Author Topic: Kim's Shop  (Read 28899 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Kim's Shop
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 03:49:15 AM »
Yeah, it tucks out of the way nicely!  Better even than I'd hoped.  This is important when space is at a premium.

So, Bill, I hate to try and second guess Santa, but I've got one of these on my wish list:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-X-40-Gunsmith-s-Gearhead-Lathe/G0709

I had a thread in Twenty Questions asking about lathe selection a while back (guess that board is called "Machines, Tools and Fixtures" now) and got really great input from everyone. :) And I'm still open for input... Santa hasn't committed yet! :)  Here's my latest thinking: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2244.0.html

Kim

nevadablue

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:05 AM »
Thanks for the tour. My small bandsaw is like yours. I love it. I use it exclusively as a vertical saw. A square of 1/4" plate clamped to the tiny table makes a nice sit down saw.
Also, I lifted my 12x36 Grizzly lathe onto the stand with a similar HF engine hoist. Worked fine. Good luck with Santa.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:43 AM »
Thanks Nevadablue, its nice to hear the HF shop crane worked for you!  Makes me somewhat optimistic :)

Since I'm going to get a nice shiny new lathe :)  I'm going to need a way  to power it.  So, I got a couple of bids, and now I've got a date with the electrician for next Friday to drop a 220v. single phase circuit into my shop.  I'm getting two receptacles put in, just in case I get a Mill someday.  Its nearly free to do now, so might as well!

And now that I've got that going, it's starting to seem real.  So, last week I decided I better get serious about clearing a spot for this beastie.

I've been playing with that shop planning tool that Grizzly has on their site. It's far from perfect, but its easy to use, and they've got a lot of equipment templates you can use (for their equipment, of course :)).

Just so you know what I'm starting from, here's a picture of how my garage's been for the last 13 years:

The Grizzly app doesn't let you label things, so I imported the picture into MS Powerpoint and added labels.  You can see that in my 3 car garage, there has been no room for cars for years.  A smidge more than one bay has been my shop, and the rest has been storage for bikes, freezers, garden stuff, and any manner of junk that was/is too precious to throw away.

Over the last several months, I've been dreaming up schemes to decrease the amount of junk we keep; finding ways to store it better, sell it, give it away, or toss it.  Using these techniques, I've been able to greatly reduce pile of stuff on the storage side of the garage.

My goal was to reduce the stuff side of the garage enough that I could pick up 4 more feet on the shop side.  Unfortunately, when I went to move the shelves earlier this week, things didn't line up right.  So eventually, I measured my garage and found that it was actually a foot shorter and a foot narrower than I'd been using in my planning.  :( The numbers I'd been using were based on an appraisal that we'd had at some point in time.  Guess they used external measurements instead of inside measurements for the garage.  Bummer :(.

So I had to refigure. And as much as I tried to take that foot from the 'stuff' side, I just couldn't make it work.  Because, in the end, for this venture to be successful, I can't make it too painful for the rest of the family to use the 'stuff' side of the garage.  Over reaching there would be counterproductive in the long run I'm afraid. So I lost the space on the shop side...  Such is life...  Getting 23% more space is still nothing to sneeze at!

Based on my NEW smaller garage, here's what I'm going for:

My 'New Shop' includes quite a few pieces of equipment that I don't own yet (and may never own).  But I figure if I'm doing a redesign, I'd like to make sure I can fit all the stuff I'd like to have in the hopefully not TOO distant future.  You can see I've got a spot for a knee mill, a floor-standing drill press, a 2nd buffer, and a couple of new tool chests to store all of the cool tooling I'm sure to acquire in my new dream shop! :)

This may be the 10 year plan.  But you've got to have aspirations, right? :)

Careful readers may note some of the equipment missing in the NEW version.  It's not really missing, it's just hidden. For example, the Air Compressor is going to be on the lower shelf of the bench with the buffing wheels.  And the surface plate will be on that bench too (or that's the current plan at least).  I also picture putting my new little Arbor Press there too.

To implement this, I've had to rip out my whole dust collection system that I put in about 13 years ago.  It was nice, but there was no way to leave it there and redesign the shop. For the moment, I'm not planning to rebuild it.  I found I really didn't need it much for anything but the sander and the table saw. I'll work on plans to get that setup over time, but for now, it's being decommissioned.

I'm also going to put in more lighting.  I've always meant to, but now's my opportuinty!

Here's a few pictures to show you the ugly state of affairs now. That way you can really appreciate how beautiful it will be when I get it done :)

Here's looking out over the shop from the front of the shelves that divide the garage (in front of the furnace/waterheater area):

And here's from the new location of the Table Saw, looking back toward the furnace:

And HERE's the spot where the new lathe will be going, marked out with the blue tape.

I'm hoping to have it significantly cleaned up for my Friday date with my electrician!  After that, its time to get the lathe in! :)

Thanks for looking,
Kim

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:25:45 AM by Kim »

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
I can see that 14-40 sitting there already Kim  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Looks like plenty of room Kim!....watch out for the dog and the metal chips.....gets in their fur and pads.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
Kim, I don't see your compressor in your new shop, I was going to suggest that you might put it in a bit of a box out side the workshop, against the wall, and run a pipe round the shop, with a few outlets in convenient places.    Ian S C

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
Nice choice on the lathe, am thinking Santa may have to add a couple more reindeer though to deliver that beasty!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
Hey this all looks great Kim!

You need a nice shed out in the yard to keep all the garden tools lawn mower etc. in. My wife and I both enjoy parking inside; but we probably get more snow and frost than you do.

I like how you have left room to walk all the way around the mill and lathe. I know space limitations usually dictate machine positions but I really dislike having machine tools shoved up against a wall or stuffed into a corner. Also having the bench right behind the lathe will be handy and when the time comes you may also want to do the same for the mill. It is nice to be able to just turn around and have a work surface. My mill and lathe sit 90 degrees to each other and my small bench services both machines and also holds most of the commonly used tooling for them.

Would it be possible to just wheel the dust collector over to the sander or saw when needed? It may also be handy to have if you ever decide to do and wood work on the lathe or mill (pattern Making) maybe; or metal polishing on the buffer which can be quite dusty.

Thanks for sharing the shop remodel with us.

Dave

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »
I can see that 14-40 sitting there already Kim  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
Thanks Pete!  It does start to make it seem real, that's for sure! :)

Looks like plenty of room Kim!....watch out for the dog and the metal chips.....gets in their fur and pads.....
Dave
Thanks for the warning Dave.  I'm hoping if I can find a nice spot for a dogie bed, my dog will be able to be out in the shop with me.  She hasn't been allowed out in the garage yet.  I'm kind-a hoping that house rule will change.  But not if its safe for the pup, then I'll probably drop that line of questioning.  :-\

Kim, I don't see your compressor in your new shop, I was going to suggest that you might put it in a bit of a box out side the workshop, against the wall, and run a pipe round the shop, with a few outlets in convenient places.    Ian S C
Hi Ian, thanks for the suggestion!  In the New layout, my compressor is under the bench in front of the lathe.  It fits on the lower shelf pretty well and doesn't take up additional floor space that way.  But it would be really nice to get it it's own space.  That thing's really loud when you run it.  I have to wear hearing protection!  It would be really nice to get it out of the shop!  Maybe a future upgrade?   :LittleDevil:

Nice choice on the lathe, am thinking Santa may have to add a couple more reindeer though to deliver that beasty!!

Bill
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll make a special early delivery for this one so that he doesn't have to fit it in with everything else.  And it'd be pretty tight getting it down the chimney!  :Jester:

You need a nice shed out in the yard to keep all the garden tools lawn mower etc. in. My wife and I both enjoy parking inside; but we probably get more snow and frost than you do.
Hi Dave, Thanks for the comments. Yes, you definitely get a lot more snow & frost than we do!  We may get snow once or twice a season, if that (last year I don't think we got any).  I do have to scrape a few days, but its the price I pay to have my shop in my garage.  Which is completely worth it to me!

I like how you have left room to walk all the way around the mill and lathe. I know space limitations usually dictate machine positions but I really dislike having machine tools shoved up against a wall or stuffed into a corner. Also having the bench right behind the lathe will be handy and when the time comes you may also want to do the same for the mill. It is nice to be able to just turn around and have a work surface. My mill and lathe sit 90 degrees to each other and my small bench services both machines and also holds most of the commonly used tooling for them.
This is a great point Dave!  I'll have to think about how I can get a bench in there behind the mill too.  It may end up having to be a mobile flat surface/cart kind of thing.  Maybe arrange it so one of the rolling tool chests is there with a bench surface, or something like that.

Would it be possible to just wheel the dust collector over to the sander or saw when needed? It may also be handy to have if you ever decide to do and wood work on the lathe or mill (pattern Making) maybe; or metal polishing on the buffer which can be quite dusty.
That's what I'm considering. I'll have to devise a way to make it fairly easy to hook up to the various pieces of equipment I want to use it for, but this is a likely scenario.

Thanks everyone for the support and the great suggestions!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »
Dave
Thanks for the warning Dave.  I'm hoping if I can find a nice spot for a dogie bed, my dog will be able to be out in the shop with me.  She hasn't been allowed out in the garage yet.  I'm kind-a hoping that house rule will change.  But not if its safe for the pup, then I'll probably drop that line of questioning.  :-\

Thanks everyone for the support and the great suggestions!
Kim

My spaniel Jack used to have a bed under my assembly bench. He knew he was allowed to lay in there and gaze lovingly at me whilst I was working but not wander around. He was also very good at keeping my feet warm in winter.. even if I did not appreciate as much having my legs/feet licked in the summer  :Jester:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »
Well, my remodel is pretty much done.  I installed all the new lights - and BOY! Does it make aBIG difference!  So nice! I can't believe I've waited so long to do this! :)

Another big step is that today, the electrician came by and put in my 240v circuit!  Now I'm dangerous and ready...

Once the electrician got his thing done, I spent the evening rearranging my existing tools and making a nice comfy spot for the new addition.

Here's a few shots of the newly configured, newly lighted, and newly wired space.

This first one is as you enter the "Shop Zone".  Here we're looking directly at my bench corner with the drill press and the Taig mill (its kind-of camouflaged by the tools on the pegboard, but its there!).

Then, standing right in front of the mill, looking down the bench toward the table saw.

Now we're in front of the table saw, looking back at the benches and the shop entry-way.

Then the last corner, standing right where the new Grizzly lathe will be going, looking back toward the benches.  The big open space between the support column and the rocket is being reserved for a knee mill, assuming I can save up enough for one of those someday.

And last, but not least, standing back where we started (the shop entry-way) I took a picture toward the far corner.  This shows the two new 240V outlets they put in for me (on the support column) and the spot for the new lathe.

Now I wait for the arrival of the newest member of my tool family :)  Listening for those early sleigh bells!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:27:55 AM by Kim »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
Looks great Kim,

Lots of nice useable space; when will the new addition be arriving?

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Nice looking shop Kim. I guess we can all use more room but its not alway seasy to come byso organizations as y0ou have done is the next best thing.  Now that your ready for the new addition...I am sure the minutes will seem like hours and the hours like days.  Hope it arrives soon and safely though!!

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
Thanks Dave and Bill!

I don't have a due date for my new arrival yet, but it's been ordered.  So sometime in the next few weeks I should have my new little bundle of joy :)  You all will be some of the first to know!  I'll be handing out the cigars!

My wife says it looks like I've got a chalk outline for a casket on the shop floor - either that, or an Iron Lung :)  She's being a good sport about it, but it baffles her.

The lathe is her gift to me for Christmas.  My gift to her is that I had an electrician do the wiring for the new circuit, and that I'm hiring some equipment movers to help me move the lathe into the garage down my sloping driveway! Works out pretty well, doesn't it?  :LittleDevil:  (Seriously, I am getting her something else for Christmas, but that's all she says she wants!)

Thanks,
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
Sounds like she's a  :LittleAngel:  Kim !! Or maybe she just doesn't trust your electrical skills  :zap:

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal