Author Topic: sherline lathe  (Read 24021 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: sherline lathe
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
marv you got me thinking and that is some thing i don't do often

My work here is done.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
sherline lathe
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Chamfering tools are useful in a rear toolpost. When I saw that you had made one, I thought, 'he's probably going to alternate between parting and chamfering tools in the rear post, whilst keeping the front post for other cunning tooling confections'.

Good thinking, Hugh.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
Nice work Chuck  :ThumbsUp:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »
I like that faceplate, almost the same as one I made for the Myford (much handier, at times, than the 9" Myford one)
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
All nice additions Chuck. Just keep in mind that a couple of Sherline accessories such as the motor feed and the thread cutting attachment use that hole in the base for control levers. Of course if you ever needed it for that you could always remove the pin you made.

Bill

Offline rebush

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »
Chuck: Great idea for mounting the dial indicator. I see a new attachment for my 4000 coming up. Thanks. Roger
Hopelessly lost but making darn good time.

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
Hi to all Sherline users, just had a look at this site...Sherlinecollet.com...describes an uprated headstock capable of using ERcollets...would be most interested in your thoughts on this one.
                                                                                                         John.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
That looks like a nice system John, not cheap but the price seems reasonable if the accuracy is there.  The disadvantage is of course having to change out the headstock and motor, but if a fellow had a second sherline dedicated to this head arrangement I can see its usefulness.

Bill

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
Hi Bill, just waiting for a reply to my email regarding dimensions of shaft, they talk of making a new drive pulley...interesting...if i was to go for this i would get the factory built assembly, a reasonable amount £226.00
for what is there, as I already have a full set of ER25 collets might be very useful...just wondering about motor capability with heavier shaft...change out headstocks is no problem.
                                         All the best for now,
                                                                John.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
Changing the headstock out wouldn't be bad, but changing it back and forth in order to use both on the same lathe frame might get to be a PITA, hence why I would prefer a separate lethe with this dedicated set up. I think the motor would handle it, especially from diameters of 3/4" and under.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
I really like the dial indicator mount Chuck!  ...You should sell that idea to Sherline....

The faceplate too!   Mine looks like that but is 10" in diameter!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Russel

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 12:11:27 AM »
Hi to all Sherline users, just had a look at this site...Sherlinecollet.com...describes an uprated headstock capable of using ERcollets...would be most interested in your thoughts on this one.
                                                                                                         John.

Very cool, but I like to take advantage of the small size of Sherline lathes. I use itty bitty collets. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't like to have both!

Offline jerry kieffer

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:34 AM »
Personally, Having used Sherline Machines for many years, I can see no advantage to this system on a small Lathe, unless possibly setup for a specific task in a production setting.
   When using Lathes of this size, one of the first things you learn is that extended work piece mounting can cause many issues much more so than in larger machines.     In this case, it would appear that mounting with the collet and nut in place would be similar to other small lathe ER conversions where the extended mounting multiplies  any inaccuracies from mounting and decreases work piece stability.      In addition, the large closing nut/ER collet design decreases lathe tool setup flexibility when working close to the collet as well as visibility of the machining process.
 A more practical option where a high degree of accuracy is required with larger stock, would be to order a set of machinable steel jaws for the Sherline three/four jaw chuck.    This will allow you to bore the jaws straight or with a pocket for a specific part where a high degree of stability and accuracy is a must.     
  By boring the jaws, you of course will have bearing accuracy unlike collet mounting that will depend on spindle/collet accuracy plus bearings unless they accidentally off set.       Changing work pieces in a chuck is also much more efficient than collet systems with a closing nut.

The ER collet system works very well for what it was designed for, however when used on a small lathe, it must be used for its limitations to be understood.

Especially if it limits your work holding options on a general purpose Lathe.

Jerry Kieffer   

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
for those of you folks that don't know who jerry kieffer is let me tell you we are in the presents of the ultimate sherline machinist.  8)

Yeah Jerry is pretty good at making small things, but he has his head in the sand on CNC. He just wont come in to the modern world  :Jester:

Every time I see Jerry at a show like NAMES he says "hold out your hand" and he drops some tiny thing I cant even see into it, then whips out a magnifying glass.

To see more of his work try http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Kieffer.htm

The indicator mount is nice, but if you mount the lathe on a metal surface you can use a mag base indicator holder to put a dial anywhere around the lathe. That way you could put it on either the cross slide or the carriage. Go to the dump and grab something like the door off a dish washer, strip off its front sheet and you have a nice painted- probably powder coated- surface that will clean well and hold the mag base.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:53:01 PM by RonGinger »

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
Hi folks,
           thank you all for replying to my post re. sherlinecollet.com...it has achieved its purpose to settle some
doubts i had about the equiptment.
        all the best for now,
                              John.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal