Author Topic: Redo of Elmer's Standby for beginners  (Read 17522 times)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Redo of Elmer's Standby for beginners
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »
Rick,
If a beginner wants more choices, he or she should go for something entirely different. I just can't think of anyway to MESS it up more.  :shrug:

BUT... The more I think about it, the more I'm bothered by using the model linkage for the bellcrank version. There must be some simple way of fabricating this linkage and allowing for the two degrees of freedom at the bell crank end. And a beginner certainly needs to learn to thread a rod as well as threading a clevis.
 :stir: :stir:
Alan
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:33:17 PM by Alan Haisley »

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »

BUT... The more I think about it, the more I'm bothered by using the model linkage for the bellcrank version. There must be some simple way of fabricating this linkage and allowing for the two degrees of freedom at the bell crank end. And a beginner certainly needs to learn to thread a rod as well as threading a clevis.
 :stir: :stir:
Alan

No problem.    :cheers:    I have also done it with .25" round rod and the same brass strap used elsewhere in the engine but just put a half twist in it.  You just have to make the hole in the end large enough.    I just wanted to play with the ball links and zero slop.

Anyone else have a simple solution?   How about for the pivot points?   I just used the screws to keep it easy.   But I  am open to other solutions also.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »
I can't help much...but I'm still a newbie...and what struck me when starting out was some of the terms.
'clevis' for example. I suspect many don't know what that means (I still don't really).

Some descriptions (at the risk of telling many how to 'suck eggs' as they say) is appreciated.

For that matter, the only reason I know what a bellcrank is from the old days when I use to fly control line planes.  ;D

Difficult I know. How much is too much?

Just a thought.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:39 AM »
Zee;  I think you are right about terms.   No need to worry about someone already knowing them.   Those who don't will learn and those who already know will just read a little faster.   I still get corrected frequently on parts of steam engines and always welcome it.   No need to go on looking ignorant if you don't have to!

I think a final full build thread should happen.   In it would be beginner basic things like; how to drill aluminum, how to tap straight, how to drill accurately, how to measure and layout, and other things we take for granted.

Look back over this thread and see if there are terms that should be explained or defined.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 02:36:47 AM »
Here you go Alan!   Just took some .062" brass stock and free handed it on the band saw to make a quick connecting rod.   Stuck it in the vise and twisted it 90 degrees.    Works like a champ and easy to do.

IMG_5940 by black85vette, on Flickr

This shot has the modular rear valve attached to the cylinder

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
Updated the drawings for the modular components.    Don't have the last engine with bell crank and rear valve drawn up yet.   Added those drawings as ezmodular4.jpg
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:14:44 PM by black85vette »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal