Author Topic: Soddy circles and plug gages  (Read 4960 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Soddy circles and plug gages
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
Measuring the diameter of holes is difficult enough but the problem compounds when the diameter is relatively small.

The sure fire way to get accurate sizes is to use plug gages.  However a set of plug gages can be pricey.  Despite this, most people fail to realize that plug gages can be used to measure holes larger than the largest plug in the set - thus extending the effective range of the set and adding a bit of justification to the cost.  For example, a plug gage set with a maximum plug size of 0.25 can be used to measure holes up to 0.536.

The way to do this depends on a bit of mathematics known as the Soddy circle.  If I place three circles of differing diameters such that each is tangent to the other two, it's always possible to draw a circle around these three that is tangent to each of the three.   2000 years ago Apollonius addressed this problem.  Much later (1936), a mathematician named Soddy derived a formula for this circle, known now as the 'outer Soddy circle' (yes, there is an inner Soddy circle, but we
don't need to go into that here).

The outer circle represents the hole whose diameter we wish to measure.  The three inner circles represent the three plugs we'll use to determine the outer circle diameter.

Calculating the Soddy circle diameter given the diameter of the three plugs is a bit of messy mathematics.

d1*d2*d3/(d2*d3+d1*(d2+d3)-2.*sqrt(d1*d2*d3*(d1+d2+d3)))

Unless you're comfortable with this sort of thing you're advised to use the Soddy program included with PLUG.ZIP on my page.  You enter the diameters of the three plugs you've fit into the hole you wish to measure and it returns the diameter of the Soddy circle.

The more interesting question revolves around which three plugs to select to use as a gage when boring a hole to a desired size.  Sadly, there is no closed form solution to this problem and a computer is needed to do an exhaustive search.  The PLUG program that is part of the above mentioned archive does just that.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Soddy circles and plug gages
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
Interesting Marv !  When I enter the formula into Excel though I am getting a negative number, though the absolute value of that number is correct as confirmed by drawing the three circles in CAD and then checking the diameter of a circle which circumscribes the first three and is tangent to each. The only possible source of a negative number would be the -2*sqrt.... expression.  What am I doing wrong?

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Interesting Marv !  When I enter the formula into Excel though I am getting a negative number, though the absolute value of that number is correct as confirmed by drawing the three circles in CAD and then checking the diameter of a circle which circumscribes the first three and is tangent to each. The only possible source of a negative number would be the -2*sqrt.... expression.  What am I doing wrong?

I left out the absolute value function on the premise that nobody would understand that.  Also I didn't mention that, by changing the sign on the radical, one can compute the diameter of the inner Soddy circle.  I included the formula merely to indicate that it isn't a trivial calculation.

The program sorts this all out correctly.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. Nice to know I haven't forgotten ALL my math quite yet anyway.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
Just to be clear...

ABS(d1*d2*d3/(d2*d3+d1*(d2+d3)-k*2.*sqrt(d1*d2*d3*(d1+d2+d3))))

with k = +1 returns the diameter of the outer Soddy circle; k = -1 yields the diameter of the inner Soddy circle.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
So how bad is the math for figuring out which 3 gage pins to use for a specified diameter...or were you implying in your first post that its a trial and error thing until the correct combination if found?  Hence the need for a computer?

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Believe me, you don't want to do exhaustive search by hand.

If you're really interested in the procedure, the source code is included in the downloadable archive.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »
Bill, I suspect that you were entering values for a hypothetical hole rather than a real one you had drilled or reamed.
Excel did its job and showed that no hole existed.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
Thanks for that, Marv.  Interesting and useful.   :ThumbsUp:

Regards,
Rudy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal