Author Topic: Lister 6/1 Diesel  (Read 78766 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Lister 6/1 Diesel
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2013, 02:39:06 AM »
Hey Diesel,

:noidea:

I hear you there!....I'm concerned that at this size, a bell mouthed hole will result with a lap....but as we're both speculating at this point, and I don't know how I'm going to measure it either.....so it would seem we need a method to measure this with

My approach was to perhaps ream .001 undersized, and try to use the Ti ball as a final sizing device...make the pump rod the same size as the ball...and count on honing the couple of tenths difference once the tube contracts after the ball goes through.... :shrug:

Let's both give it a shot and compare notes perhaps....nothing like some data hey? :cheers:

This one's got my attention though!...this is tough problem Pat...and my story about my Dad is what snapped my interest to it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
OK.....purchase made.
Are they Ti or Carbide?
I have been using a hardened drill steel as a piston, the cylinder has been just CR or C1018... I tried making the cyl from Drill rod also but I had trouble(dull tools and more drive than experience!!)

The "ream to .001 undersize" is the problem with me, how? do I need to make a .001 undersize reamer? way beyond my expertise I'm afraid. I have a .125 reamer, so I'm going to use it, then take a 5/32 dia drill rod and grind it to suit. Well that is the plan, and then lap it into the cylinder.
I am in process of making a toolpost holder for my dremel. 
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
Pat, 

What size orifice is specified for the injector?
Dave, it is a #5 gas jet. I could not find one locally, but I had an old Coleman stove in parts and scavenged 1 out of it(well I think it was a #5) I wouldn't know, but it was very small. smaller than #80 drill. I wrecked the jet while fitting it one time, so I ended up with a #80 jet. The #80 is about 4x the size I think. 
PatO

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Pat

you said you wanted small holes  look here its at the start of his blog   it references small injectors and date from 1955   interesting picture of a wire threaded through holes in a human hair

http://oxtool.blogspot.co.uk

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »
Pat,

I'm taking it upon my self to try to figure out a process for a tight fitting plunger pump...I have my own ideas on that, and would like to give it a shot...so before you invest in any of my muses...let me try it out....just in case it's a complete and utter failure......at least you can get a chance to laugh!

As far as making a reamer...it's not that hard, I can show you that.....but I just got home from work and I have honeydo's....so probably this weekend....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
Drills down to .002" are available, but I don't know that I would bother with anything that small on my equipment. Spindle alignment and TIR must be very good.

A #5 gas jet is 0.2mm(.008") I think this is far too large for an injection engine of this displacement. It may explain why the engine in the video runs the way it does. But what do I know, I haven't built one yet. #*$&#*&% me! My hard drive is dead and recovery would cost 1450USD, and I don't even know how much data they might be able to recover. I had a lot going on recently and my backups got 3 months old. Back up your data! I don't even know what I lost.

The finish from a Dremel mounted on the lathe will be less than satisfactory, in my opinion at least. It doesn't cost much to try. You can buy undersize reamers. I have an over/under reamer set that includes a -.001, nominal, and +.001" in fractional sizes, I think. .001" over or under are available individually from most suppliers.

Greg

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
Greg, I will try the undersize reamer route. I feel your pain in the hard drive crash, I have one at home too with about 10 years of drawings on it that I cannot get to.
The "DUX" injector style is the one I have now, and it appears to work when I put about 120psi of air through it, but only just a slight bit comes thru, so I imagine with 4-500psi against compression, it should be OK.
I had my doubts about the Dremel tool post grinder setup, as the Dremel is a plastic case and it will distort!! There is a poster on 1 of these boards who swears by the 1 he made, says it gives excellent results.
My experience with grinding is with a full size crankshaft grinder my father had in his workshop. lots of coolant, and a  grinding wheel about 36" dia.!!
PatO

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
Pat

The Tungsten Carbide precision balls aren't going to be here until next week sometime....so I'll have to forgo any testing along that lines until then

But they're coming.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline angeloscuro

« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
 :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:
Oh boy what level of work is that it is a spectacular thing is that I donot believe I can bring to this forum because apparently seen god mother, encouragement and congratulations friend grabbing a spectacular job these

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
Well I am still at it, a new injector pump is on its way in the garage.
I have been waylaid a tad by another project with 1 of my grandsons. I must finish it before his graduation in the spring of '14!! (It is the 1930 Ford Cabriolet Street Rod Project.)
For the pump I am using a piece of 85000 psi Stainless steel tubing for the cylinder. It is DOM tubing, meaning "drawn over mandrel" and the ID appears to be about .010" smaller than 1/8". I will see how that polishes up with lapping.
I think I have another development on the Lister Build Log coming up too. I will post pictures when it becomes reality.
Thank you for all your input(s) into my ongoing saga.   
PatO

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Pat

I got the "balls" this week....but it will have to wait till the weekend....work's nuts right now!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
Pat

I got the "balls" this week....but it will have to wait till the weekend....work's nuts right now!

Dave
I hear you, nuts, balls....it's nuts here too where I work.
No problem Dave.
PatO

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Pat

Dave
I hear you, nuts, balls....it's nuts here too where I work.
No problem Dave.

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

I hate it when work does this to me!......
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
As they say now; "back in the day",  I had a real problem trying to work and honky tonk, so, I quit work :lolb: :lolb: :'(

Whiskey

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
As they say now; "back in the day",  I had a real problem trying to work and honky tonk, so, I quit work :lolb: :lolb: :'(

Whiskey
You don't happen to have worked in a paper mill?
I have been to Springfield a few times for work, I was with Voith.
I didn't know that I would live this long, so I spent all my money on my kids, so now it is work, work, work!!!!
PatO

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal