Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83708 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2018, 11:49:10 PM »
Carl, there is still a lot more to build like the engine and boiler. The truck is on a model shop floor. The old shops had end grain wood blocks that were set in with tar and would turn black with time. I learned on a shop floor like that and have end grain 4x4 blocks in my shop floor, so I just had to make a model version.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
Here is the model floor on my shop floor. All the 4x4's were the center of the tree and I cut them so they are matched. There are several patterns or alien critters but the owl was too good to put in the floor so it sits on the window ledge. There is a scale yardstick across the tracks to show the gauge which is scale 2' and 4'. There were several 4' Shays.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
That is just too cool.

I've never heard of doing a floor like that. What are the benefits?
How thick (deep) is each piece of your shop floor?
Did you make up the floor yourself?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
Great look ror the model and shop. I haven't seen a floor like that since I toured the old Delco or Rochester Products auto parts factories. Incredibly durable, easy on dropped tools, but a terror in a fire after decades of absorbing oil, which is how those old buildings ended after sitting abandoned.

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2018, 11:02:01 PM »
Carl, Yes I was on the crew that pored the concrete and framing crew for my shop. I did the floor with the help of my wife Alicia. She helped me sort the blocks and spot the patterns. The blocks in my floor are about 1.5" thick, but the old ones were much thicker. Chris already mentioned the main good and bad but it is also just cool to do it the old way.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
but it is also just cool to do it the old way.

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »
Hi Dan,

What's up with the Shay project? I spent the weekend reading this and the threads on 7/8" and everything in SITG. I have a 3/4" Shay in my future, I'm looking at construction #2990. Thanks for all the terrific information!

Yes I know this is an old thread.

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2021, 02:56:34 PM »
This project is on hold for now I hope to get back to it soon. I am working on a 1:20 scale model of S/N 10 the fourth Shay built and the first Shay with a builders photo, which is the reason it was chosen. There are no drawings for a Shay this early so all the work has to be from photos. I know this information needs photos and I will start a build thread soon.

Shop Number 2990 nice choice a 2-8x12 engine with a 35.375" straight boiler. Not really all that different from the Mapleton Shays. How far are you along in collecting the drawings? If you start a thread on this Shay I can post the Drawing Card Index (DCI) for this one and walk you through the process of finding the drawings.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2021, 05:01:56 PM »
Thanks Dan!
How far along am I? Just starting the journey, Cal State has but one drawing for this number.

I can start a thread but there won't be much to say at this point! However I'd love to hear about the drawing locating process!

Best,
Paul

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
Paul,
No worries I have helped several model engineers with drawing location and I have even helped engineers working on full size Shays. The California State Railroad Museum (CSRM) is going to have a lot more than one drawing I am sure.

I am a lifetime contributing member of the Allen County Historical Society (ACHS) and it should come as no surprise in what my speciality is. I answer Shay questions. I am sure that other folks will be interested in how to locate Lima Shay drawings.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
Yes - this other folk would be interested in knowing that process too!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2021, 05:34:10 PM »
Okey guys I will start a thread and use S/N 2990 as an example on how to go about this. I guess that this is a good location but if the mods want it in plans or elsewhere they can move it.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal