Author Topic: sherline lathe  (Read 24022 times)

chuck foster

sherline lathe
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:54:21 AM »
well today the lathe gods smiled on me and i was able to pick up a very nice used sherline lathe model 4000.

the chap i got it from is a model boat builder and he thought it would be a good lathe to produce some of his model boat fittings.
i guess he tried and found it easier to buy the fittings he needed.
so thats why i got the lathe, i will use it to produce all the small parts i need for my model engines (nuts bolts ect )
i have read most of sherlines website and got allot of info from that. i have seen what some of you guys have done so now i know that the lathe will be perfect for what i require. now if i was just as good and capable as the lathe, model building would be a breeze  ;D

does anyone have a good website about this lathe to vist other than sherlines?
also is there any problems that are prone to this lathe?

thanks for looking

chuck

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:32:41 PM by chuck foster »

Offline rebush

Re: sherline lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
Chuck: I have the same lathe. Bought from a friend. Have found it indispenable for making the small parts you mentioned and connecting rods for model engine. So far I haven't found any problems. I'm amazed at the accuracy of the lathe. Just ordered a four jaw chuck and a rear mount cut-off tool holder. There is a Sherline group on Yahoo. I applied for membership in Dec. And am still awaiting approval from the moderator. I'm sure there's member alot more familiar with Sherline's but if I can help with any info don't hesitate to let me know. Roger
Hopelessly lost but making darn good time.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »
Chuck, i've been using mine for 12+ years and have only had to replace the toggle switch. As with any tool, proper cleaning and adjustment will keep it accurate and in good running order. The Sherline folks and the website are an excellent resource. There is a LOT of info there if you dig a little.
Bill

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »
Sherline makes a great machine, and there are a lot of accessories you can buy for it.

The Sherline group on Yahoo is  a great resource, but there is a problem now. The group has only a single moderator, and he has had some kind of problem and has been unable to approve new memberships for several months now. A couple guys have been working to fix that, but so far no luck.

Another great source is a you tube channel by a fellow named Tryally. He has posted a huge number of very fine videos shows all kinds of Sherline setups and uses. see http://www.youtube.com/user/tryally

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »
Nice find Chuck looks like its in good shape also. Now your going to get tool aquisition syndrome. I still have it and can't get rid of it.

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:19 AM »
Very nice Chuck. One day I'm going to get one of them. Would make an excellent house lathe

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »
Chuck,
Not every part was made on the Sherline's though I would say that 70% of the parts were. Notable exceptions were the oil pan/base, gas tank halves, and crankcase. In the instance of the crankcase it was a matter of size. The oil pan/base and gas tank halves could have been done on the Sherline but were more efficiently done on full size equipment...there was a good deal of hogging out involved and the base was also made from steel. Doable on Sherline but would have taken a lot longer to do so.

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »
Chuck :
you may want to look into a pair of the A2Z Quick change tool posts. IMHO one great tool for the sherline not made by sherline.
tin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:30 AM »
I'll second tin's recommendation. I have one for mine and use it exclusively nor!!

Bill

Offline Rayanth

• Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:22:52 AM »
i know LMS carries the A2Z QCTP's for the 7x10/12/14's, they may have the sherline's also.
---Please understand that I am a complete novice, and may take a very wrong path to doing things. Take my opinions and procedures with a grain of salt.
--- All photos taken with a Canon Rebel t1i and resized using "OptimumJPEG".
---Please alert me to any photos or links that do not load.

Offline Andy_b

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
Chuck

I have two of the Sherline lathes equipped with quick change tool posts. A2Z sells them. This is the web address:   http://www.a2zcnc.com

Andy

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »
Yes, i would recommend it. Not cheap but welk made and worth the price IMHO.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
I'm curious.  Why would you want a quick change REAR toolpost?  What other lathe tools do you intend to use on the rear toolpost?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
I've seen a few posts here and there on the internet that talk about chamfering and profiling using a rear tool post. I wouldn't mind seeing some videos or posting of that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Goldstar31

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Carl, it's an old thing about 4 station tool posts needing a rear parting tool on one side of the rear turret and a vee tool mounted on the other side. The tools are inverted and the lathe run forwards. Merely an attempt to save tool changes.  I also have a three station turret- which saves getting a lot of cuts from the four way turret rear facing tool. :cussing:

You'll learn about these things soon - have no fear  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

As the old Spanish Proverb says- Patience, fleas the night is long! :happyreader:

Norm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal