Author Topic: Cowells Drip Oilers.  (Read 5468 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Cowells Drip Oilers.
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
I have kept on meaning to make these and never got around to it. Well tonight I finally sat down and made the drip oilers for my Cowells. Originally she just had two oiling points on the headstock which every 20mins or so I seemed to have to give another drip of oil. You get bored of this after a few hours of machining.

Most of you will have seen how to cut the gauge glass, the machining techniques and the drawings for these oilers on my DTC thread ( http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,501.450.html )so I only intend on covering a few additional odds and ends. The first problem I can see you guys having is how do you get a thick fluffy piece of wool through a 1.4mm oil hole. Easy, take a needle and thread, pass the thread through the oil hole make a loop and pass it back down the hole. Put the wool through this loopand then pull both ends of the cotton and the wool with come with it. ;)

You use the same trick to get the wool through the weight, which in my case is a 10BA brass nut. If you are sneaky :naughty: you will take the opportunity of sticking the nut into the 5 minute epoxy at the bottom of the oiler to prevent it moving round in the future. So having glued the oilers together here they are:

The long wool tails are cut to a suitable length on inserting them in the hole. Don't forget the wool must extend past the bottom of the oiler for it to work properly. So here they are fitted on the Cowells:

:whoohoo:

Jo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:19:19 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Cowells Drip Oilers.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
Hi Jo

That's a nice well executed addition to the Cowells lathe; Is there any way to turn them off or will they continue to wick all the oil out of the glass even when the lathe is not in use?

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
Very nice setup Jo, I can use some on my Myford. Thanks for showing.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »
Hi Jo

That's a nice well executed addition to the Cowells lathe; Is there any way to turn them off or will they continue to wick all the oil out of the glass even when the lathe is not in use?

Dave

Sadly they will continue to wick all the oil out, but that is the nature of this type of oiler. How long that takes, I will slowly find out.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
My Waltham lathe uses the same design.....nice one Jo...

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »
Nice one Jo.

I've always liked oilers. Besides the functional aspect...they add nice detail.
I still have a memory of when I first saw one on an engine in a museum...and wondering what the heck it was.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal