Author Topic: Kim's Shop  (Read 29127 times)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: Kim's Shop
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »
I guess I can discard my alternate suggestion which involved wrapping the lathe in a fire blanket and then setting fire to the pallet to remove it.  Impractical but spectacular!

Are you sure you're not from Tennessee Marv?
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:48 PM »
I guess I can discard my alternate suggestion which involved wrapping the lathe in a fire blanket and then setting fire to the pallet to remove it.  Impractical but spectacular!

Are you sure you're not from Tennessee Marv?

No, worse than that - Pennsylvania - where crudity was invented - just ask Zee.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »
Well done Kim. That's got to be a load off your mind :)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2013, 03:44:29 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Marv, I laughed out loud when I read your final suggestion there!  Then my wife asked what was so funny, so I read it to her.  My youngest daughter overheard and asked "Did he really do that!?!"  I assured her you hadn't.  Am I right?  :ROFL:

Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2013, 03:57:06 AM »
Well done Kim, and that's a nice looking lathe you have.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
Nicely done Kim  :ThumbsUp:.

Now is Father Xmas going to let you play with your new machine before the big day  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
That is awesome Kim!......I love lathes!..... 8)

Congrats bud!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
Marv, I laughed out loud when I read your final suggestion there!  Then my wife asked what was so funny, so I read it to her.  My youngest daughter overheard and asked "Did he really do that!?!"  I assured her you hadn't.  Am I right?  :ROFL:

No, I've never done that.  However, the approach employing the proton beam accelerator left over from my work on the thermonuclear hand grenade...well, let's just say there are better ways.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

No, I've never done that.  However, the approach employing the proton beam accelerator left over from my work on the thermonuclear hand grenade...well, let's just say there are better ways.

Hell I'd pay to see that one Marv!.....though I bet you can only do it once.....
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
Its been a busy week at work, so not much play time till today.

Early in the week I did manage to get it leveled up and the oil added, then went through the power on testing sequence, which went quite well! Everything worked as expected!  :cartwheel:

But there it sat for most of the week.  My poor, neglected, Christmas lathe. :(

Today though, I got some shop time and spent several hours breaking in the lathe as instructed in the Grizzly manual.  Then I dutifully changed the oil as it told me to.   In spite of my skepticism about changing the oil so soon, the stuff that came out was really black and dirty!  Guess they knew what they were talking about, eh?

Boy, that was a messy process!  Hope I don't have to do THAT very often!

But now its done and I've got things mostly cleaned up.  Next step will be to get the DRO installed!  :LickLips:

Thanks,
Kim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:37:55 AM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
Sounds like you are having fun Kim, when time permits at least. I think you are wise to follow the break in instructions, oil change, etc. A PITA I am sure, but the long term dividends will make up for it. Now if I could just figure out why JET, Grizzly and others paint these things that off white color...it sure shows up every little smudge. Even so its a nice looking machine that should serve you well for years!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »
Kim that lathe is just begging to be used. Have fun my friend and enjoy your new toy. It sure look good though I have to say. And like Bill said following the instructions will pay off later. Look good!  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
Not a lot of time to work out in the shop, what with the festivities of summer and all (sometimes, I could do with a little lest festivity!) but I found sometime over the last few evenings to make a holder for all my quick change tools for my lathe.  Something I've been meaning to do for some time.

I copied Stan (and several others I'm sure) and used a piece of that hole-filled angle piece for the base, and a length of 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle aluminum for the holders.   Then mounted it to the back of the splash guard.

I know, for safety, you're not supposed to keep things behind the spindle on the lathe, but it was the best spot for them.  I never change tools while the lathe is running, so I think this is very low risk.  And frankly, I think the risk of keeping them on the headstock, which is where they aways ended up, was more dangerous since they could fall down while working.  This provides a positive, secure location for all my lathe tools (plus a few more that I don't have yet) and now I'll know where they all are!

Thanks,
Kim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:39:11 AM by Kim »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
Kim I like it and I see nothing wrong with mounting it behind the lathe. Like you said I never change a tool while the lathe is running either.  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »
Hi Kim

Looks good!

I completely understand about not having much project time. :wallbang:

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal