Author Topic: sherline lathe  (Read 24011 times)

Offline jerry kieffer

Re: sherline lathe
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »

[Yeah Jerry is pretty good at making small things, but he has his head in the sand on CNC. He just wont come in to the modern world ]

Hey Ron
     This is simply not true.         

I keep asking for demonstrated solutions, but I am still waiting.         I thought the modern world was 3D printers ?????

Also,  Sherline equipment like other small machines generally has a very fine but constant vibration at higher speeds.     This fine vibration will eventually damage high quality indicator repeatability if they are not removed during operation.    And of course will effect accuracy if used during operation.

Chuck
          Thank you for the very kind words, However for myself, it is necessary to build very small items so people cannot see the many mistakes.   

Jerry Kieffer

Offline Russel

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
[...]Also,  Sherline equipment like other small machines generally has a very fine but constant vibration at higher speeds.     This fine vibration will eventually damage high quality indicator repeatability if they are not removed during operation.    And of course will effect accuracy if used during operation.[...]

That makes perfect sense, it hadn't occurred to me. I'm glad to say that I've always use a DTI or dial indicator in a static fashion for centering. (Both the Sherline Lathe and Mill that I have, have digital readouts.)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
Russel, you know sherling makes an adapter that  lets their chucks screw right into the center hole of the
  RT.  Well worth the 15.00 or so cost.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:36:13 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline Russel

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 01:50:43 AM »
Russel, you know sherling makes an adapter the lets their chucks screw right into the center hole of the
  RT.  Well worth the 15.00 or so cost.

Bill

In that photo I was reducing the bold head from requiring a 1/2" wrench to 7/16" so that the through bolt for the drill chuck and the one for the mill collets can use the same wrench. Although it really didn't need to be very precise, I love making stuff accurately. When I used the three or four jaw self centering chuck on the rotary table with the adapter there was, in my opinion, too much run out. At the time I was learning to use the DTI and kind of obsessed with it. A very handy tool. Anyway, I've got the adapter, but you know what they say: If you love what you do, it's not work.

If I were to do it again today, I think I would use an index block like in the last photograph. Due to the bolts length and diameter I would use a small self centering chuck, rather than a collet.

(I hope you guys don't mind me posting so many photos)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
I too have a Sherline lathe and mill, I luv to see what others are getting up to. So post as many photo's as you like, I'll always look and appreciate them. :NotWorthy:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
A good friend of mine has made  a nice collection of machines on his  sherline tools.  His models are typically half size of what I make.
Tin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »
Most of theae parts except the crankcase and base werw made on my sherline equipment.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwdmxqZnvSw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwdmxqZnvSw</a>

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
I'm enjoying the Sherline thread; I recently purchased a barely used 4400 long bed lathe with a nice assortment of tooling. I have visions of being able to sit at the bench and work on real tiny parts; not Jerry Kieffer tiny but small never the less :).

It had been broken down for shipping so I took it the rest of the way apart and cleaned everything real well; I also removed some light surface rust from the bed and 3 jaw chuck. My first project will be to make a nice base to mount it to. I'm thinking about a nice piece of Mic-6 cast plate with some rubber feet; I have access to the material so the cost won't be to bad.

Keep the pictures coming!

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 01:52:59 AM »
Here are some more sherline projects...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 01:39:46 AM »
Very nice Bill  :ThumbsUp:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »
Bill, I just watch the video of your Briggs engine and that was a superb video. Did you ever think of selling the plans and construction write up, or are you just wanting it to be the one and only? I am sure you would get a lot of request for them. It such a nice model to just be one of a kind.  :praise2: :praise2:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
Don....PM sent.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal