Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83781 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »
This build is epic!.....this is an awesome build!....Love seeing the updates!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
Doesnt look plain to me...nice work and glad to see the update too'

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
Better than a barn room floor.

Hugh.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:08:21 PM by ths »

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »
Thanks guys, the water tank sits on most of the rear deck so most of the wood is hidden. The wood is maple because I like how dense it is and the end gran looks good for the scale. I will post updates when ever there is something interesting to show.

:DrinkPint:
Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:30 AM »
Hi Dan
I live about half an hour away from Maroochdore, I wonder if this Engine is still up there somewhere.
Looking great Buddy.  :praise2: :praise2:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 03:27:19 AM »
Thanks Pete,
Parts of both Shays were saved. I worked with the museum director using my knowledge of the drawings to determine which parts were from which loco. The only part we are not sure about is the steam engine. The frame and boiler are from the Mapleton but the trucks are from the Dulong.  The existing  loco was named Shay and it is located here: http://www.nambourmuseum.org.au/

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:58 AM »
Thanks for the link Dan
when I get up that way next I will go have a look :ThumbsUp:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure there is a working Shae near Cairns used for the tourists and I think it's 2'6" gauge, Gympie also rings a bell. (Well it was 20 years ago and I was too busy looking out for crocs). Nothing quite like a big salty for focusing the attention.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 04:52:03 AM »
Hi Dan

I've been following along for a while without taking the time to say "Well done, Sir!", sorry, so, WELL DONE, SIR!

Looking good, and I really like your maple decking too :ThumbsUp:

Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, Joe

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »
Bob, I am not sure which that one could have been. There are only 3 Shays in Australia that i know of and unfortunately none of them are operational. The one being restored at the Illawarra Light Railway was 2' 6" originally but the trucks from the Mapleton S/N 2800 which are 2' gauge are being used for the rebuild. They have a frame, trucks and the crankshaft everything else will have to be made from scratch.
http://www.ilrms.com.au/

The Shay at Puffing Billy came from Tiawan and I am not sure if it was ever operational on the line. They did just recently restore the Climax and it is now on the operational roster. http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/about-puffing-billy/workshop-updates/

Here is the list of surviving Shays:
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/surviving/SLc-Survivors.htm

Joe thanks I am guilty of reading your Minne thread and just lurking also good luck with the hydro.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:13:43 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 02:25:39 AM »
I never found a drawing of the step backs but they show up clearly in a lot of photos. The curved edges is a really interesting detail. I need 7 step backs for both Shays so I drew up a file guide so I could use my die filler to make them identical.

Here is the drawing and 2 plates marked out for machining.

I used the mill for all the holes and I tapped one plate for 1.2mm bolts and the other plate has clearance holes and is used as a drill guide for the wood blanks. The die filler made the angle cuts on the plates. I then used the die filer to reduce the wood to match the metal plates.

I really like the extra detail of this part all the rest of the wood has straight lines so it makes the curves stand out.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
It has been a while since I posted here but the time has been spent on the drafting board with Alibre PE. The trucks are what is in the works. The 1907 Repair Parts catalog has a photo of the exact truck I am building. Here is the page from my collection.

The first thing up was to draw the gear. The pitch of the full size gear is 1.5" circular pitch. This with a long face width of 4" makes the scale version a very fine gear at the small end. I decided to give Shapeways another try with printed stainless steel gears. The original gear set is a 37/15 tooth set. I wanted the teeth to be a bit larger so I removed 2 teeth from the big gear and a single tooth from the small gear to make a 35/14 tooth set. I kept the pitch cone OD the same for the big gear and reworked the numbers. I used Gear Wheel Designer for the gear tooth profiles and I used the dfx of the tooth profiles at the big end and the small end to loft the tooth profile.

Here is the results from Shapeways. There was a bit of some type of grit in the gaps and it can be seen opposite the pinion. It was easy to remove with a tooth pick and mych better than the tech over cleaning a gear tooth. They are a bit rough but with a bit of grinding in I think they will work just fine and they are a lot cheaper gears that can be bought and have to be modified to something that is not right. The face length of modern gears is much shorter than what I need. This fact also made me reject the parallel depth method of making bevel gears.

The next thing up was the line shaft bearings. My plan is to have Shapeways print these in brass or bronze as they are a small part and I do not want to pour a different alloy. I use silicone bronze which is not a good choice for bearings. The Shapeways bronze is 90% copper 10% tin so which will make a better bearing the brass or bronze?

Here is the right truck bearing box from the back side with the lineshaft bearing and axle bearing in place. My plan is to have Shapeways make the master patterns for me in bronze. Then I will make a rubber mold for wax and use the lost wax process to make the parts.

Here is the left side showing how to remove the axle bearing by removing the cover than the thrust pad. The real axle bearing had a small T slot so it could be pulled out after the weight was taken off the bearing with jacks. I might tap a small hole so I can use a threaded rod to pull the bearing. The right side workes the same way the lineshaft and bearings have to be removed then the axle bearing can be changed. This was very handy for locos that did not have a large shop to maintain them in the woods.

Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
Happy to see another post here. Amazing project.
I took the opportunity to review the thread.
What a project!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Dan

Check your email....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »
Thanks guys for stopping by. I finished drawing the truck parts and much to my surprise Shapeways raw brass or bronze can even handle the casting numbers on the patterns in my scale. That was so cool I had to draw a tiny set of numbers to use on the patterns.

Here is the brake shoe with the brake head and hanger rod. The small holes on the back of the brake head will be for 1.2mm U bolts that hold the head onto the brake beam.

Here is the brake rigging all made up with out the shoes. I was hoping it would work in the assembly drawing but there are to many pivots and no way to constrain the shoe to move radially to the tire.

Now here is the rest of the truck assembly missing the brake rigging.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal