Author Topic: Shay Locomotives how to find the drawings to build one  (Read 5525 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Shay Locomotives how to find the drawings to build one
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 10:21:50 PM »
Thats a good looking little loco, looks like you have a bunch of parts made for it on the desk? 

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 10:32:44 PM »
Chris the gears on the laptop keyboard are Lima Shay #6 gears and most of the rest of the stuff is mostly the Graham Shay engine disassembled which was fun to take apart and draw in 3D cad. I will start the truck left side Monday and have a proper build thread soon.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »
Here is the computer corner of my drafting office.
By way of comparison, here is my drafting office. :facepalm: :)
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »
That looks like my secondary location only I can watch TV at the same time good for the cut and paste of the CSRM database. It is going to take a while to chew through that file but when done it will have the links to the CSRM webpage, click on the owner and every Shay they had with a CSRM index will pop up.

It is not possible to search for the CSRM record ID or at least I could not figure it out. I think the ID numbers will be a block of numbers for both DIs and DCIs, but my search pattern leads to a jumbled dataset.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2021, 09:30:09 PM »
I am making slow progress on working out how to find Lima Shay documents at CSRM, I found out how to search for the source record id which is the unique identity number. I was correct the DCI records are in sequence so this will help to find all of them in the CSRM collection.

I went backward with the identification number and found a mixed bag of drawings with no obvious reason to be in a continuous block. Then I spotted a Shay card redrawn in 2005 which really got my attention.

https://csrm.andornot.com/en/permalink/techdrawing143001

T 173 Plan 189 2 7X12 Details of line shaft

Well, I know this drawing came to me in two parts with card number 231. Both parts have the file in drawer number so the drawing was damaged at the loco works way before it was at CSRM.

I took extra care to redraw this card with the closest I could get to the original fonts and all the notes.

I gave a copy of the restored drawing to CSRM on my next visit and never knew anything else about it. The old number could be seen through the blackout used to cover it and I kept that visible so it became the drawing number.

The small section of the drawing and my restored version are attached. If you look at the top the original draftsman is L.E.F 10/16/93  I simply added Redrawn 3/24/2004 D.G.R.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »
Here is the small section of the original drawing.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 11:26:11 PM »
Hi Dan....

I realise the original fabrication of the Line Drive Shafts nominates the forging of the Flanges, then a press on assembly, however will you be using say a silver soldered fabrication for the model Flanges?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 11:36:01 PM »
Hi Derek,

I do have a Stuart steam hammer but I will take the easy route and silver solder the lineshaft thrust pads and pinions to the lineshaft.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
That's really neat with the drawing! Your work will live on!

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2021, 02:43:14 PM »
Paul, thanks the initials L.E.F are for Lewis E. Feightner who I believe did his apprentice work under the first main draftsman R.B. McWhirter. The erecting card of S/N 313 by McWhirter is simply a masterwork. L.E.F moved up the ranks to the engineering department and has several Shay patents to his name.

In looking for how to spell the names correctly I hit pay dirt. I forgot I have a copy of the first 228 pages of the red Shay books at CSRM. This lists all the Shays and if there is a DCI or Di in the CSRM collection. This is exactly what the old web database had and I forgot I had it because it was simpler to use the web.

This makes making an Excel database much simpler and I can make it hyperlink to the current online database.

It will take a while to complete the database so in the meantime I can still help with Shay drawings the old fashioned way using paper records.

Cheers Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
Paul, to finish the lookup of 2990 CSRM does not have the DCI that was posted in this thread but they do have Detail Index 186 which will be a slightly better document to work from because it lists a few drawings that were never listed on the DCI form.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:35 PM »
I have worked it out that what I have been looking at is the set of Plan drawing cards that have the first Shay built to the drawing included in the listing.

There is not any way to look for a DCI or a DI on the current CSRM database. I am so glad I found my manual backup copy.

Here is a link to the order forms:
https://www.californiarailroad.museum/visit/library/forms

Here is the link that states "If you are having difficulty locating a specific drawing, or need Lima Index information, please contact the Library & Archives."

https://csrm.andornot.com/

Hopefully, I have explained this somewhat complex system of Shay drawings. It took me several years and searching for a lot of Shay drawings for me and for other builders who have asked for help over the years to gain a working knowledge of the Lima Shay drawing system.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2021, 12:09:03 AM »
Great info Dan - thanks very much!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal