Author Topic: Smoke Got Out  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Smoke Got Out
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Today, we had an unfortunate circumstance in the shop.
The motor on the 50 plus year old Clausing mill let out some blue and yellow smoke, along with a loud sput! Damn! I think this motor might have been original with the machine. Anyway, when I pulled it off and dropped it upside down on the floor, piles of black carbon fell out. About 50 years worth of brushes I guess. So, off to Grainger and $260.00 later we have a brand new made in Mexico Dayton motor.
The my electrician pal came over and wired it up just like before. The OEM unique pulley does not have the same keyway as the motor, so over to the little mill to make it fit. I made nice with the key, and now the motor pulley is getting aligned to the idler. I even put new rubber bushings on the bolts. after dinner my wife will help me get the motor in position and bolt it down. The, more chips! Good thing I know someone who can make it work.
Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Smoke Got Out
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:26 PM »
after dinner my wife will help me get the motor in position and bolt it down. The, more chips! Good thing I know someone who can make it work.

Your wife? Lucky guy.

Sorry to hear about the mishap...sounds like all is right with the world though.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
Hey Mosey,

I think one of the problems with these mills is the wear debris from the short V belt gets into the motor...and they don't like that.

My motor was the same way...and I think it really is belt rubber...and not brush dust.

Anyway...I got a motor for mine...and I'm in the process of rewiring my Clausing...as it needed a switch too.

THANKS DON!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
after dinner my wife will help me get the motor in position and bolt it down. The, more chips! Good thing I know someone who can make it work.

Your wife? Lucky guy.

Sorry to hear about the mishap...sounds like all is right with the world though.

T doesn't help you swap motors?  That's part of the definition of an HSM wife.

My wife helped me swap out the motor on my mill/drill.  [I had her insert the tie-down bolts while I held that heavy b*****d up in the air.]
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »
Mine is great at finding those little bits that pissadear on the shop floor. Pretty handy with a shop vac too. Don't do baguettes tho.

Yo Redneck
Eric

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
T doesn't help you swap motors?  That's part of the definition of an HSM wife.

There are very few things she won't help me with. And I wouldn't help anybody with them either.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
Mine helped carry my 9x20 lathe from the back of the truck to the bench when I got it.  There were only two doors and two steps up and I let her carry the tail stock end so it wasn't to much for her.  She doesn't do baguetts but her meatloaf is legendary!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
Dang Zee, that's almost as bad as "picture me in pink.". I may have nightmares now...lol. Mosey, sounds like you have things under control...all in the same day too :)

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
Dave,
You must be right about the belt dandruff!
We got the motor back on, all lined up, higher than I want to reach. Now with belts on, the motor ain't be a turnin right?!
That electrician buddy will be gettin a call!

You are right, she's a keeper...52 years now. No baguettes, but Charcoal burgers though.
Mosey

Offline Mosey

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »
When I last brought a lathe home (10" South Bend), I put it in the garage, broke it down to big pieces, and asked my 6'-4" buddy over for a beer (he ran a custom body shop, Porsche and GT40 restorations). I thought the 2 of us would each carry an end, down into the basement. He looked at it and said "where do you want it?" as he picked the whole thing up and carried it down. Didn't even breath hard. Good guy to know!
Mosey

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Just to put this to bed, the electrician came back, put his meter on the wiring, and discovered that he had a floating hot side, due to the use of the existing drum switch that expects 4 wires. The new motor is not reversible, so no need for the second hot lead to the switch.
It is now rewired and back in service.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal