Author Topic: Hello from the "sunny" North West of England  (Read 8419 times)

AdeV

Hello from the "sunny" North West of England
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Well howdy folks, AdeV here checking in from MadModder. I live in Wallasey, which is on the other side of the Mersey to Liverpool, in North West England (if you look at a map, you'd swear it was the Midlands; trust me, it's not). I'm a computer programmer/analyst by trade (current specialty: call centre wallboards). I also dabble a bit with Arduinos and a have a couple of Rasperry Pis waiting to revitalise an old car I'm sporadically working on. About 3 years back, I became the proud & happy owner of a Bridgeport J-head milling machine, followed by an old Herbert Edgwick lathe (which is over 80 years old, I believe). More recently, I acquired a Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2 CNC mill, and along the way various bandsaws, donkey saws, a Hardinge turret lathe, MIG & TIG welders, an old PCB drilling machine which needs refurbishing..... many toys, not so much time...

I've lurked at HMEM for about 2 or 3 years, pretty much since I got my milling machine. But I never posted there "yet", mainly because I never actually started to build an engine. I always intended to, but then I'd either start building something else, or I'd be buying a new machine & end up working on that.... so the engine - and that first HMEM post, never happened.

And then the organic animal-derived fertiliser hit the rotating air-moving device....

It took a while to work out what was happening. Some "WTF?" posts appeared on MadModder, but I could access the site, nothing had changed for me. And then, it did. Eww, what a mess. And it became clear that there was some discontent. Some people were never going to post there again.... so, I decided, that wouldn't do.

So I started this place. Yup, me. I am the mysterious "admin". I've never posted at HMEM, but I've watched many of your builds over there & been awestruck and gobsmacked in turn. Plus, I know John Bogstandard, and knowing he'd a) want a shiny new home to post in, and b) would be able to bring some members with; how could I lose?

Well.

Even I am absolutely astounded by the reception this place has received. I'm totally blown away by it. And partially for that reason; I have decided to share the ownership of this forum with some guys I know and trust. Other than John, I've never actually met any of them, but I know that their interests lie in a thriving and friendly community of like-minded individuals. This provides you - the members - with two safeguards: 1) It will become impossible for "the owner" to sell out on the forum - because there will always be approx. 5 owners. No one person holds the keys. So some commercial organisation is going to have to persuade 5 co-owners to part with the place? No chance. And also, 2) It protects you from the mundane stuff like an owner unexpectedly passing away, or simply going AWOL.

Over the course of years, I expect the admins to come & go (including me), but for the site to remain strong and healthy - and, above all, 100% commercial free, and 100% free of commercial  ownership. And most important of all, I want this site to be driven by YOU the membership, and what YOU want. For sure, we won't be able to please all of you all of the time; but I've seen how well you guys get on with each other over at the old place, so I'm confident that the chances of seeing toys orbiting the perambulator is suitably low ;D

I hope I will, fairly soon, be able to post in this place, as AdeV, building an engine. I will also be trying to keep abreast of your suggestions and bug reports as admin.

I apologise now for any downtime we might experience - if the forum does disappear for any reason, rest assured there will be plenty of trying to get it back on the air asap, just keep trying. But hopefully, it'll be fine - the server we're on has been running 24/7 since just after Christmas 2011 (there was a bit of an outage around then, but the hosting company assures me they have fixed that particular problem).

And now, I have about a zillion posts to catch up on. You guys are BRILLIANT, a hearty THANK YOU for making this place pretty much an instantaneous success!

Offline ksouers

• Near St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Hello from the "sunny" North West of England
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
HOLIEST OF CRAPS!

Thank you, Ade. Really.

Kevin

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
  It is an honor and a privilege to finally meet the man behind the curtain. Also let me say a heartfelt thank-you for providing us all a new 'safe harbor' in which we can drop anchor and continue sharing that which we all get tremendous joy from, sharing our love and common interests in model engine making. All parties that have had a hand in this successful site-launch have my gratitude. BRAVO! indeed.

Offline SandCam

• West Coast of Scotland UK
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Well now Ade, what can I say...  :o :o :o

You say never posted on HMEM as you had not begun building something... but here you go with a first real post on your own new site that surely Trumps all of the stuff the rest of us have done.

My heartfelt thanks to you and all the rest of the team that put this new home together.
Now we can all begin the task of getting the knowledge database re-filled and look forward to many years of active and enjoyable fun.

Best regards.

Sandy.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
 ;D Welcome Mysterious Admin!  ;D
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »
Hi Ade.
SOOOOOOOOOo it's you that have been lurking around ;D and now is our new Admin..
You say you have not build an engine yet. but you are a first class modder; I tell you.
Have been following your work over at MadModder ;D ;D
How is your racingcar???

Glad to bee here.
Kind Regards
Crankshafter

"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
 ;D Like Tel Said  ;D
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »
"And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase."

Jeremiah 23.3

My personal thanks to you Ade. It has been a huge surprise just how fast the remnant responded to the call.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
  • North Jersey
    • MadModder
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 02:45:18 AM »
Hiya Ade!

For those of you not familiar with Ade and his work... He made this on a manual mill:

FYI: it is a dry sump for a BMW v8 racing engine...

Fantastic work.

Ade, you have made a lot of people's day much better!

Eric
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:53:17 AM by brass_machine »

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »
".........Ade, you have made a lot people's day much better!"

Amen to that Eric

BC1
Jim

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »
Wow, what a surprise to find out who the Wizard of Oz REALLY is!  Gee, Ade.... I'm speechless, almost.
I really am surprised in the best way!  Thank you, Ade.
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:16:22 AM »
Wow!
The sump project was the one that got me hooked in to Madmodder. From there to HMEM and now here.
Well done Ade on many counts. :)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:46 AM »
THANK YOU

YOU DA MAN.
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »
Good call, Sir, good call......

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »
Thanks Ade

I just had a feeling in my water it may by you when John mentioned a good friend and a bit of network sniffing located the sites of the servers ect suggested UK

thanks again for stepping up to the plate

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal