Author Topic: Lathe Tool Holder  (Read 4130 times)

Bogstandard

Lathe Tool Holder
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
This isn't a copy it exactly item, but a suggestion on how to make your machines a little tidier, safer and easier to work on.

If you can stow your regularly used tools into a safe area for yourself, you soon find that using the right tool and putting it back from whence it came becomes second nature.

Just doing a little machine mod like this can save hours of machining time over the years.

#############################################################################

These are the main PITA bits, always stuck on top of the lathe, ready to drop down onto the chuck to get themselves launched into space. The chuck mounting key, the chuck key and the allen key used to tighten up the cross slide. There are a couple more bits, but I will show about them later.

I grabbed a piece of 1/2" thick PVC plate (it could be almost anything, even a bit of thick ply, as long as it is strong enough).
Ignoring doctors orders, I got onto my mill and did a bit of work on it. The half round recesses are not totally necessary, you could just use normal slots instead, but don't go too deep, just enough to stop things jumping out of the slot. I rounded over every corner, just in case. If and when I bend down, and if my noggin catches it, or if I bang into it, I won't do too much damage (to myself, not the tidy).
This took me about 3/4 of an hour to get to this stage, it doesn't need to be precise, just good enough to retain the bits.

This is where I fitted it onto my machine, you would have to find your own ideal place, maybe mod it so it sits on the wall, but within very easy reach, so that it is just as easy to drop things into the tidy rather than sitting on or around the machine. I used this sort of thing on industrial machines, and after a few sessions, it becomes automatic to use it.
It only sticks out by about 3", so really it doesn't get in the way.

And this is how it works, a place for everything, and everything in it's place.
I have yet to make a swish swarf rake to match the other ali handled bits, but when I do, it will drop into the hole allocated for it.
You might say that the door on the stand won't open fully now. All that are in there are my steadies, so if I do need one, it will only take a few seconds to clear everything out of the tidy.

Simple, easy to make, and makes the shop just that little bit safer.

What more could you ask for?

John

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
Re: Lathe Tool Holder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
Looks good John, I need to make one.   What is this "swish swarf rake" of which you speak?

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Lathe Tool Holder
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
Hi John,

thanks for this and all the other re-posts as well. I too would like to see your swarf rake, although it may be very similar to the artists mop brush I use.

I am very intrigued by the air gun. I guess it only operates at a low pressure. Does it result in stuff everywhere? I've often thought it would be a good idea, but as I have my  lathe space in a small corner of my partners painting studio, I've been too scared to try it out.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
Bogs,

Swish, swarf, Slick!!

Thanks

Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:15:34 AM »
I'm interested in seeing a picture of the 'swish swarf rake'. So keep us posted!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »
Dog gone John, my list just keeps getting bigger, thanks.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
All my chuck keys have balls on   :ROFL: Seriously, I took Tubal Cain's advice and added them to all my chuck keys, it made them so much nicer to use.

I think I have five   :insane: slightly different sized chuck keys  for the Prazimat alone, if they were put together on a rack they would need colour coding ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
For those seriously wanting to know what my swish swarf rake looks like, well here it is

And how it stows away

Nothing spectacular, just a bit of bent stainless rod mounted into a turned handle, but it keeps your hands and fingers well away from all those nasty razor sharp lengths of swarf.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal