Author Topic: Shay Locomotive S/N 2800  (Read 83795 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Shay Locomotive
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Thanks, Chris they did come out a lot better than the last ones I did.

Here is the truck assembly fixture. The wheel bearing pockets are square so I cut a section of steel to just fit. The steel bars are on the far right next to the base which has set screws in the ends to hold the bearing pocket bar. Two smaller bars clamp the backs of the bearing pedestals with set screws in the top plate.

Here is the whole fixture assembled with all four bearing pedestals clamped in place.

The fixture will have several functions the first one is to true up the top and bottom mounting surfaces. I put a full sheet of emery cloth on the surface plate and leveled the top and bottoms of the pedestals.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:12 PM »
I had to move the Levin to the house as it was just too cold in the shop to work. I decided to make the lineshaft collars and split thrust bearings. The rear shaft is a bit different and has thrust collars on both right pedestals. The very end collar is different and has a tiny taper key. I will model that latter.

I cut down a section of SS to 13/32 and machined the back side of the collars.

Using a piece of the 13/32 stock I made a mandrel to turn the thrust washers. They are split so they can be replaced by removing the lineshaft. There is no way to get two from a single section so I made extra.

I had to leave a longer chucking section on the collars that hold the split bearings so I could bore the recess.

I bought extra screws for the expanding mandrels I have so I could make them without waiting for a new one to get to me. The smallest screw is a 2-56 Allen head cap screw with a 10 degree taper. Here is a tapered mill cutting the mandrel after it has been tapped 2-56.

The homemade mandrel worked great to cut off the chucking piece off. Here are both mandrels with the finished parts.

Cheers Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2018, 01:27:35 AM »
Nice!

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2018, 02:12:26 AM »
Hi Chris, shouldn't that be  'In model engineers we trust"  ....!!Amazing work going on here Dan  really cool....
Willy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:21:29 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »
Hi, Willy if I ever make up a giant coin I will have to use that line to see if anyone notices.

I made up a spare bottom bar to be used as a drill template. I drilled through both center holes for the bottom bolster and made a center hole for the pedestals.

I have some small 0-80 thumb screws that work very well for temporary assembly.

Both bottom bars attached with thumb screws.

Here is the arch bar bender set to bend the arch bar.

The arch bar bender set to make the inverted arch bar,

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
Those thumbscrews are a great idea.

How does that bender work?

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »
Hi Chris, the little hole in the bar goes on one of the pins and the bigger pin with the brass knob forces the stock to bend around the pin. The brass knob was a drop piece from another project just laying around on the workbench.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
Hi Chris, the little hole in the bar goes on one of the pins and the bigger pin with the brass knob forces the stock to bend around the pin. The brass knob was a drop piece from another project just laying around on the workbench.

Cheers Dan

Slick!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi Chris, shouldn't that be  'In model engineers we trust"  ....!!Amazing work going on here Dan  really cool....
Willy
Centuries' back while bored on a night shift I found some ink that matched the printing on an American $5 bill, I used calligraphy pens and added "All others Pay Cash" under  In God we Trust. It matched the style of the printing exactly and you had to use a magnifying glass to tell I had done it. I pinned it up on the wall and forgot about it. Being in Canada at that time you did not see much America bills, when I got back into work a couple of days latter the Boss called me into his office. One of the other employees who was not too swift had refused American money from customers because there bill did not have "All others Pay Cash" under  In God we Trust.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Willy
Centuries' back while bored on a night shift I found some ink that matched the printing on an American $5 bill, I used calligraphy pens and added "All others Pay Cash" under  In God we Trust. It matched the style of the printing exactly and you had to use a magnifying glass to tell I had done it. I pinned it up on the wall and forgot about it. Being in Canada at that time you did not see much America bills, when I got back into work a couple of days latter the Boss called me into his office. One of the other employees who was not too swift had refused American money from customers because there bill did not have "All others Pay Cash" under  In God we Trust.
Gerald.

:ROFL: :lolb:
Priceless!

There is one of the auto repair places near me that changed to new owners this past year. I went in for a boat trailer inspection, and was surprised to see that they no longer ACCEPT cash, only checks and credit cards! First time I hit that one anywhere. Maybe they don't trust their employees with cash, just our credit card numbers!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2018, 12:34:04 AM »
Good story Gerald. I had a machine shop just outside the control room on one of the ships I had to stand boring watches, so I would just make stuff for something to do.

It took a bit of adjusting to make the arch bar assembly lie flat in both planes. I made a drilling fixture to drill the center holes for the tie rods. It is a thumb screw clamp the width of the wood bolsters. Drilling the arch bar.

Drilling the inverted arch bar.

I made a similar clamp to drill the holes for the pedestals. The whole assembly is drilled at once with the tap drill for 0-80. I will explain why I used the tap drill tomorrow with photos.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
The reason I used the tap drill is I wanted to tap the inverted arch bar so I could use a screw as a clamp to hold the arch bars together when drilling the holes in the top of the pedestals. Much smaller than any clamp I have. I had some small flat head screws just the right length.

I have drilled the first side and put in a bolt ready to drill the second side.

Now just remove the flat head screws and drill the other two holes.

Here both sides are done. I still have to trim back the arch bars to match the inverted bar.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
Lovely work, Dan! I'm following your work and eagerly await the next installment. :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »
Looking great!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
Thanks, Pete and Chris for stopping by.

The last step for the truck frame assembly fixture is to ream the line shaft bearings. I found a nifty machine that came from the EDM industry. It is a horizontal drilling machine. It only has a 1/8" keyless chuck which is the same chuck as on my small Servo drill press. I found a set of collets threaded 1/4-28 and cut down an adaptor for the chuck so I could use a 5/32" reamer for the line shaft bearings.

Here is the setup.

Here is the whole machine. The tag reads Westhoff Machine Co. St Louis MO.

The standard length of a 5/32" reamer is only 4" that was only long enough to start the reamer in the second bearing. To get more travel I removed the right pedestal. I was still a bit short the point of the reamer was just poking out.

I finished the job by removing the pedestal and using the drill press.

The frame assembly fixture has finished its work until the next set of side frames.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal