Author Topic: Redo of Elmer's Standby for beginners  (Read 17204 times)

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
Redo of Elmer's Standby for beginners
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »
This has been kicking around in my head for a long time.   I built Elmer's Standby years ago.  The rotary valve interested me.   I did not like the small scale / drills / screws / taps etc.   Always thought it would be fun on a larger scale.  Then the post about a beginner's engine got me to thinking about this again.   Drew up some quick pencil sketches at work with some rough dimensions as guide lines.

With the same approach as my past EZ Engine I wanted it simple, no mill needed, common tools, and minimum of pieces to order.   

So here we go.  Started with .75" x 2" aluminum bar and bought 4.5 inches of it.   .75" for the main shaft support.  1.5" for the cylinder and 2" for the flywheel.   Cut it into its pieces;

IMG_5888 by black85vette, on Flickr

Flywheel first.   Locate the center and center punch.   I use some cloth gaffer's tape on my chuck for added friction.   Hold it tight with the live center and then make it round;

IMG_5893 by black85vette, on Flickr

IMG_5894 by black85vette, on Flickr

Face both sides then drill the hole for the .25" shaft undersize followed by a chucking reamer.

IMG_5895 by black85vette, on Flickr

Cylinder is drilled undersize 1.25" deep followed by .5" chucking reamer.  Cylinder is .375" below the top.   Then drill a .125" hole at the very rear of the cylinder bore.

IMG_5891 by black85vette, on Flickr

Support for the crank shaft is drilled undersize followed by .25" chucking reamer.   The shaft is also .375" down from the top.   Then two .125" holes are drilled.   They need to be .25" apart and evenly spaced in from each side.   They match up with the valve.  Rerun the reamer after drilling the two holes to clean it up for the shaft.

IMG_5890 by black85vette, on Flickr

The valve is cut into the shaft.   The exaust port is .25" wide and the intake is .5" wide.   You can see the relationship to the two holes in the support piece.    The two notches are .050" deep.

IMG_5897 by black85vette, on Flickr

Drill a .125" hole in the end closest to the exhaust (shorter) notch.   Drill to the center of the notch.

IMG_5886 by black85vette, on Flickr

Then drill through the exhaust notch into the hole just drilled in the end of the shaft.

IMG_5887 by black85vette, on Flickr

I made a piston from .5" brass and .5" long.  Just turned down some on one end and made a flat at the center of the piston.   Drilled and tapped a 6-32 thread.   Made a crank from some scrap aluminum.   Used a 6-32 set screw in the end of the crank and drilled / tapped a 6-32 hole offset .375" from the shaft for the crank pin to give a stroke of .75".     Made two .125" wide spacers for the shaft to keep the flywheel and crank away from the support.

IMG_5899 by black85vette, on Flickr

Used epoxy to glue three .125" pieces of brass tubing into place and to hold the flywheel on.   Using some fuel line that is the right diameter for a snug fit on the brass tubing.   Also made some small spacers / bushings to go over the screws for the connecting rod to ride on.  They are just wide enough (.075") to allow the connecting rod to not bind when the screws are tightened.  Connecting rod was drilled just slightly larger than the bushings and was made from 2" of .25" x .125" brass.

IMG_5900 by black85vette, on Flickr

There you go.   Took me about 6  hours of shop time.   So maybe this is the One-a-day engine.  Fired up the compressor and it ran on about 2-3 lbs of air pressure.   Here is the video.  (because I know you will harass me if I don't post one)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjVXyCmL3bc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjVXyCmL3bc</a>

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Redo of Elmer's Standby for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:13 AM »
Thats slick!
& simple, nice...

John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »
A little diversion Rick??

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
6 hours?!!! Augh!
That might scare off some beginners.
First time I built an engine it took me that long to convince myself I had the stock in the chuck right.  :Lol:

Nah. That'll show the beginners how easy it can be.

Nice job Rick.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
A little diversion Rick??

Yes, waiting on a couple of orders to come in.   Very relaxing to go from something that is half done in 4 months to something completed in 6 hrs. 

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »
Yea been thinking about dragging the Poppin out of the cupboard; no I can't, I need to stay focused on the project at hand.

Nice job on he Standby by the way :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
Wow!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
Very nice Rick!!  You should enter it in the competition for the beginner's engine too.

Bill

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
6 hours?!!! Augh!
That might scare off some beginners.
First time I built an engine it took me that long to convince myself I had the stock in the chuck right.  :Lol:

Nah. That'll show the beginners how easy it can be.

Nice job Rick.

6hrs to drink coffee and ponder the meaning of life.

That's how things go in my workshop as well.

Anyway, a good post. thanks
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »

6hrs to drink coffee and ponder the meaning of life.

That's how things go in my workshop as well.

Anyway, a good post. thanks

Yes - great post. I am pleased to see that someone else shares my "speed of approach" in the shoppe too. I would say I am currently at about 3 cups of tea per fastener inserted or removed into / from a thing.  ;D
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »
Some updates;

I posted my version of the McCabe Runner in another thread and was thinking about reworking my original EZ Engine into this same format.   A thought occurred to me.    Instead of 3 separate engines, make this a modular system with common components.   The valve that I came up with for the McCabe could just as easy be a standalone valve and use the same cylinder / piston as the previous engine.   That would use most of the engine but make it with 3 different valve types.   So maybe instead of EZ this becomes the 3Fer?   Then the McCabe with the more complicated bell crank and connecting rod can be a level 2.

I have some basic dimensions drawn up and will post them now.   I forgot to convert them to .pdf which are easier to display so I will just put up the .jpg version for now.   But the cool news is that Johnmcc69 put this into CAD and produced some really nice 3D drawings.   I will post them also.

Later I will post up the basic engine with the 2nd type valve for it.   It is in the shop and almost ready to run.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »
Here is the same engine but just added the valve assembly.

IMG_5917 by black85vette, on Flickr

Here is the type of valve being used.  Still don't know what to call it.   Anyone know??

IMG_5919 by black85vette, on Flickr

Third valve will be a piston type valve that looks like a barbell.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:37:12 AM »
Here is a quick video.   Runs fine at low pressure.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N1rdvxc--I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N1rdvxc--I</a>

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:20:14 AM »
Here is the type of valve being used.  Still don't know what to call it.   Anyone know??

Don't ask me. I'd probably come up with some generic names that start with 'doo' or 'thinga' and then Marv would be all over me.

Nice video. You just know there's some people out there thinking they could do that. And they can!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Groomengineering

• Kansas US
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Hey Rick, interesting concept, I like it.  :ThumbsUp:  As to your valve, I would consider it a piston valve because it, well, pistons...  :thinking:  :shrug:  ^-^

Cheers

Jeff
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal