Author Topic: Hello from the Deep South!  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Bluechips

Hello from the Deep South!
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »
Hello to the forum!

My name is Mike and I hail from Louisiana, USA.  Right on the Mississippi River about a 100 miles north of Baton Rouge.

I made my living on and off for about 20 years as a job shop machinist. 

I am currently collecting machines and setting up a shop at my house.  So far I have a 16" South Bend and a 12" Sheldon that I have refurbished and fitted both with VFD's.  I also have a J head Bridgeport that is next in line for a redo.  My newest addition is a 16" Newey shaper.  I'm still collecting tooling and building an area to keep them.  I also want to get into a little foundry work. My current shop is geared toward welding fabrication and automotive maintenance.  My OT interests are motorcycles and hotrods.

I lurked on HMEM for many months without doing an intro.  I decided to correct that on the ground floor over here.  I've never built a model engine, but have plans to.  There are enough nice engines in Elmer's collection to keep me busy for quite a while.  I did get to build a connecting rod cap for the Delta Queen steamboat many years ago, but there was enough metal in that to build a few dozen models! ;D

Mike

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
Re: Hello from the Deep South!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
Hi Mike.  So glad to have you with us!

Dean
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline Bluechips

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »
Thanks, Dean.

Looks like a awful lot of talent signing up here.  I'm looking forward to getting my shop sorted out and start making chips.  Hope my efforts measure up.

Mike

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
You're off to a flying start here then Mike, don't be 'fraid to pitch in.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal