Author Topic: Insert Flycutter  (Read 4334 times)

Arbalest

Insert Flycutter
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
One Sunday, some time ago I was laying in the bath and had a brilliant idea (as you do!)

I had been having some trouble the day before cutting some cast steel which had some hard inclusions.

I thought what about using round carbide inserts in a flycutter?! I dismissed the idea as I figured the interrupted cut would chip the inserts pretty quickly. Surfing the net half an hour later and someone had just posted the same idea on another forum! He'd actually clamped his lathe profile tool into his flycutter and given it a try and it worked fine. This is the type of thing he used:

http://glanze.com/indexable-tool-holders/mc-tc-srdcn.html

I happened to have some larger 12mm inserts in stock so quickly made a tool myself and have to say it works really well and after milling quite a few bits of steel and aluminium alloy I haven't dulled a tip yet. I think I still prefer a very sharp HSS tool to get a real shine on alloy but for most stuff I use the carbide now.

Here's mine.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
Re: Insert Flycutter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
Hi Arbalest,
                Could this (pic below) be the one you saw over on model-engineer, or mad modder. I posted on both those back in September 2012 under the heading Indexable fly cutter, Do'nt know how i missed posting on here, maybe this site was not up and running then ?

Cheers Dek. :old:

Arbalest

Re: Insert Flycutter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
It may well have been Dek. Not sure exactly how long this site has been running but it's under a year I believe.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal