Author Topic: Working Corliss Valve Release  (Read 10723 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: Working Corliss Valve Release
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Tim

That is the one!  The second pf the two above is exactly what I was looking for.  If you are into reading the description in patent documents, you will find several references to the trips and the bent arms folding and unfolding.  The elevation drawing is much clearer that I had seen previously and the plan drawing, I had not seen at all.  the combination and some of the detail inserts helped me work out the way that the governor is linked to the cutoff.  That is a lot of help.

Now if any one has pictures or knows of the existence of such an engine or had a personal contact with one of these engines, I would like to hear from you.  The lack of any may be an indication of the success of this engine.

Thanks Tim

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Jerry,
   If you liked 505153, you might get something from 643,203 (Rittenhouse) which claims to improve it: "...prevent direct pounding, and thus avoid unnecessary noise.". Maybe some insight into perceived faults in the mechanism.

http://www.google.com/patents/US643203?printsec=drawing&dq=643203&ei=56MTUdPTFsSNyAHbtoDgAw#v=onepage&q=643203&f=false

--Tim

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »
Yes, I do indeed like that one. Not because the additional springs or cushions are anything that I could add to a model but because this patent shows the over-center link in much greater detail than previously shown.  It also answers a question that I had.  The re-linking of this mechanism relies on the weight of the bent steam arm to drop over-center.  I had been concerned that the weight might not be enough and that some other method might need to be added to insure the action.  This patent shows that not only is the weight enough, the action is so solid that it needs to be cushioned so as not to disturb the engineers contemplation of serious matters (nap). :o

I also had not considered that the rods on this and probably others might be hollow pipe, but I should have. Some of these control rods are very long and the weight of solid rod would add to the wear on pivots.  On the other hand, the additional inertia of solid rod might be beneficial in damping the motion of the governor control rods.

Again, many thanks.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »
Hi Guys & Jo,
 Having mentioned in a reply to Arnold that I had stumbled across an article in a back issue of Model Engineer on Corliss valve gear, I finally made to Dads to get the article.

Ok it's in M.E. 3 March 1978 issue 3580 & it's part 1

Thought I'd post it here instead of Arnold's article as it seemed to fit better, hope it's of use or that you can find the back issues. If not I may be able to help out as our club has back issue of M.E. the pile I pulled this from at Dads wasn't in any particular order & covered a range of years so he mightn't even have the follow up parts

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »
Thanks Kerrin,

Found it page 258  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »

Hi Jo,
 No problem, enjoy your bed time reading!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal