Author Topic: Hasbrouck #7 Double Size.  (Read 16349 times)

Offline VANYA

Re: Hasbrouck #7 Double Size.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
Below are the You Tube links for the French  fibreglass steam powered canoe, the owner  I have been in contact with and who has been very helpful telling me in great detail what all his components are and the places to get them, even the engine /prop shaft coupling.

It is small, it appears unstable and looks uncomfortable but you must give him praise for making it work. Like any steam project it cost a lot of money and he even upgraded the boiler to a bigger one which you see in the video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIzSTuugQo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIzSTuugQo</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR8i-tt0b04" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR8i-tt0b04</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_QUhurRV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_QUhurRV8</a>

It might be a toy to some but the owner obviously likes it and so do his kids. Like myself it might be the first of many boats for him.

I like his ideas and simplicity anyway.

Hayden

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »
Cool boat!

I like it....what is that a ST 4?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
Sure looks like a Stuart No. 4 to me! Nice boiler too.

Simon

Offline VANYA

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Simon,

Yes it is a Stuart#4 which he purchased off ebay and the boiler is made by Maxitrack in the UK.

It is an interesting project that Oliver, the French owner, has undertaken. He obviously just wanted a steam canoe and worked hard to achieve it, learning from his trials along the way. He even had a propeller cast specially for his needs to suit his setup.

I guess all that can be said is that it does work and he is happy and it satisfies his type of sailing.It is pretty neat.

Hayden

Offline VANYA

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
Simon,

I remember reading your build log for the ST 4. All I need to know in those pages!

I just wish there was a ST 4.5 with a bit more power.

Hayden

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:20 PM »
I enjoyed those videos Hayden. Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
What Zee said!

Dont get me wrong Haydon if your heart is set on it.....then go do it

Rushforth and chase your dreams!

Dave
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:02:53 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Hasbrouck #7 Double Size.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 02:06:04 AM »
That could make canoeing so terribly pleasant! You could always paddle if you were so inclined.

Hugh.

Offline VANYA

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:18 AM »
Once I decide on the engine I will have a fair idea of the boat dimensions. I think going by the discussion it will go out to 13 feet if the beam is the be narrow in the ratios given.

I like the Reuel Parker design as I can handle epoxy and glue structures and the blog page listed gives me a pretty good idea of what is involved with a chine hull. With our coming winter I can maybe have a boat built by summer and do the engine in between tasks. Alternatively I can power the hull with electric drive in the interim, then I will know how the boat, prop shaft and steering goes. Having built model boats for years it is really not much different, just heavier materials and thicker plywood.

Hugh, If you can fish off of a kayak like they do then a steamboat must be a lot more comfortable without the need to paddle. Always did like taking my camp chair in the dingy!

Hayden

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:45 AM »
Nice idea and looks good. I have a 'glass canoe just hanging around. OOPs looks like the list got longer :facepalm: But then I can dream. As all the creeks are dry around here (except 20year floods) I would have to put wheels on it. :lolb:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline VANYA

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:56 AM »
You Aussies don't know if you need wheels or floats it seems. One State has got floods and the other is on fire!!

When I saw the Murray River I reckon I could jump across it!! A few gumtree twigs would keep the boiler roaring I would expect.

I will ask the French guy if I can put his photos up on the forum.As I said in previous posts , he did not get it all correct the first time either, and even now he has components he would change. It is just a matter of finding out what works and what does not. That is the fun of it.

You are ahead of me in the game already, I don't even have a canoe... you do!!

Hayden

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Hasbrouck #7 Double Size.
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »
You know what they say, it never rains, but it pours. We have 6 states and 2 territories.

Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
I watched the videos yesterday and again this morning Hayden. Not much room to move about as others have said but he and the kids sure seem to be enjoying it. It was steaming out of the harbor at a pretty good clip too. I can surely understand the allure of having one's own steam powered launch.

Bill

Offline VANYA

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
Bill.

Yes I know it is a narrow craft featured in the video so I think for safety of both occupants and of the steam drive system it is best to increase the beam. It means more work having to build a boat but it is important to do what is required in this respect. I would put safety before size. If it is not a safe boat then it is not a worthy project.

In escence the project is to build a low cost steamed powered boat.

Hayden

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:14 PM »
Hayden,

My boat was originally sketched at 4'6" or 138 cm    Increasing the beam to 152 cm DOUBLED the righting moment of the boat...and I can jump up an down on the gunnel amidships, and she's completely safe.    I'm a big boy!   

You won't need to widen it much to make a big difference....

In the book "From my old boatshop"...is a great section on making test tank models.   They are quick to make, and they will tell you with 100% accuracy if you have a problem or not.....Most Marine Architects will do just that before the let a design go to the yard.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal