Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83786 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »
That's quite a machine!

:popcorn:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
That's quite a machine!

Chris,
Yes I drill a lot of small holes two jobs on this Shay build come to mind drilling the frames and drilling the steam cylinder. I did them with the Servo drill press but the work was not very securely held and that can lead to more in the scrap bin.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 03:57:47 PM »
Hi Dan,
I can see lead screws for the Y & Z axes, but do not see any for the X? Does the spindle with the horizontal motor move?  It almost looks like you could do milling on it. I looked up the company but did not see any machinery on there.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
Gerald, the table is on round linear bearings and you simply push it into the drill bit. There is a mount in front for a dial indicator and a rod on the table that is adjustable that engages the dial point. The back rail has two stops to limit the table travel.

Here is a link to the specs:
https://www.westhoffinc.com/files/2012/09/MicroFlush.pdf?x21635

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »
Thanks Dan,
That is one very interesting machine.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
Progress on the wheel sets. I just have to trim the length and diameter of the bearing fits. I just had to see a trial assembly.

I will be packing up my mobile shop tomorrow for the trip to the International G1 Steamup at Diamondhead MS.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »
Dan,
That just looks really cool!
So, I'm sure it's back in your thread somewhere, but did you make all those castings?  They look really great!
Kim

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:07 PM »
Kim, I did all the castings except for the gears and the line shaft bearings. I only cast silicon bronze which is a bit hard for a bearing so I used Shapeways for the line shaft bearings. The gears were cast from a part made with a 3D printer. I would have used Shapeways but they do not cast a white bronze which I think looks better,

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2018, 12:29:08 AM »
The half brass stock I made was a tad too narrow. I should have measured the stock as it was undersized.

I made some new half brass stock that fits the pocket correctly. The thickness of the brasses is .126" on the print so I used 1/8" tool steel for a file guide to get the thickness correct.

I made a mandrel from a section of 1/4" square stock so I could cut the sections to length. The width of the bearings is .225" so with the 2 of the jaws are gripping the steel mandrel and the other two clamp a set of half brass bearings. Simply undo the brass jaws for the next set of half brass bearings.

The final step is to use a small center drill to drill and chamfer the oil hole.

I cut down the right side of one of the axles and the gears will mesh fine. I have to cut down the thrust collars on the lineshaft as they are a bit oversize and hit the inside edge of the gear teeth.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2018, 01:43:31 AM »
Hi Dan,
 Coming on very nicely!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2018, 07:54:59 AM »
Very nice frame for your loco.
Shop made lost wax castings too, wow, amazing work is going on this thread, thanks to share !

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:02 PM »
Thanks guys for stopping by. It took me way longer than I expected to fit the lineshaft. The collars had to be reduced several times to get it right. I made them to the drawing size and they were still too large. I dropped several half bearings doing trial assemblies until I realized it is simpler to flip the truck upside down. Only one was lost to the shop elves.

I made up yet another 5/32 expanding mandrel, this time I used a 1-72 Allen head cap screw with a 100 taper for the expanding screw. The 2-56 one did not leave enough metal. Here is the chucking piece on the pinions being cut back.

Once I had the lineshaft fitted and the gears meshing cutting the left side of the axle was a simple job. It is starting to take shape.

The bottom cross bars had to be filed because they were cast for 1/16 x 1/4 stock with a round edge but the bottom bars were laser cut 2mm by 1/4. I make them long and in 2 pieces because getting something long and skinny to cast to the correct length has never worked for me. It is simpler to fit them and silver solder the joint.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:25 AM »
Looking great! Those line shafts need a lot of parts to fit very closely, great job!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »
Excellent  :praise2: That's a lot of bits to keep in alignment  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
It was good to get the gears to work as they have been the weak link on every other Shay truck I have built. Now on to the brake rigging. I already had the steel I beams made up by using a gear cutter for a rack. The brake heads are riveted to the beams and the fulcrum is bolted with 1.2mm U bolts and nuts.

I will make the brake hangers tomorrow.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal