to use the IKEA Jansjo lamps as well. I selected the long goose neck ones as I felt that they could be fixed well away from the job area and still be possible to be close enough.

The one for the C3 lathe I fixed to the splash back as described here: http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7235.msg77516.html#msg77516

... and the one for my SX1L mill described here: http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

Having used both for a while I am totally pleased.

BR

/Peter

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
Too bad they are only available at the store, not available online.  I've got an Ikea about 30 miles away but very rarely get up that way. Guess I'll just have to keep it in mind for the next time I do.
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline CliffH

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
The Jansjio is £10 here - that's about $20
CliffH
CliffH

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
It's been a long time . . . and I'm just now beginning to catch up on the board .. but I'm happy to be able to post a follow-up report on what I ended up doing on my workshop LED re-lamping which I finished earlier this year.

After visiting a number of LED-lit work environments I found that most of them were too hot (too much "K"/Kelvin) for my eyes, so based upon that experience I decided on a K-range of 4000K (min) to 5000K (max.)  I also decided to rewire my 4-bulb T12 fixtures for "direct wire" (mains power - no ballast) LEDs, as the old ballasts had died, or soon would.
I soon discovered that only one of the electrical distributors in my area (USA) carried any direct-wire bulbs, a single 5000K bulb, so I bought one as a test which proved to be too bright and blue.  After an online search I found a supplier of reasonably priced 2350Lumen/4000k T8 x 48" LED bulbs.  (The brand is "TopStar", product number #L48T8-840-18P-G4-BP.)

Two additional 3-bulb ceiling fixtures were added as fill-in lighting and all fixtures were re-lamped with the T8 LEDs and Wow! what an improvement!  The light color isn't far above that of conventional "daylight" fluorescent tubes, just more of it, and it's very easy on the eyes.  In hindsight I probably could have used a 5000K bulb and not been blinded, but if I had, the Lumen count would have been less and I'm very happy with what I have.

As a part of this re-lamping job, and after being ignore for more than two decades, I decided to dismantle and thoroughly clean all the light-reflective surfaces and lenses of the fixtures, all of which had become dirty or yellowed by heat or whatever florescent lights emit.  The improvement in reflectivity and light transmission was immediate and amazing and was well worth the time spent doing it.

All in all a very successful conversion and for the technical record I now have about 145 Lumens/F² on the benchtop.  :ThumbsUp:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:51:49 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »
I am thrilled to have that data from an actual user!  My optimum change time will be next spring. I'm too cheap (broke) to pull good lamps out of service... :hammerbash:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 06:19:12 AM »
My optimum change time will be next spring. I'm too cheap (broke) to pull good lamps out of service... :hammerbash:

I'm still of the view that I need the lights on in the workshop in the winter when I also need to heat the workshop: the old lights using extra power are actually a distributed low power (55W per tube) heating system that supplements the localised heat from the storage heater ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal