Author Topic: Trivia, more trivia  (Read 12727 times)

Bluechip

Re: Trivia, more trivia
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Classic FM or this ..

http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/

Dave BC

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »
I never listen to the radio, I play my cd's, Just about anything recorded between 1940 and 1970 (when they stopped  recording "music")   Anything from Pop, swing, jazz, easy listening, depends on the mood I am in at the time.    Mosey,  (a soprano saxophone is not a musical instrument) EXCEPT when played by Sidney Bechet.  Just listen to his first recording of Petite Fleur, pure soul.

Cheers Dek.  :old:

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
Dek,
I stand corrected. The exception proves the rule.
M.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 03:06:32 AM »
< I listen to classic rock.>
I'd call that an oxymoron of the worst sort. :-)
I'm with Marv on the sympathies. :-)
   ...lew... 

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:47 AM »
I listen to music.  But it takes my full attention.   I run my machines. They take my full attention.  Can't do both.  No radio in the shop.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Rayanth

• Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 06:55:49 AM »
I have an odd and miserable combination of both having a near eidetic memory for music -- I can hear a song twice and remember it for life -- and being incredibly susceptible to earworms (the term used to describe a song that gets 'stuck in your head')

As a result, I avoid music like the plague. I would have been a pro at Name That Tune -- give me three notes of a song, and the whole thing'll be stuck in my head for a week.

That being said, classical and "new age" instrumental (Mannheim Steamroller, Yanni, Blue Man Group's non-lyrical numbers, that sort of thing) are not as bad to have stuck in my head, so I will occasionally pop one of those cd's in, but not in the shop. I would get caught up in the song and forget that I was out there to make chips.

-- Rayanth
---Please understand that I am a complete novice, and may take a very wrong path to doing things. Take my opinions and procedures with a grain of salt.
--- All photos taken with a Canon Rebel t1i and resized using "OptimumJPEG".
---Please alert me to any photos or links that do not load.

Bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:40 AM »
I'm with Jerry on this one.

No distractions at all in the shop, except for the 'musix' produced by my machines.

But out of the shop, pop from 50's to 70's (after that it is just repeats and destruction of good music), almost all classical, my real favourite is opera.

John

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
The time to listen to music is in a ladies boudoir, preferably with one arm gently wrapped around the owner of same and the other hand holding a long stemmed glass of Abrau Duseau. What happens next can be of Wagnerian proportions or the gentle strains of Mantovani.  ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
I have to agree with Bogs and Jerry here...no music in the shop. Hearing, as much as sight and feel is an important part of the machinine process. Outside the shop however, I prefer classical, NPR, more modern bluegrass, and more traditional country.

Bill

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »
I usually just listen to machines.  If I want music it depends on my mood.  I have been know to listen to anything from The Doors and Joan Jett to the Sound of Music soundtrack, with some Mozart thrown in for jobs that require more thinking.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
Funny thing...if I run the machines...I listen..quietly...to classical....but if I'm scraping....NOTHING....go figure?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
Steamer, perhaps the muttering and bad language while scraping is enough to listen to? At least that's what I would hear if I were to try scraping.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline John S

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Just as I suspected. I listen to classic rock. Jimi, Stones, Zeppelin, Janis, etc.
M.

Be assured, you have our sympathies (and hopes for a timely recovery).

How can ANYONE in this game not be into heavy metal ? Especially with the price of scrap.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
Steamer, perhaps the muttering and bad language while scraping is enough to listen to? At least that's what I would hear if I were to try scraping.

Lee

Its usually not swearing...more of a "conversation"....though it only talks to me through mark up and dial indicators....kinda like sign language.....though I "TALK" to it...which is wierd enough ::)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
All this talk of music reminded me of a story I heard on WGBH many years ago.  I'm sure you will enjoy it...

An orchestra was going to perform Beethoven's 9th symphony. A few days before the performance, the bassists decided that since they had a little section to play in the beginning and a little one at the end, they would quietly put their instruments down, exit the stage and go have a beer at the bar across the street during the section they had nothing to play.

When they did their performance, once they got to the part where they had nothing to do they put down their instruments and left as they planned. When they entered the bar they met a man who kept buying them drinks, telling them all stories of when he used to play in an orchestra. Over the course of time, two of the bassists passed out. Another bassist looked at the time, and with a shock, discovered that they only had three minutes get back into their positions to finish the symphony. They tried desperately to bring around the two bassists that had passed out, but it was no good. They thanked the man and ran out the door.

The bassist who came up with this idea in the first place told the others that he had come up with a plan in case such a thing happened. He explained to them that he had tied the last few pages of the score together so the count would have to slow the symphony way down so he could try to untie it with one hand.

Luckily, his scheme had worked...they made their entrance just in time, but one look at the count told them he was furious. And he had good reason to be, after all, it was the bottom of the 9th, the score was tied, the count was full, two men were out and the basses were loaded.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal