Author Topic: Building my new workshop  (Read 41398 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My photo website
Building my new workshop
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
So after moving house and being without a place to play workshop, a few weeks ago I made a start on my new workshop.

I have settled on a timber frame structure, 16ft x 10ft and the roof peaks about 9ft height. The plan was to make the front, back and 2 side panels, and the roof trusses, and then assemble them all at once, but having made the front and back walls, and realised the weight of them, I have changed the side walls to be in 2 parts.

The area where it will be is already concreted (rather roughly, so I will be putting in a shallow screed to level it up)

Construction is taking a while to get done as the weather gets in the way a bit at this time of the year, but starting about 3 weeks ago I have made the front and rear panels, and today I made the 1st of 4 side panels as pictured below. As you can see I am just stacking all the panels on the flat, they are sitting exactly where the new workshop will stand, the front of it will be flush with an existing garden shed.

Construction is a simple frame of 72x36mm studwork, 600mm centres, sheathed with 22mm OSB, then coated with a weatherproof sealant. The plan is to cover over the OSB with timber cladding later in the year.

Roof will be corrugated steel. Insulation will be some kingspan-type insulation for the roof, and most likely fiberglass-type in the walls.

For kitting out the workshop, my parents recently had a new kitchen installed, so guess who got the old one?? Yup, I'm even going to have a hob and dual oven and a sink!!! And it's all solid oak doors. I'm gonna have a real posh workshop (actually my wife is a bit jealous as there'll be a better oven and kitchen in my workshop than in the house :lol: )

So that's where I am at the moment, updates will come, but are quite dependant on the weather, so don't hold your breath.

Tim
Measure with a Micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. MI0TME

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
Re: Building my new workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
Kitchen cabinets, especially the lowers, are great in a shop.  I hope you got some with multiple drawers.  Congratulations on your new play place!

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
Phenomenal - please do keep posting updates - I am a nosey bugger very keen enthusiast and always interested in how people arrange their shops.

I love the sound of the kitchen cabinetry - that will be very nice. Should be a real nice sized workshop once complete.

:ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Arbalest

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your workshop go up. I have also seen corrugated bitumen roofing panels, are they not as good as steel?

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
Thanks Guys :ThumbsUp:

Kitchen cabinets, especially the lowers, are great in a shop.  I hope you got some with multiple drawers.

If I remember correctly there is one base cabinet full of drawers, a couple that have drawers at the top, and a really tall unit that houses the double oven that has one of those deep drawers for big pans. I also snagged the worktops too, and there is about 3 double upper cupboards, and a corner base cabinet that has a rotating shelf (plastic thing that may not take much weight)

Should be a real nice sized workshop once complete.

My last workshop was 6ft wide by 10ft long, and shared with a central heating boiler (kept it nice and warm though) so this will be quite a step up in size, I figure I will have room to put a central table in if I want to as well as having benches all round 3 walls :ThumbsUp:

I have also seen corrugated bitumen roofing panels, are they not as good as steel?

I've seen them too, I can't comment on their properties though, never used them.

My roof trusses will be also on 600mm centres, and having replaced some tin roofing on my dad's garage roof, the original tin roofing having lasted 40+ years (and it was just painted, not galvanised) I figure that tin roofing will not only last long enough, but also be a bit more sturdy considering the truss spacing.

Tim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
That's great Tim, It must be hard not have a place to play. Looking forward to seeing it comoleted and decked out with equipment. LOL....   :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this take shape.
It's so much fun to put together a shop!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Hi Tim.

It's good to see you're finally starting your shop build.  :whoohoo:

You've been some time, without a play area.......  ::)

Good luck!  :ThumbsUp:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
Keep it coming Tim...I'm watching!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
Thanks Guys  :ThumbsUp:

So the weather has been kind to me this week, and having had some time to spare I have managed to make the rest of the side panels.

Here's an "in-progress" pic (I kept getting carried away building and forgetting to take pics)

These are pretty simple and quick to make, I just cut the top and bottom pieces to length, then the 5 "Top-to-Bottom" pieces (technical term there)

Then with my brothers trusty pneumatic framing nailer (POWER!!!!) it takes a few seconds to fix all the bits together.

I also staple on some damp proof membrane to the bottom edge.

Then I cut down the OSB sheet to length (2 sheets per side section), then align the 1st sheet at one corner, fix with a screw, align another corner of sheet to frame, fix with another screw, then when you align the middle edges/corners with the frame it pulls the frame into square.

From cutting, nailing, cutting OSB and screwing it down, and then nailing the sheet every 12", and finally painting on some weatherproofing stuff, it all takes about 1.5-2hrs.

Then having an hour left of usable daylight, I made up 3 roof trusses.

So now I have a stack of workshop bits, and just need to make up another 4 roof trusses before assembly can take place..

So that's as far as I am up to, stay tuned for irregular updates.

Tim

Arbalest

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »
Where's the door?  :???:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »
Where's the door?  :???:

In the attic of my dad's garage  :lolb: :lolb: No really, that's where the door is at the moment. However, the hole for the door is in the bottom panel in the pictures.

Tim

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
I got a little more done, finished all the trusses, and as the weather has been so good this week I started assembling all the bits together.

After a couple of hours sweating (and a little work too) I got the walls up. Then my dad came round and we got the trusses installed and then got almost one side of the roof attached.

I got it all squared and levelled up, just got to mix a little cement fill all the gaps between the shed and the (very uneven) concrete base.

Anyway, here's a couple of photos of where I'm up to.

Tim

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
It's slow Tim but it is moving on so well done.  :ThumbsUp:
That first cup of coffee you drink in it will be a good one, savour it.  :)
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My photo website
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
It's slow Tim but it is moving on so well done.  :ThumbsUp:
That first cup of coffee you drink in it will be a good one, savour it.  :)

Thanks Chris :ThumbsUp: Fortunately I am a very patient person.

I am really looking forward to finishing it, wait a minute, it probably will never be finished, but at least finished to the point of making metal chips again.

Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal