Author Topic: A bit of woodworking—file rack  (Read 4552 times)

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
A bit of woodworking—file rack
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »
Today was "clean up the workshop after a build" day, as well as feeling a bit too under the weather to cut metal. I've been casting a leery eye at my coffee can full of files, knowing that it's bad to have them all jostling together. So after a quick trip to the hardware store to get some materials, I threw together a file rack.

The ply was left over from an earlier project (metal stock storage rack), and happened to be a good size. At the hardware store I got strips of 1/2" and 3/16" square poplar to act as spacers. Then came the tricky game of deciding on the slot sizes:

The slats were glued and tacked in with a couple of small nails. Some of the slots were even sizes (1", 3/4" etc), and some were sized by placing a file in slot with a shim for clearance, and butting up the slat (using a square to keep things straight). There are two rows; larger at the back, smaller at the front. The slots are open at the bottom for more visibility, and to let the crud out.

The rack is tilted forward with a 1"x1" spacer behind the top, for easier access.

Most of the files you see there I've accumulated from estate sales etc. I think I've only every bought 3 files new.  :shrug:

Guess what the first thing was that I saw when I opened the drawer where I keep my riffler files? Yup, two more files that I forgot to account for; big 'uns too. :facepalm: They sit on top for now.

Simon

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
A bit of woodworking—file rack
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Useful, and looks good too. Bummer about the other two.

Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A bit of woodworking—file rack
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Great idea and well executed Simon.  That's a lot of useful storage in a relatively small space.  Nicely done!!

Bill

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Nice Idea.  Everyone should have a file file.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
Great idea and a cool project Simon. You have now added yet *another* project to my ever increasing list of things-I-want-to-do.  :ShakeHead: 

BC1
Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal