Author Topic: Building my new workshop  (Read 41394 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My photo website
Re: Building my new workshop
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
Thanks guys, I can't wait to install the machines in it.

Tim
Measure with a Micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. MI0TME

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
Well it's been a while since I updated this, I have been busy with life and other stuff :bang:

I have got a bit more done, and very excitingly, I have got the mill and lathe installed in their places and even switched them on  :drool:

As you can see I even have got the PC going and the CNC working (sort of, still needs a few tweaks)

I hung the monitor on the wall, keeps it out of the way, and I also put up a shelf for the PC too

Just got to tidy up the cables a bit, and as you can see I've removed the doors off from the bench, this is in preparation for the flooring fitting next week. I also have to do a huge amount of tidying and clearing up as well.

Hopefully next week will see some vinyl flooring installed, that should make sweeping up a bit easier.

Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
Still coming alone nicely Tim. Nice to see the machines in place now too. Thanks for the update!!!

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
Tim, you've come from a place I thought we could kick up some man grub and make a few chips to a place we could launch satellites from. Good going chap :cheers:

Yo Redneck,
Eric

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
Wow! Tim you have come a long way and from the looks of it ready to make Swarf. Nice job on your shed.

Don

Arbalest

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
Nice job Tim, you must be pleased!

I may be needing a new shed in the near future so can I ask why you chose plasterboard rather than say plywood? I'll have several options available and I may take the easiest which would be a finished insulated cabin but in case I choose to do some work myself it would be handy to have some thoughts on the subject.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
Thanks guys  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Nice job Tim, you must be pleased!

I may be needing a new shed in the near future so can I ask why you chose plasterboard rather than say plywood? I'll have several options available and I may take the easiest which would be a finished insulated cabin but in case I choose to do some work myself it would be handy to have some thoughts on the subject.

Actually I didn't choose plasterboard, it was very kindly donated. If money was no object I would certainly go for 3/8" ply covering the top half of the walls, makes hanging and attaching anything so much easier, no more hunting for studs, but there would be little need for it on the bottom half, so put whatever's cheapest, ie Plasterboard. In my workshop, apart from about 4feet, none of the bottom half of the walls is visable. It's all hidden behind cabinets.

That being said, plasterboard is a lot smoother and a little easier to paint. I ended up with a couple of 6mm ply sheets given, so I screwed them up above the mill&lathe bench to make it easy to mount QC toolholders and other mill/lathe tooling.

I also would recommend getting the best type/thickness insulation you can afford. I haven't experienced any freezing temps yet in this workshop, recently we had a whole week (unheard of before  :headscratch: ) of glorious sunshine, 20-24 degree C outside temps, and even after several days of this the ambient tempreture in the workshop had not warmed up too much. I'm hoping that this is an omen that heating it in winter will not be too hard.

My walls have (from inside to outside) 8mm plasterboard, 3" of fibreglass insulation, 22mm OSB, and DPM (some parts then have an additional timber cladding, eventually all walls will have this). My roof is insulated with Kingspan solid insulation 50-75mm thick (I believe this has an equivalence of around 6-8" of regular fibreglass insulation) As they say, what you spend on insulation you will save soon enough on heating/cooling bills.

Tim

Arbalest

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »
Thanks for that Tim, nice to hear your thoughts. I've had a casual look at cabins, some of which are about 40mm thick timber. Some have two layers of timber with insulation between but not sure how thick it is. It depends on cost/how lazy I am at the time! The nice thing about plasterboard is as you say, a nice finish. Thanks again.

Vic.

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
I have used Celotex Sheets sandwiched between the outside wall of the wooden shed and a thin marine ply inner wall.
As with sound insulation, air gaps are a good thing.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
It's coming along beautiful Tim!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
I got a little more done, mainly tidying up. But I also trammed the mill, and put up another shelf for Lathe/mill acc's and hung some toolholders on the wall.

I also discovered that one of the Stepper Motor Drivers is faulty, fortunately it is the Rotab driver, so not used so much. Got another one coming.

Tim

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Got the Vinyl flooring down, looks a lot better and much easier to sweep.

As you can see I also have got another offcut to put in front of the Lathe and Mill, hopefully to catch most of the hot swarf before it damages the main flooring.  :thumbup:

I also installed a few handles on the doors of the Mill/Lathe bench.

Keep tuned for irregular updates,

Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
Its getting close now Tim. That flooring looks good too.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal