Author Topic: Merry Old...  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Merry Old...
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:56 PM »
We are thinking about going to England (from the States) for a Fall vacation. We are interested in the weather, good food, and things to do. Initially the thinking is London and Cambridge. I am hoping to include something to stir the machinist's soul, like steam engines, big  IC engines, and actually, engines.
Let the ideas flow!
Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Merry Old...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:59 AM »
We are interested in the weather, good food, and things to do. Initially the thinking is London and Cambridge. I am hoping to include something to stir the machinist's soul, like steam engines, big  IC engines, and actually, engines.

1) Weather: Don't worry about it. It is what it is.
2) Food: Pubs off the beaten track...and of course, curry!
3) I haven't been to Cambridge...I've been to London several times. Now it's time for my memory to fail me...

There's a wonderful science museum (near Hyde Park I think). Huge. Steam engines, a huge floor or two of model ships of all kinds. I don't remember anything else...as I was mesmerized by the engines, ships, and wife of the friend that took me. (He was with me too...drat it.)

Tower of London (is that right? the one with the Beefeaters.) Great tour.

If you're into war stuff...I think it's called Churchhills' museum (Bunker?).

Check out Westminster.

I'm sure there's more. People here will add (and correct me) no doubt.

You can also take a train to Slough/Windsor and see Windsor castle.

There's just lots and lots.

Try a google earth and look around.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
Must see:

Kew bridge Steam Museam http://www.kbsm.org/ , Crossness  http://www.crossness.org.uk/ , and Tower bridge http://www.towerbridge.org.uk/TBE/EN/Exhibition/Groups+and+Tours.htm.

Don't bother with the Science Museam unless you like really old engines (and kiddies how stuff works exhibits) but they do have a nice corliss and if you do be prepared to be dragged in to the V&A and the natural history museam (the architecture of the NHM is better than the exhibits  ;))

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »
... and call in to Jo's place - she gives free castings to visiting Americans! ;)
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Goldstar31

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:26 AM »

Perhaps, the Northern Line to Colindale. Royal Air Force Museum and once home of the Goldstars.- and aviation.

Pop into the old guardroom- home of the Dirty Dozen-- I made it up to 13! I once slept in the cells-don't ask.

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
if you like model marine steam engines, the science museum might be worth a visit
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1JXl4bWQW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1JXl4bWQW4</a>

hope you enjoy your trip

peter

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:47 AM »
As silly as it may sound there are loads of tourist buses driving around London that I recommend to you.
Someone with a microphone up front as they drive around, on the left we are passing ??? on the right ?? kind of thing.
I believe you are able to get off to look around something and get back on the next bus.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
If you want to get up close to some working steam engines you could do worse than visit one of the country shows, like this one that I always try to get to: http://www.barleylands.co.uk/essex-country-show or the Mecca of the steam enthusiast: http://www.gdsf.co.uk/ which I always manage to miss  :(

Timing might be a problem as they're usually one or two day events, but they are a great day out, weather permitting. The best stuff is usually well away from the main arena. They always have a lot of (mostly working) old tractors, small IC engines (and the occasional big one), craft demonstrations . . . and even a few models.

These two would make great model engine projects . . .

Offline Mosey

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
The question about the weather was hoping to get some idea of the best time of year, if there is one.  Or, is it always "variable?" (bumbershoots and mackinaws?)

The tour bus with microphone is the precise thing to avoid, here hoping to find the quirky ornate architecture of stone gates, facades, domes, etc. I'm going to draw, paint, and observe the urban scenery, and the folks in it. Are there neighborhoods to focus on/avoid? When I get to Cambridge I'll keep an eye out for Morse, he'll know.

Jo, I'll put up a list of castings for you.

I will surely visit some of the engine shops you mention, such as the Steam Museum.
Thanks for the info.

Mosey

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
The question about the weather was hoping to get some idea of the best time of year, if there is one.  Or, is it always "variable?" (bumbershoots and mackinaws?)

The tour bus with microphone is the precise thing to avoid, here hoping to find the quirky ornate architecture of stone gates, facades, domes, etc. I'm going to draw, paint, and observe the urban scenery, and the folks in it. Are there neighborhoods to focus on/avoid? When I get to Cambridge I'll keep an eye out for Morse, he'll know.

Jo, I'll put up a list of castings for you.

I will surely visit some of the engine shops you mention, such as the Steam Museum.
Thanks for the info.

Mosey

I have some bad news for you, Morse is dead and he lived in Oxford !

I think it may be worth a day on the bus but of course your trip, your choice.
The weather is not predictable really, sadly.

When you have some dates maybe there is a show you could get to visit.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
Believe what you will, I have good reports that he was seen recently, and in Cambridge!

Yes, a bus ride may be a good way to see what I want to see. Of course, it's meeting with the PM in the morning, and the Queen in the afternoon.

Septemberish.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:16:25 PM by Mosey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal