Author Topic: Tool blackening Kit  (Read 21837 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Tool blackening Kit
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
Ade,

I tend to agree with you the dewatering oil (other than smelling horrid) does not seem to add value and takes for ever to dry. I normally give it half an hour then rub off the excess oil and spray the items with silicon spray, I suspect that that is providing as much, if not more, of the protection than the oil does.

I must admit that the kit is another of those things that if I did not have it I would be loathed to pay the £65 for it today but maybe that is just my natural Model Engineer's tendancy not to want to let the moths out of my purse if I can help it ;D.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Arbalest

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
Looking at Chuck's link I think the best option would be to get the 100ml kit and add another 100ml of the Metalblak liquid.
You'd end up with 1000ml working solution of conditioner and 800ml WS of the metalblak for £24.49 inc delivery. As said you can probably get away without the oil although the kit contains 100ml of it. You may well also get away with using caustic soda as a degreaser which is available cheaply. Just a thought.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

I must admit that the kit is another of those things that if I did not have it I would be loathed to pay the £65 for it today but maybe that is just my natural Model Engineer's tendancy not to want to let the moths out of my purse if I can help it ;D.

I thought long & hard about it, I must admit; but I wanted some contrast on my QCTP (not just shades of silvery grey), and it certainly came out of the blacking process looking superb. Over the last couple of years, it's lost a bit of its blackness, picked up a few scrapes and scratches, but still looks good.

I'd like to try the "used engine oil blacking process" one day, I have loads of oil, just nothing to black.

I know a place which sells small pieces of mesh for £coffee_money, if you fit some of that in your purse, nothing will escape! Mind you, nothing will get in either...
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

fcheslop

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
AdeV if Jo's purse is owt like wor lasses its easy getting money in ,it just never comes back out

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
AdeV if Jo's purse is owt like wor lasses its easy getting money in ,it just never comes back out

;D It does seem to be getting heavier  :embarassed:

fcheslop

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
MMMM, must be a female thing probably passed on from there mothers.
Do you also forget pin numbers at the crucial moment :Lol: :ThumbsUp:or do I just get conned :embarassed:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
 :noidea: I think I must have got something wrong along the lines. The way I remember it was I put all my salary in the joint account and when I came to try to buy something my ex had saved me the worry about how much money we had as he would have already over drawn the account and the magic father Christmas (credit) card irrespective of what I had managed to pay off was back on the limit :shrug:

I still find it difficult to spending money :-\

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »
I don't think Jo will have any delay in opening her purse if you stick a pile of castings in front of her, you just need to know her weaknesses ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
 :embarassed:

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
...when I came to try to buy something my ex had saved me the worry about how much money we had as he would have already over drawn the account...

Hmm, that sounds familiar - except I can't blame the ex...  :embarassed:

On the upside, I tend to spend most of my money on tools, tooling, or hare-brained schemes. If only I could reduce my spending on the latter, I might actually have some savings worth speaking of!
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline John S

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
Ower Gert goes into Queens Med next week to have her Barclaycard surgically removed.............
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Goldstar31

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
I'm interested in this  de-watering  :old:

fcheslop

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
I married the wrong woman :ROFL: :ROFL:
Although she tells me everyday how lucky I am and that she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I always tell her Iv had a sad life :embarassed:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »

I am open to offers, but warning you will have to accept me and the rest of my immediate family: six lathes, three milling machines, two shapers .... and just to clarify the casting sets are not up for adoption  :hellno:

Jo

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

I am open to offers, but warning you will have to accept me and the rest of my immediate family: six lathes, three milling machines, two shapers .... and just to clarify the casting sets are not up for adoption  :hellno:

Jo

It would appear that Jo's mailbox has collapsed under the load....  :LittleDevil:
Cheers,
Ade
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal