Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83669 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
The pics in 132 are awesome.
I try to follow as best I can...sure is enjoyable.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »
Thanks Zee, this might be helpful the 1907 Repair Parts Catalog has a detail shot of the very same truck I am building.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »
I love the old catalogs like that, amazing information about parts and uses. Is that one available online or did you luck into a paper copy?

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
Chris,
There is a reprint of the catalog done by Cass and it is what I started with but I found an original copy a few years back and it is a real treasure. I made my first trucks with the photos. I now have almost all the drawings for this build. I printed all the drawings in "Steam in the Garden" a few years back. They were for the most part printed at 7/8 scale with full size dimensions so they could be used for building in any scale.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
The rod section of the brake hanger is .073" brass. I could have threaded it 1-72 but I went with Locktite instead. Here is the drilling fixture to cross drill the rod ends.

I drilled a small piece of brass for the gluing fixture. The other one has a 5/64" steel rivet attaching it to a brake head.

Now for the trial assembly of the brake hangers.

The right side is missing the brake shoe. I should be getting new blades for my mini table saw so I can make the wood bolsters to attach the brake levers.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Fantastic project - I like it a lot even though there's no chance that I will build one myself.

I seem to remember that what you call a Truck is called a Boogie here in Europe - or am I completely mistaken  :noidea:

You have a lot of details and minor items on this build  :praise2:

Best wishes

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
Fantastic project - I like it a lot even though there's no chance that I will build one myself.

I seem to remember that what you call a Truck is called a Boogie here in Europe - or am I completely mistaken  :noidea:

You have a lot of details and minor items on this build  :praise2:

Best wishes

Per
I thought it was a Bogie on the train, that a Boogie was what dripped off your nose...  :Lol:

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
Chris, I thought a boogie was a dance... I really hope my Shay does not start dancing down the track.

Per yes we call a bogie a truck on this side of the pond.

I have to do the brake hangers again I was not looking at the detail drawing. I used the assembly drawing which I did not update after I found the detail part.

I made a brake shoe key today photos tomorrow.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
Thank you for the answer Dan.

Chris - I work in the music buisnes (and play too), so .... I like to Boogie, I like to Bogie ...  :noidea: ... Ups .... but I'm dyslexic so that happens from time to time - at least somebody got a good giggle.

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 10:44:40 PM »
The brake hangers have to be remade because I made the diameter of the ends to large and there is no room for the brake shoe key.

The key is a thin strip of metal shaped like a T. As this is a very small detail and it is too small for the milling machine, so I used two 5/8" lathe bits as a file guide. The photo shows setting up the guide upside down on two strips of brass the thickness of the metal to be removed. There are vertical strips of the key stock on the outside edge of the clamps to keep the tool bits parallel.

Here is the other side with finished keys and keys installed in the brake heads. An unfinished key is clamped ready for filling.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2018, 12:04:28 AM »
The metal I made the brake shoe keys from is a recycled 1 pound propane tank. This is a really nice material to work with as it is very malleable and can be worked cold without any cracking. It is 0.024" thick which makes it a but over 5/16" in 7/8" scale.

The key was tapered on a chunk of round stock found on the bench. I wrapped it around the and held it with a C clamp so I had room for the file.

I was having trouble cleaning out the slots for the key as I only have one or two files that tiny. Then I got the idea to cut 1/16" strips of 180 grit emery cloth and threading in in the slot. That worked like a champ.

Here are all the brakes for 2 trucks. It is simpler to fit the shoe before the brake head is riveted to the beam.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »
I used finish nails for the rod section of the new brake hangers and silver soldered the ends on. I used a ceramic brick with 2mm square holes to hold the parts for solder.

I was not really happy with the first set of rivets holding the brake heads to the beams so a made a custom bucker block and switched to copper rivets as they form better in difficult locations.

I also made a set of rivet dies for a General automatic center punch. The dies are simpler to make than the ones I was making for the Starret punch and the dies can be changed without taking the punch apart.

I found some 22 ga. half round SS wire so I decided to make my own cotter pins. 22 ga. is 0.64mm which is smaller than 1/32" cotter pins which is the smallest I could find.

Here is the assembly ready to install. I have three more parts to make the piece with 4 holes is the start of a drill guide for the brake stop rod.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2018, 02:15:40 PM »
Great looking parts. Clever backing iron for the rivets too!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:52 AM »
Thanks Chris, I made a bunch of custom bucking bars for the frame but that one will be easy to remember what it was made for.

The first part up today was the brake stop rod. It is really more of a strap but that is what the repair parts book calls it. Here is the first side being drilled with the drill guide.

Then the other side is folded around the drill guide and the second side is drilled.

The last step is to attach the file guides and round the edge of the brake stop rod.

The next part is the bracket that attaches the brake stop rod to the top truck bolster. It is folded from 20 ga steel sheet. Here it is finished and the brake stop rod installed. One of the other three holes will be attached to the short brake lever. The extra holes are to take up brake shoe wear. The long brake lever is attached to the frame brake rigging.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »
The only thing left on the truck brake assembly is the stop collars for the brake rods which is a simple lathe job.

The part for today is the chafe plate for the ends of the top bolster. The real ones are cast iron so I went with 20 ga steel. I made a former die from 3/32" steel the size of the wood bolster end. The first one I made I silver soldered the corners which worked but made everything black that had to be cleaned for the other two corners. A simpler method was to miter the corners to fit much better with a square file.

Here are the steps to make a chafe plate and one sitting on a bolster guide to check the fit.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal