Author Topic: Hodgson 9 cycl radial  (Read 106986 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Hodgson 9 cycl radial
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2015, 04:11:59 AM »
Steve-

Beautiful setups.  Very inspiring.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
Thanks Bob and Don

Don, the list of fiddly stuff is getting longer and longer, just as you'd imagine  :o

I've also made the pistons a little while back, some pics of course (captions below pics)

a few of the all but finished pistons

Using a jig to drill holes for the oil to fall back through for the oil control ring

Slitting my compression piston rings (a bunch at a time), the bit of scrap aluminium plate stops the slitting saw busting the rings when it breaks through. I used the method where you turn them after slitting so there is no heat treatment

All the compression rings finished, over 18 of them. You can see a broken ring in the background that lost its fight with the fat slitting saw.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #302 on: March 04, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
Nice Steve. You must have most of the parts ready.
I cant post more pics of my build right now. Tapatalk stops every time I try😕

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »
Ove, as you can imagine there's still a lot of small bits to go. I want to make the stand, should have made that some time back.

I was wondering why you hadn't been posting in your thread. Hopefully things are back to normal soon

Steve

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »
Coming along nicely  :praise2:  :praise2:

I guess that jigs are important when you have nine of everything to make  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
Steve if you lost one ring out of 18 you done good buddy.  :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Don

Offline 1dbweldor

« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
What did you use and how did you go about pressing the tappet bushings in there holes?

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2015, 03:47:03 AM »
Bit fuzzy on memory, but I expect this is what I did to press the tappet bushings in (definitely very close)

First I turned a short parallel lead in at the font of the bushings when I made them, so I could guarantee they would start straight (I always do that for interference fits), then I turned a bit of soft aluminium with a nose to fit inside the bushing and a shoulder to butt against the bushing face, then oiled em and knocked them in with a hammer, with the crank housing sitting on some soft wood.

Sorry for not posting for so long. I bought another lathe and have been doing a lot on that, which is a major project in itself. Will get back to this project soon

Steve

Offline 1dbweldor

« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »
Thanks for the info.
 So you drilled the hole in the bushings before pressing them in?
 I ruined one case trying to press them in with an arbor press. No big deal, just made another case.
 I made a press that catches the inside of the case and presses the bushing in from the other side. No load on the case other than interference fit. I didn't drill the hole first figuring I would drill and ream in position for a positive fit, and then lap for precise fit of the lifters.
 I was wondering what others have done to press these things in. They are quite small for my big old fingers to manipulate as needed. I finally got three cases done now only three more to go.
What size lathe did you pick up and what brand. I always liked new toys in the shop.
thanks again for your info.

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
Hello my friends!
I turned my pretty loose and pressed them in when I stiĺl had the case in the RT after drilling the holes for them and did the last broaching in them day after when the loctite had cured.
So I drilled the holes in the case and the bushings and broaching in the same setup.
Ove

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
Hi,
On the two radials I built, I completely machined the tappet bushing outside the crankcase. I then drilled/ reamed the crankcase for a close slip fit with the bushing, added some Loctite, and then inserted the bushing by hand. - Terry

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »
Sorry for the slow reply 1dbweldor

Yep drilled and reamed the bushing, pressed them in, then put a hand reamer through them.

I got a Hercus 260 which is 10" swing, similar to the second picture here, http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/
I got the bed reground, re-powered it with a variable speed drive, it's getting there. Still plan on getting a bigger lathe down the track, but regardless I plan on keeping this one till the end.

Hi Ove and Terry, nice to hear from you guys.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal