Author Topic: Minor Shop Accident  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Minor Shop Accident
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
Today, I had a minor accident in the shop.
I chucked a carbide burr in the Dremel and revved up the rpm's to a high rate to open up some slots in  brass sheet. As you know, the Dremel burrs have hardened, highly-polished shafts, so they are not gripped by the chuck very securely. Well, when the burr bit the brass, it launched out of the chuck, ricocheting off of my thumb knuckle, and went into that far reach of the shop that will never be seen by mortals at a velocity not measurable. Fortunately, it only grazed my thumb on the way out, and made a little purple spot. Yes, I had my safety glasses on. Phew!
I guess setting it up on the mill and opening up with a 1/8" mill will be better.
For penance, I stoned the mill table , trammed the table, vacuumed the mill, and mounted and clocked the vise.

Now, back to work.
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Minor Shop Accident
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Were you using a collet or one of the hand-tightened adjustable 3-jaw chucks sold for the Dremel?  If the latter, you should now be aware that they're not meant for high-speed operation.  [You probably are, but it's worth noting for the novices who might read this.]

I love the little chucks, have them on two of my Dremels, but use them only for low-speed operations.

Anyway, I'm glad you weren't hurt.  Say twelve "Hail Murphys" and go and sin no more.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »
Marv,
Your concern for my well-being is reward aplenty for repentance.

Yes, I'll be more carefull and not use those cute little chucks for high speed.

As for sin, wassah?

Mosey

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »
Sin? I thought he said 'Sean O'Moore' - which might be the case if you keep flinging bits out of that chuck.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal