Author Topic: Ignition System Questions  (Read 12462 times)

Bogstandard

Re: Ignition System Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
On the coil, what you mentioned is the plug connection, and you should find that the nipple on the side is the same shape as the male part of a garment press stud, just buy the correct size from a haberdashery store, solder the wire onto the female bit and it will pop on/off as smooth as you like and hold perfectly.

The modelectric coil works perfectly with Jerry Howells TIM-6 system using from 4.8 (nicad) to 6volt (dry) cells.

Your way of mounting is the norm, just be careful, as I mentioned before, the dwell angle, to give the coil time to recharge.

Hope this helps.

John

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
Nice to have you validate my assumptions here. Sorry to be slow to get it all in my small noggin.

About batteries, can I use 2 cell lipo's with voltage of 7.4? Or must I stay with Nimh or Nicad? I want the compact size of the lipo's.

Mosey
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:04:58 PM by Mosey »

Offline ricktaylor

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
I went with the "old school" ignition system that I know works and I am familiar with: GM points and coil. 12 bucks for the integral points/condensor and 22 bucks for the coil. I have used both r/c 8.4v batteries and 12V emergency light batteries. The 7-cell r/c battery has won out because I left the switch on using the 12V lead/acid with the points closed and it died. :facepalm: The NiMh 8.4 volt 7-cell thrives under those conditions. As a matter of fact, I cycle them with a 12v automotive light bulb to drain completely before recharging. :)BTW, a single viton o-ring has proven to be the best piston "ring".
youtube link is of the engine using that ignition.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2gFEl0j7k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2gFEl0j7k</a>

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/popnrattle/HITNMISSIGNITIONSCHEMATIC-1.png

Offline Mosey

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
I should add that there really is no other way to mount these components, because there are the 3 wires from the sensor, so it must go on the stationary points plate and the wires will be lead out of the bell housing to a binding block on the outside of the engine., and the magnet, will go on the flywheel so it can spin with the engine.
As I noted before, the magnet will be mounted in a nonmagnetic little pot to the flywheel.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »
Here are my ignition bits, how do I mount them to the flywheel and the backing plate, and they have to move to set the dwell??
See the pics below for the magnet, the flywheel, and the sensor sitting on the backing plate.
 I would love to see pics of how you do it.
Thanks,

Mosey

I might as well ask...does anyone know of a socket for the Hall sensor?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:30:21 PM by Mosey »

Bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »
Mosey,

Before looking at anything else, if you can, read and inwardly digest what it says about dwell angle, near the bottom of the page. If you mount the magnet on the outside of your large flywheel, you might need a lot more than 1 magnet. But if you follow the instructions as described, this will then give you an idea where to mount your single magnet, then everything else is centred around that.

http://www.jerry-howell.com/IgnitionModules.html

John

Offline Mosey

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
Thanks Bogs, for the heads-up.
I have read what he says, and will diligently follow. I am on the hunt for a socket to mount the sensor to the plate, but can't find such a gadget. I guess I should make something.
Mosey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
Mosey send me you address and I will send you the socket with wires for the Hall Sensor.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
Thanks, Don, it's in the PM.
Mosey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Mosey it's in the mail.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »
new question about how to set and hold the timing of my engine. The contact plate has a 1/2" diameter hole in it that rides on the back of the main bearing where it exits the block.

There is no provision for holding it in place, except that the flywheel keeps it from falling off.

I have to rotate the plate to set the timing, and then how do I keep it from rotating by itself? This plate carries the Hall sensor and wires to the ignition.
I am thinking that I will make a screw fitting from the bell-housing that can be tightened against the plate once it is set, and hold it in place. Does this make any sense?
possible a screw with a large nylon tip o pinch the plate and hold it tight.
How do you do this in other engines?

Thanks for your input.
Mosey

Offline Mosey

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Here is my latest progress on the ignition system.
I have finished the ignition plate, and mounted the Hall Sensor to it, using a socket generously donated by one of our great members. You will see the sensor in it's socket as close to the crankshaft as I can get it to give me the most dwell I can achieve. I figure I will get about 22 degrees of dwell in this location. I hope that is enough. Of course the flywheel covers up this plate and carries the magnet.

Watching my progress is like watching paint dry, isn't it?.
Sorry, I just go as fast as I learn.
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal