Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83721 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »
Looking good Dan.
On the silver solder front, on another forum, one of the guys covers the part with flux, he gets little to no blackening. What little he does get comes off pretty easy by all accounts. He also uses as little solder as he thinks he can get away with.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip Kerrin I will keep it in mind for future use.

I had to remake the chafe plates as somehow I got the drawing wrong and they had to be made shorter. After scraping the first top bolster I decided that I needed a simple fixture to clamp the side frames in place of the bottom tie bars. I took a section of 3/16" keystock and cut it to length and cut shoulders for the bottom bars. A section of flat stock was drilled and tapped for the clamp. Here is the finished assembly.

I then made a steel guide for the section of the bolsters between the spring plates. The milling machine is not really the best tool for working wood as it leaves a bur that can make layout lines very hard to see, so the guide marks the line. Here is the first side of the top bolster being machined for the spring plates.

Two sections of steel were cut the same length of the spring plate. They butted up against the center guide and a safety edge file was used to cut the rabbit for the chafe plates. This photo shows the guides shifted 90 degrees to make the last two rabbits.

I cut out the section of the bottom bolster that leaves room for the lineshaft then clamped it to the right side frame.

Then I put that assembly in a vise to drill the bolt holes,

I flipped the bolster guide upside down and used the top bolster to locate the hole for the center pin in the bottom bolster.

Now I could add the center guide to cut the dado for the spring plate in the bottom bolster.

Now time for a trial assembly. The springs are way too big but they were what was on the workbench. The center guide and its bottom plate can be seen next to the file guides.

Cheers Dan

ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2018, 01:27:59 AM »
Gotta love jigs - almost always worth the little bit of effort.

:popcorn:

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
Yes, Chris, I agree if you have to make more than one jigs can be a real time saver.

Fitting the inside brake beams took a bit of work. I used a section of 5/16" keystock to make the beams and I figured it was close enough to a 4" beam which scales to 0.292". The brakes did not fit between the bottom bolster and the drivers. I had to remove stock on the brake shoes. I wound some coarse emery cloth on round stock the size of the driver and reduced the thickness of the brake shoe on an angle to match the drivers. It was slow work but quicker than making a whole new set of brake beams. I will be making some true scale 4" beam for the next truck.

Here are the results:

The orange bits are foam earplugs acting as tempory springs

Next up the top cross bars and diagonal bars.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2018, 11:53:03 PM »
I decided to try my hand at making the square head bolts and the socket washers to hold the center plate to the top bolster I had been wanting to make some square bolts for a while and when I worked out how to make the socket washers even though they can not be seen in the finished model I had to give it a go.

The square bolt size is 1.2mm and 1/2" long with a 2mm square head. I did not have any 2mm square stock so I made up some from 2mm stock. I used the die filler to cut strips a little oversize then I used the mill to cut that to size. I have homemade step jaws for my vise step jaws. The brass strip holding the stock is 1/16" thick.

There is no way with a single point tool to cut the whole shank of the bolt at once the first cut was 3/16" and I threaded that section.

This was the first real use of the production slide for my lathe. The close handle is the compound feed which is set straight and the stop is set to just keep the tool from hitting the chuck jaws. The back handle is the crossfeed and the stop screw is set to cut to 1.2mm. You just have to bump the crossfeed in and take the cut. If you get gready or make the cut too fast snap there goes another bolt. It is annoying to start over but I have had chips larger that that flying off a lathe. Here is the second 3/16" cut.

And the final cut to make the 1/2" length.

Here is a bunch of unfinished bolts. The first bunch I cut off with a mini chop saw but that was the hard way as the heads were not cut to length.

I reset the compound stop so I could use the tool edge as a work stop and use the back cutoff tool.

Now switching to a collet the cutoff tool is set to cut off the tiny nub left and the other tool is set to chamfer the square head.

Now on to the socket washer. The real ones are a cast iron socket for hex nuts with two splines to keep them from spinning in a wood hole. I used a Bell System tool to smash splines on a 4mm brass rod.

Then this was drilled and cutoff.

I drilled a hole in a wood block to hold the socket washer to file off the nub and then tap the hole.

I will finish the top bolster tomorrow.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
The top bolster is almost done I only have to install the side bearing blocks. I want to make sure they match the frame one rides on the frame and the other on a plate riveted to the frame cross channels.

Here is a blurry shot of using a drill guide to drill the center plate.

Then I drilled the bolt holes through the bolster.

I made a steel section of the socket washer section so I could cut the splines in the wood before installing the socket washers.

Here is the installed center plate and the side bearing blocks ready to be installed the pins are pressed into the bottom of the block to prevent rotation.

The square nuts were worth the effort.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »
Hi Dan,
 Great work looking good!

I agree the square nuts are worth it, even if you need eye balls on storks to be able to see them!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
Hi Kerrin, yes those square heads will be hard to see and the ones holding the side bearings will not be seen at all when the truck is on the frame. It was still worth the effort to do it like the drawings and the closer you look the better the model looks.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Top bolster finished the side bearing blocks line up with the frame pads just like they should.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2018, 11:22:55 PM »
Is the wood bolster the real part, or is that just a placeholder till the real one is made from metal?

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2018, 01:29:26 AM »
Chris the real part was made from oak I used maple as it has a closer grain for a model where the end grain can be seen.

There is a spacer collar to hold the brake rods in the correct location. This is a small part with a small square set screw. I made the set screw from 1/16" steel keystock which is a bit overscale but the smallest size I can handle with a collet. Here are enough collars for both trucks.

While I had the brake assembly removed I drilled the holes for the bolster guides.

Here are the new parts assembled.

Now for a group shot with the truck and frame.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2018, 02:14:20 AM »
Wow, never knew they were wood. Cool.

Looking great!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2018, 02:24:53 AM »
Chris, I am actually making two Shays S/N 2091 named Dulong and S/N 2800 named Mapleton. They were both built to the same plan with a few differences. The Mapleton had steel channels and plates for the truck bolsters and I might make it that way but the plan now is to make both with the early style truck with the wood bolsters. The existing Shay has the Mapleton frame and boiler with the Dulong trucks so that is my excuse.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
I finished the top and bottom crossbars and the diagonal bars. I used the tempory bottom bars as a silver soldering fixture for the bottom crossbars, here is the setup.

There are a few finish details and then paint but the paint will wait until the second truck is finished.

I made a count of the parts to build one truck not counting nuts, bolts, washers, and pins, the total is 117 parts. I counted the gear guards which I do not plan to model as they were soon removed and not seen in any photo except for the builders photo.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
I wished I'd done a better job of keeping up with things. This is so cool.

What is the truck sitting on top of? It's a cool shot.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal