Author Topic: Kim's Shop  (Read 29027 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Kim's Shop
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
Or maybe she just wanted the shop and garage tidied :LittleDevil:. That gender works in mysterious ways :old:. Seriously Kim, great job on the remodel and waiting on me seeeegar.

Whiskey

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
Yes Bill, she is an  :LittleAngel:!  She has to be to put up with a joker like me  :Jester:.

Won't be long now Whisky! :)

Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »
Hi Kim, just catching up on your thread and the shop looks a treat buddy. And isn't to great to have a wife appreciate you enough to get you a new lathe. Your very lucky.

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 11:27:22 PM »
:cartwheel: OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!  :pinkelephant:
I was just sitting there minding my own business when out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my chair to see what was that matter!  I heard the jingling of silver bells and the prancing and pawing of a big FedEx truck, helping Santa do his work!
 :pinkelephant: OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! :cartwheel:

I meant to have pictures of the 'transport' from the truck to the garage, but my wife had just left to pick up one of the kids, and there was nobody to run a camera.  So you'll have to settle for 'after the fact' pictures. :)

Getting it off the truck was the biggest challenge - at the local FedEx warehouse they'd set it on a pallet, which was smart, but the pallet was broken, which made it hard to get the pallet jack under.  For a while, I thought he was going to have to take it back to the warehouse and let them use the forklift to get a better pallet under it.  But we struggled with that for a bit and got it on the pallet jack just fine.  I was worried about its ride down on the lift gate, but that went OK.  And then as quick as you please, it was in my shop.  The driver helped me pry the crate open and take a look.  All seemed well, so I signed off :)

Here was my first sight:

That FedEx driver was great!  He brought it all the way into the shop for me, no problems.  Even navigated my mildly sloping driveway without a hitch.  Yes, I helped out a bit, but he knew what he was doing.  And it went ever so smoothly!

It's just sitting inside the garage door.  I'm going to have to get my shop crane hooked up to it to get it off the pallet and turned around.  But it's inside and I can do that over time.  The leveling feet aren't scheduled to arrive till next Tuesday anyway :(

Here's a better shot after I pulled up the plastic.  Isn't she cute?! :)

And here's her name plate.  You can see all the cool extra stuff I get to unpack too!

Christmas at Thanksgiving!  What could be better!

You know what I'll be doing for my days off here! :)
Kim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:29:19 AM by Kim »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »
Congrats Kim! Your neighbors are going to be jealous,

Take your time getting off the skid and into position; we want you and it to remain in one piece.

Looks like you are going to have a very nice holiday weekend.

Dave

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
Don't know about his neighbors but I sure am!
Looks great  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 01:09:59 AM »
Wow! Your ready for business now Kim. 14" swing over bed your ready for the big stuff. Full of tool envy here.

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »
That's great news Kim!!  I am happy for you and glad it all arrived safely!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 04:06:35 AM »
Thanks Dave, Pete, Don and Bill!
I'm handing out the cigars to everybody who comes on by to see my new arrival!  : :smokin2:
Whisky, I've got one for you here too!

I've got the crate walls off and need to clean it up now.  Then I'll unbolt it from the skids and lift it off.

Simple to say, but it'll take me a bit I'm sure.  I'll just go slow and think about each step before I do it.  That's the key to success here!  I've got all weekend! :cartwheel:

Thanks,
kim

PatJ

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 04:42:15 AM »
Holy guacamole, that is a nice lathe.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 05:35:07 AM »
Kim....are you going to float it on resilient mounts or shim & bolt it securely to the concrete? :shrug:........Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
Nice one Kim  8),

So what little extras did Santa think to send along with her?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
Hi Derek,
I've got a set of large floating Machine Mounts from Grizzly.  Other people on line have reported that they worked well for them.  Hopefully they will for me too.

Jo,
I believe Santa has some additional goodies on the way;  a DRO, a 5C collet chuck with a set of collets, a few extra Tool holders for quick change tool post, and a bunch of oil for the gear box and ways. :). Now, it came with 3 & 4 jaw chucks, a face plate, a steady rest, some dead and live centers, and several such sundries. 

I think santa's got me set up pretty well... :)

Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Jo,
I believe Santa has some additional goodies on the way;  a DRO, a 5C collet chuck with a set of collets, a few extra Tool holders for quick change tool post, and a bunch of oil for the gear box and ways. :). Now, it came with 3 & 4 jaw chucks, a face plate, a steady rest, some dead and live centers, and several such sundries. 

I think santa's got me set up pretty well... :)

Kim

:whoohoo: :whoohoo:

Sounds like you must have been on Santa's list of very good boys this year  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »
Thanks Jo, I'd like to think so :)

OK, I've now got a question for any of you who've done this before.  I've run into a problem.  I can't get the shop crane close enough to the lathe to do any good.  The pallet that it's resting on prevents me from getting the crane near it.  I've got to get that pallet out from under the lathe before I can use the crane. :wallbang:

I'm thinking I'm going to have to jack up each corner of the lathe using the lifting bars, find a way to prop them up, then remove the pallet from under the lathe.  Then I'll be able to get in there with the crane.

What have other people done here.   I ,can't be unique in this situation can I?

Thanks,
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal