Supporting > Boilers

engine fro grandson

(1/5) > >>

hammer:
I have just finished a small engine & boiler  for number 1 grandson. I have another but he is only 18 months, but wile I am in the mood I will build a second now. Photo 1, the first one complete with its box.Photo 2. Raw materials, I was given the 2" tube just the right length. Also given 2.5" cut some of this for the end cops. Photo 3, The former .75" ply a bolt , nut & 2 washers, held in the vice. 

stevehuckss396:
Very cool. I hope to make things for my grand children some day. Need grand children first.

AussieJimG:
That is beautiful and something he will value all his life. Things like that are passed down through the generations. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

hammer:
This is just a simple build compared to all the great engines  :NotWorthy: :praise2: :NotWorthy: on this site.  My interpretation of a Tubal Cain design, using what I have to hand.  :DrinkPint: No 3/8" tube in stock, so drilled & reamed 3/8 bar, to 8mm for cylinder, turned end cap from same. I already had the port block, the other half of a 3/4"+3/4" block drilled down the centre then cut in half, used on other engine. I did silver solder the block to the  :ThumbsDown: cylinder before drilling & tapping 6BA for the pivot pin, so had to be very careful not to enter the bore doing it after.
Brazed the end caps in the   :zap: boiler tube, used Rothenberger S2, no flux required higher melting point than silver solder & I was given a box full. :whoohoo: Bushes turned & taped, bottom of flue flared, then all silver soldered in. Then into the citric acid for an hour, then wash off then time for dinner. :stir:

hammer:
Only made the piston & con-rod today.  :shrug: I don't know what the piston is made off,  :shrug: some sort of brass very hard, had to sharpen lathe tool twice.  Almost copper coloured as can be seen against the con-rod. In the photo the swarf came of the piston like shavings from wood, but the brass the normal chips. The rod & big end turned in one piece from 1/4" brass hexagon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version