Author Topic: The McOnie Oscillating Engine  (Read 27453 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: The McOnie Oscillating Engine
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
Fantastic video off your really nice engine - another beauty from you Ramon  :praise2:

I can't decide if I feel a bit like crying that you let those two great planes go or glad that they will be flying again (hopeful that they won't be crashed) ....  :thinking:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2018, 11:34:14 PM »
Thanks for uploading the video Tug, it looks to be a great smooth runner and very quiet too  :)

I have the option of buying a set of castings for this engine from another forum member, I think is it's a bit beyond my capabilities but your engine does inspire me to give it a try.

Offline kvom

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »
I have considered trying to build one of these 1.5x from barstock.  Made a start at attempting to model it in SW using  some prints, but I suspect I'd need to buy the castings and measure them to do it properly.  Maybe Julius can model it for me.   :help:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
Great video Ramon. Just a stunning engine all the way around. The two airframes are beauties as well. As a kid I flew CL planes with friends ...still brings back some great memories.  I hope those will find a worthy home.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2018, 12:17:15 AM »
hi, Gas -mantle i bought a set of these castings as well and managed to make it and get it going!! I think the secret is to take your time over it and take each part separately. I was also concerned about how few and how small the bolts were holding the engine together but it did work out ok, when i finished it i thought about buying some more castings and making it into a double and even a triple !!! now that would be really spectacular ...anybody care to make up a drawing ??!!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:15:33 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »
Morning guys - had some domestic distraction since yesterday ::)

Simon, Bill, - The planes are going to a good home  :) My friend Gerben from Holland is coming over to collect them as said on Friday. Memories?, well I've held onto them for several years since last flying them for that very reason Simon but A, I need the space (for the yachts!) and B, it's time to do it now before there is little interest in them as, like many hobbies, there is a slow but noticeable dwindling interest to pursue the sport.

Kvom - When I built the Anthony Mount Waller engine I scaled it up to 1.333 larger. I just took his drawings from the E i M magazine and scaled each dimension that amount. I found no issues - either with the drawings nor with that principle. I think the Mc'onie would lend itself to that very well. That said - unlike the Waller drawings there are dimensional errors on those for the Mc'Onie so you would need to double check dimensions. You may recall I mentioned however that despite those errors the engine parameters are spot on and considering the potential for discrepancies on the valve gear build up the engine ran straight off without any tweaking of the valve system. I would see no need for castings - the side frames could easily be fabricated as could the cylinder and steam chest - every thing else could come from barstock. I agree wholeheartedly though if Julius could work his magic on this lovely old design that would be a true winner  :)

I like that idea of a twin Willy  :o but I'll leave that to you to pursue  ;D. I agree with your sentiment to Peter too though on taking each part at a slow pace ensuring accuracy. It's not a difficult engine to build Peter albeit a bit complex compared with the average single slide valve engine but apart from the valve rocker slide shouldn't provide anything really difficult. Even the Rocker proved easier than anticipated and I'd be happy to help you there should you need.

As Willy said before there's been quite a few of these characterful engines at Forncett and at other shows since it's release by Cotswold - one of the more popular AM designs I would think.

Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline jonesie

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
Ramon ,that is a fine looking engine and a great runner,thanks for showing. might need to put that on my build list.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »
Just seen your post - thanks Jonesie  :ThumbsUp:

Well guys, I'm pleased to say that I have, just this morning, finished this engine completely. It's now ready and waiting for it's debut at Forncett on Sunday :) The governor has been tweaked and works just as smooth as could be wished for though it has little actual effect on the engine  :-\. The pedestal bolts as previously said are now tightened (with no detrimental effect I might add Phil ;D) and the finishing touch was to make the drive wheel - the rim is in two parts (outer and inner with the spokes in the inner covered by the outer) The spokes are 1.6mm and the nuts are dummies Loctited in place with the spokes. Oilers on the eccentrics are not hollow - just a hole through to inject oil before running but those on the cylinder bearings have a reservoir with a cap. It's been ticking over on the bench all morning whilst getting every thing ready for Sunday

That's it - project completely finished so I hope you've enjoyed what little I've posted about it.

Modelling is now on hold as I have an inordinate amount to do in the garden in coming months due to building work taking place at the foot of my property. My (rather poor) boundary is to get a makeover and the once partitioned garden will now be opened up to it's original fence line.

Thanks for looking in and enjoy your winter shid time.

That's it from this ol shid fer quite some time

Regards - Ol Tug
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:37:18 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
Hello Ramon,

I will say it again, that is one beautiful engine, beautiful paint job and beautiful workmanship.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2018, 06:11:36 PM »
Wow that's a great piece of work Tug, gotta be proud of that one  :)

When I build mine I know where to come for help  ;)

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
Beautiful and Intricate. I especially like your description of how you made the "double" drive wheel: Just looking at the engine doesn't give it away easily.

Too bad I'm stuck in the middle of the U.S. and can't visit the show to see it in person.

Great Work. Thank You for Sharing,

ShopShoe

Offline Dunstaneloi

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Hello again Ramon. The crankshaft is finished, thanks to your guidance. I have decided to make the cylinder / side frame bearings next, but confess that I am completely baffled by Anthony Mounts instructions. The parts list specifies bronze, but his pictures show him using steel, and nowhere does he mention the fashioning of the lugs that carry the crosshead guide bars. A few pointers would be most helpful. Your finished engine looks wonderful and runs so smoothly !

Michael.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
If you look back at photos 38 & 39 you will see Anthony made his pivots from bronze so that is why the photos show his bearings from steel. If you have made the cylinder pivots from stainless as per the text then use bronze for the bearings so you don't have similar metals running together.

Part 16 of the series has text about the lugs and the drawing for them

Offline Dunstaneloi

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Many thanks, that explaines the steel bearings. I'll look ahead to the next part for the lugs.

Michael.

Online sco

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
Mike,

See this page http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3870.180.html and the following page for how I attempted this part of the frames.

I can sympathise as this part is badly drawn and described in my opinion - I suspect most builders grasp the underlying intention and then make something up that looks right.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal