Author Topic: Milling Vice quandary  (Read 2979 times)

Arbalest

Milling Vice quandary
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »
Not a mod I've made but one I'm thinking of. I have a plain SOBA vice similar to the one here:

http://www.shobha-india.com/precision-machine-vises/precision-machine-vices-p8.html#1

It has a mounting lug at the fixed jaw end that limits the travel of my mill table ("Y") by about 20mm as it hangs over the table. It's only been an issue once or twice but I was thinking of just milling the lug away as I don't think I'll ever be mounting the vice along the table as it would be very awkward to use.
So, would you get rid of this lug to increase your "Y" travel a bit or leave it alone, just in case?  :???:

Bogstandard

Re: Milling Vice quandary
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Arbalest,

There would be no problems if you did remove it, as on the odd occasion if you needed to mount it the other way, you could just use table clamps instead of hold down bolts.

John

Offline kevin45

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
I would cut the mounting lug off if it hampered "Y" axis movement. I've ran Bridgeports for over 30 years and I don't think there has been one time that I had to mount the vise in the "X" axis. And as stated above, you could always clamp that end.

If there is enough room to cut a groove through that end, then if it is ever mounted in the other axis, you could use a short toe clamp instead of clamping on top of the stationary side.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »
I don't think I'll ever be mounting the vice along the table as it would be very awkward to use.

Interesting.  I've had mine mounted along the table for 30+ years and find it very convenient to use.  I did this originally so I could mount a "poor man's DRO" arrangement to the front of the table.  Also, mounting it the normal way would have had it sticking out into the very narrow passageway needed to reach the driver's side door on my car.  [Yes, we park the cars in the shop.]

It's all a matter of what one becomes accustomed to, I suppose.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Arbalest

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
One thing I had'nt considered is that if I ever did mount the vice the "wrong" way it would be a real PITA to close the jaws with the standard handle. I'd need to find a square socket (no luck, I've looked) and use a ratchet.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »
One thing I had'nt considered is that if I ever did mount the vice the "wrong" way it would be a real PITA to close the jaws with the standard handle. I'd need to find a square socket (no luck, I've looked) and use a ratchet.

I fitted my (Eron) vise with a knurled "speeder" ring so I can nip it up finger tight just by rolling my palm over the ring.  Then I tighten it with the (square recess) crank supplied with the  vise.

If you can't find a square socket, look for a 12-point.  They're widely available over here.  Many of the import Harbor Freight sets have them.

Oh, and it isn't the "wrong" way.  Just a different way.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal