Author Topic: This will not be fun.....  (Read 33837 times)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: This will not be fun.....
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
Well,

At the opposite end of the spectrum, we had a bushfire which came within metres of my daughters home. 2 water bombers and 4 helicopters + 20 fire engines managed to stop it before her and 4 of her neighbours went up in flames also her horses and pet sheep, dogs, cats and chooks all OK.

I gotta say that water bombing that close to houses creates its' own set of problems as when the water hits the ground it displaces a whole heap of burning embers some of which ended up on her roof my hat etc. The emergency fire pump earned its' biccys today keeping the roof  wet and in one piece.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
Geez Bob!   Be careful out there mate!   Wish I was there to help!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Bob- I'd take a blizzard over a fire any day.  Stay safe.

Freezing rain here today.  The deck, driveway and roads are all ice.  The kids have off due to the ice.  Unfortunately, my wife only had a two hour delay, she's a teacher in a different school district, she just left for work and said the roads are like an iceskating rink.  Now I sit here and worry until she calls and lets me know she arrived safely.

This global warming crisis is really amazing! ::)

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »
Freezing rain here too. I can't even walk down my driveway, which is a steep paved hill.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
Dave I'm glad you got through clean up ok and so quickly. That generator must have worked a treat on keeping the power on  ;) :cheers:

Yo redneck
Eric

Never lost power Eric!  I was lucky!

Officially, we got 29"...but it was powder on the way down...so it didn't take out the trees and wires...

Dave
My experience is that owning a generator, keeping it in working order, and having fuel for it serves to counteract one of Murphy's laws. Years back I bought a generator - after an October ice storm when it was too late, of course. Owning that generator kept the local power lines from failing as long as I owned that house.
Alan

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »
Local power lines already fell, now I have 2 generators.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
This global warming crisis is really amazing! ::)
-Bob

Yep, bring it on, I live a mile above sea level I quite fancy living next to the sea  :LittleDevil:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
Now CBS 2 News out of NYC is running the stories about "where were the plows!"  The Long Island Expressway was shut down for two days.  How can this be?!    Don't they get what the scope of what just occurred?  They are just like the politicians.  Sensationalize everything.  The best one was a young fellow who became stranded in his car without a jacket.  He called the police three times for help.  The area was warned for days that the storm was coming.  How do you go out without a coat?  Idiot!
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:33 AM »
Gee! Guys looks like your having a bang off a time. Bob, is,t it just like the local government not being ready? For Katrina they couldn't get there act straight to help stranded people . To busy getting on the news thanking each other. I quests they had to think about first. So I know how that goes.
Well... be safe guys all of you, I hope all goes well for you.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Now CBS 2 News out of NYC is running the stories about "where were the plows!"  The Long Island Expressway was shut down for two days.  How can this be?!    Don't they get what the scope of what just occurred?  They are just like the politicians.  Sensationalize everything.  The best one was a young fellow who became stranded in his car without a jacket.  He called the police three times for help.  The area was warned for days that the storm was coming.  How do you go out without a coat?  Idiot!

Typical victim......no people don't get it....sorry Bob....That's how a lot of people died in the Blizzard of 78...stranded in their cars...so I have to give the gov a piece of credit....well only one...he banned travel before it really hit...and that worked well....I doubt it was his idea though.

Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
Ol Pal, hope that generator amulet kept the lights on during the ice.
Don't get me started on the media. I refused on camera interview with all the stations. Wasn't in the talking mood. One even told me he really wanted an interview cause "I was the perfect bleeding heart story." Needless to say his station reported we near totally destroyed and wouldn't be reopening after I told him there might be few things fixing to bleed, but, it wasn't gonna be me. No, you are right people just don't get it. Yekon the fumes off of Rapid Tap is what makes us here a little better?

Yo Redneck
Eric

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
I worked for a large machine tool manufacturer years ago, and there was this plaque.  The print for this plaque had a part number...but it wasn't on any machine in the building.....if you were a smart a## ...and shot your mouth off...or didn't have a clue you didn't have a clue...one of the "graybeard" engineer would assign a change to this drawing...and the change was required to be completed immediately by the offending smart A^^.......When that person pulled the print...here's what the print of the plaque said

I "BE SURE TO ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE ENGAGING MOUTH" I

Worked most of the time...unless you were one of those types who goes out in a February Blizzard without a coat on!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
Dave, did I just see that y'all are gonna get it again? Get that generator ready,so, you can stay on the grid. You know this ain't fair. I have a grandaughter that's gonna turn 20 this year and she hasn't ridden PawPaw's sled but a coulpe of time in her life. I guess y'all just have all the fun :LittleDevil: :Jester: :cheers: PS when you can PM me an update on "things".

Yo Redneck,
Eric

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
Im good Eric....see PM

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal