Author Topic: Permanent Mill Vice Backstop  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: Permanent Mill Vice Backstop
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
Is there a concern that the weight of a heavy vice or RT hanging off the end of the mill table all of the time may be harmful to your mill?
Mosey

Bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
PJW,

Very nice indeed.
I don't put posts up for people to follow religiously, but maybe to glean a little information as to why and how to, then do as you have done, made to suit your own surroundings.

Mosey,

I have no qualms about leaving my vice and RT mounted permanently, in fact, I sometimes hang my tilting vice on the other side as well.

The reason for it is, that I am sure that during my lifetime, I will never give my machines anywhere near like the work a production machine will have, and if they can do as I have done (and they do), then I am sure that my machines won't suffer any harm.

Also, by doing as I do, I have no need to call in my friend to help me get my tooling onto the table for me, as I have had to do in the past, plus because they very rarely come off, they require very little tweaking (in fact none at all), so set up times are greatly reduced.

John

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
Thanks Bogs,

I think that means my vice & RT will now reside permanently together on the mill table.

Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal