Author Topic: Vince's version of the MEM Corliss  (Read 272582 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Vince's version of the MEM Corliss
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Thanks Arnold for the interest.

A V type tool is one of the options to turn the recess.  Another option I tried today is a 6mm HSS round section tool I have which also gave promising results.  For sure I suspect there will be a fair amount of tool changes whilst making the recess.

How are you planning on holding the workpiece to the faceplate to recess the other side ?

The plan is not to use the faceplate for the other side.  I will be holding the thin section of the hub with a 19mm collet and a live or dead centre on the other side.

Vince

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »

The plan is not to use the faceplate for the other side.  I will be holding the thin section of the hub with a 19mm collet and a live or dead centre on the other side.

Vince

Hi Vince,

May I suggest you give some thought to reversing the jaws in your chuck and using them on the inside of the recess of the 1st side to machine the 2nd side recess. Your collet method means you are a long way from any support as you approach the rim and fpm speeds get higher as you move away from the centre.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
Bob you are right.

There will be no support from the back when working close to the rim.  I did not think of using the chuck in that manner because I discounted the use of the chucks that I have as they are relatively small.  Also I was more preoccupied with keeping both sides concentric hence using the collet.

I will have to rethink my strategy and investigate if it's possible to use one of my chucks.  I can't exactly remember what size of chucks that I have at the moment.  I think I have a 4" 3 jaw chuck and a 5" 4 jaw chuck for the lathe and a 5" 3 jaw chuck on the dividing head but no backplate for the lathe.

Thanks for the heads up.

Vince

p.s.  Is that the flywheel for the Corliss in your photo.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »
Vince,

Just another thought on a rigid set up for the second face. If you have a slice of material that you can bolt to your faceplate as a sub plate (or hold in the 3or4 jaw) that is just slightly larger than the recess diameter in the first side of your flywheel you can turn a register on the OD of the subplate to fit the recess diameter and hold it using a bolt and large washer through the bore (threaded into the sub plate). Remove as much metal as possible outside of the washer then as you move toward the centre you turn the washer away too until the hub diameter is reached.

If you dont have a spare slice then bolting four pads to the faceplate will give you the same but you'll need a drawbar through the spindle then.  I use 6mm capheads or button heads for all bolting / clamping like this counterboring for clearance if required

It's a good way of getting a rigid set up - hope that makes sense

Ramon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:25:16 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:07:31 PM »
Ramon

I am not 100% sure what you are trying to explain to me but you also gave me another idea to try.

I was re-reading your post whilst composing the message and all of a sudden it clicked and now I know exactly what you are trying to convey.  Time delay or age thing.

Thanks.  Another two options to try.

Vince

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »
Vince - From what you are saying it probably isn't neccessary but I've just reworded the above post slightly just to be sure  ;).

Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:15:33 AM »
p.s.  Is that the flywheel for the Corliss in your photo.

Na, it's only a baby 5.5" or 140mm from my miss and hit. (That way round because I've still got to get it to run). :ROFL:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
Well this morning, first thing I checked was if any of my chucks will be suitable for this application.  None of them will hold the flywheel in question.  So most probably I will have to use Ramon's subplate suggestion (if I find the material).  As it is, I still needed to do a subplate for my 6" rotary table to do the flywheel spokes.  So this same subplate would be used in both operations.

Just two questions.  Ideally the subplate should be round to fully support the flywheel, but if it is rectangular would that be OK?  Would an aluminium subplate do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Vince

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:13:14 AM »
Just two questions.  Ideally the subplate should be round to fully support the flywheel, but if it is rectangular would that be OK?  Would an aluminium subplate do the job?

The subplate can be any shape that you can mount on your faceplate, without anything catching ;). Aluminium, so long as it is thick enough for bolting to, would be ideal.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
I have searched all over but cannot find the source of this MEM Corliss. Can someone show me a pointer please.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
Hi Ron

Hope you found it.  Arnold called it that in his build which I think is a nice gesture and I just followed suit.

Vince

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
Thanks, I see why search didn't find it with that title.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
Not much to show but still a little progress.

The OD of the flywheel is finished 0.1mm oversize for clean up.  The excess material has also been faced off.  Left about 1mm to be faced off from the other side.

The face has been marked to be recessed.

Vince
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:08:20 PM by vcutajar »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
Nice setup Vince, a T slot face plate. I had made one for my small Micro mark lathe. Works great for some setups.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal