Author Topic: Wade Cav lathe  (Read 16230 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Re: Wade Cav lathe
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:53:21 AM »
I have a 4 jaw scroll style(self centering) Tommy bar chuck here but it is something like 3/4 -16 . most the ones I see on the net are metric thread.
Tin

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
 I have had mine for around 12 years now, and when i was researching what i could about this lathe, i found that Joe Martins "Craftsmanship Museum" also has one.
After discussing this lathe with Tony Griffiths, concerning the number of change gears i also got an email from a lad in New Zealand that had one, but his was i think the earlier model if i remember.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
I have had mine for around 12 years now, and when i was researching what i could about this lathe, i found that Joe Martins "Craftsmanship Museum" also has one.
After discussing this lathe with Tony Griffiths, concerning the number of change gears i also got an email from a lad in New Zealand that had one, but his was i think the earlier model if i remember.

I didn't realize it was such a rare bird.  I've had mine for around 35 years.  It has been sitting in a closet collecting dust until a couple of weeks ago.
On Tony Griffiths site he says he has never seen one with the cross slide.  Maybe I'll contact him and see if he wants some pictures.

John

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
 Re: send pics of cross slide:

Good idea John, mine has the cross slide also. When i talked to Tony he didn't have all the numbers of the change gears, but he does now , as i sent them to him .
I really should sell mine, as i am never going to use it, (too scarce), and i would rather have someone have it that will display it or somesuch.
I bought mine at a sale years back, it has a nice brass tag, as sold by a hardware co. in Toronto Ontario.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
I sent Tony an e-mail and he is interested in some hi-resolution and close up pictures.
If you do decide to sell yours I would be VERY interested in what you could get for it. How much would you even list if for?
I am not sure what I will do with mine at the moment.  My first inclination is to set it up to run off a Stuart No.9 for demo's at shows and display it at my office between shows.  It's an engineering office so there will be a steady flow of interested people.

John

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
 Have no idea what to ask for it, think i'd just put it on Ebay, and see how it goes. Hopefully it wouldn't go to some moron who would wreck it.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:57 AM »
Please let me know if you list it on E-bay.  I would be very interested in following.  Heck, maybe I would even bid on it ;)

John

Offline Mightymoe762

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
I've had one of these (minus the cross slide):( for several years now. I have read a few things about them but I cannot find a true list of options or a manual for it.  I see you have a draw bar for collets.  I wish I had One.  I shouldn't complain for mine was a gift from a friend who's dad died and my friend gave it to me.  I have a number of original attachments to include thirteen or so gears, centers and taper attachments,  three jaw Mass chuck, pin and chain, and  a number of CAV wrenches.  I use it to turn soft materials and I have grand plan to mount it on an old cherry dental desk I restored.  Did yours come with that chuck and draw bar?  Do you know if that was an original option? Are there any collets for it?
 I have been looking for another because of how neat they are...
Mike
Machines are my passion.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 02:20:56 AM »
I was thinking that if I started a Wade Cav fan club it would be pretty lonely.  But now it looks like there would be 3 of us anyway.  Probably more fans than...oh never mind, I don't think I will go there.
What are you using to run yours, direct drive motor or do you have a counter-shaft?  I'd love to see some pictures.
Mine came with the chuck and draw bar and an assortment of collets. I have no idea if it was an original option. The collets appear to be 8mm watchmakers lathe collets.  Look on e-bay under watchmakers lathe.

John

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:30 AM »
I was thinking that if I started a Wade Cav fan club it would be pretty lonely.  But now it looks like there would be 3 of us anyway.  Probably more fans than...oh never mind, I don't think I will go there.
What are you using to run yours, direct drive motor or do you have a counter-shaft?  I'd love to see some pictures.
Mine came with the chuck and draw bar and an assortment of collets. I have no idea if it was an original option. The collets appear to be 8mm watchmakers lathe collets.  Look on e-bay under watchmakers lathe.

John

:lolb:

Try a Waltham Machine works Lathe.....Hens teeth are down right plentiful!....in 15 years I've only seen 1 other one....ever!

Mine is on Tony's site

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline JP

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 01:41:54 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm revisiting this forum because I just found a Wade CAV round bed lathe on the side of the road and am trying to give it a new life by finding out as much about the lathe as possible.

I'm new to lathes/machining and have some questions.

All parts appear to be in working order, a little stiff. I'm wondering what sort of oil should I use to lubricate everything.

I'm also hoping to date the lathe. I think it's old but I want to know how old. There is a serial number in one of the photos.

Also in this photo is a tag that says, "Brighton Aird&Co".

I've read somewhere that there were 13 gears that came with the original lathes, I think I have them all.

I'm not sure what the rings are for. I notice they are tapered with the thicker edge where the nail has been tacked on.

You can see where I've done some cleaning/polishing and where I haven't. The bed and handles are wooden which i think is strange.

I don't know what sized motor to get. I.e. what sort of torque/rpm it should have. I have a solar panel/charge controller/12V battery set up so I'd like it to be a 12V DC motor.

Despite the tag and origin of the lathe, I'm in Melbourne, Australia if anyone wants to check it out.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

JP

Offline Mainlogger

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 08:54:42 AM »
I was browsing recently and spotted posts on the Wade lathes and since I have just finished the refurbishment of my fathers old Wade No1, I thought it appropriate to post some info and a pic of his lathe. 

The No1 was the most basic of the Wade line-up, manufactured after 1921, with a tubular steel bed. The headstock, tailstock and carriage were cast aluminium. The spindle bearings were originally poured whitemetal and split so the bearings could be “nipped up” as wear occurred. Although the whitemetal has completely gone from the bearing area, remnants of it are still visible in the oil hole. Lubrication to the bearings was by oiler through a simple drilling but later versions had brass oil caps. Dads lathe only has the drillings so it puts it within early production dates.
This lathe was driven by a large three stepped cast iron treadle operated vee-pulley which I no longer have.

I have had the lathe since my father died and dragged it out from the old wooden crate that it has been stored in since 1985 and while I have not restored the lathe to new condition, it is now complete and mounted for display.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2022, 04:22:50 PM »
Wow, that's a very pretty little antique!

I take it you don't use that lathe in your shop? :)

Kim

Offline Mainlogger

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 02:54:10 PM »
Definitely not Kim. Although it is perfectly operational, it is just an ornament now and will be passed to my eldest son when I depart this planet. Fortunately he has an interest in steam engines and things mechanical so the lathe won't be thrown in a corner and forgotten.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal