Author Topic: Grinding Lathe Tools  (Read 4680 times)

Arbalest

Grinding Lathe Tools
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
I went over to a belt sander for tool sharpening some years ago. Here's a write up from someone else who uses one, hope it's of interest.

http://www.machinistblog.com/grinding-lathe-tools-on-a-belt-sander/

And for fine finishing:

http://www.machinistblog.com/how-to-grind-and-use-the-contrary-finishing-tool/#more-2847

I normally use a round nose tool but I must give the above a try!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Grinding Lathe Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Those are a couple of nicely written articles, thanks for the links. All my best work so far has been with HSS, and I still have many things to try to improve the finish on various materials. I'm always interested in seeing more info on making cutting tools.

Cheers!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Those are a couple of nicely written articles, thanks for the links. All my best work so far has been with HSS, and I still have many things to try to improve the finish on various materials. I'm always interested in seeing more info on making cutting tools.

Cheers!

Totally agree, a great couple of articles.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »
I use my disc sander for a lot of finish work and on my HSS tools.   Only use the grinder for initial rough shaping.  Since one of my other interests is hotrods, I have tools and supplies for body work.   I can get 6" discs up to 1500 grit for a really fine finish.  So far I have not found a 1500 grit belt.  The other thing I like about the disc is that one side is going up while the other side is going down.  Sometimes holding the piece is easier with the rotation going one way rather than the other.

The disc sander I use is a re-cycled treadmill.   I used the motor/controller and have a variable speed 6" disc.   Cost = $0

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Ou!Ou!(think Horshack) Rick, care to show  a pic or two of your disk sander? I happen to have a spare treadmill motor/controller or two waiting for a project.
Also don't have a diak/belt sander, though HF's 30" belt job temps me. If it had a disk on it also, I'd have one.

Chuck

Arbalest

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
I have a combined belt and disc sander so use whatever's best at the time, usually the belt. What's nice about the belt is that you can change grades quickly - I can even change the belt on mine whilst the motors still running.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal