Author Topic: F-8E A Plastic Distraction  (Read 11213 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
F-8E A Plastic Distraction
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »
Hi all,

I don't know if there is anyone else on here who shares an interest in plastic modelling but this is something I took up again about 2003 after making a model of a Lancaster bomber for my cousins eightieth birthday. At the time I was having a (work orientated) severe disinterest in matters machining and this proved to be an extremely satisfying and rewarding pastime. Until that is I began making those I/C engines three years ago  - result - occasional conflict  :-\

Anyway after the Tigre engines were finished I felt I just had to take a break and work on this. I came close to weakening once or twice and nearly put it away but persevered and now it's finished I can concentrate on some new engines without it 'beckoning'.

This model is not just assembled from a kit but built up using aftermarket parts and a fair deal of scratchbuilding detailing and yes the old lathe and mill did get used for that  ;)

Anyway here is what has kept me off the machining for several months - hope you find it of interest.

Although I enjoy the making to some extent it is adding to the detailing and painting that gives me the most pleasure. With the exception of the 'rescue' and ejector seat warnings all markings above 2mm high are masked and sprayed, decals only being used for the very small stencilling.

There are no plans for anything else at the moment so it's press on with the new engine  ;)

Hope there's no objection to sharing a plastic model alongside all these brilliant engineering projects

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:00:07 AM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: F-8E aA Plastic Distraction
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
That's a beautiful model Ramon!    Got any more detail pictures?

That stuff is great...and it is amazing how one discipline crosses over to others.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Wow that is a beautiful model; I would also love to see detail shots.

Thanks for sharing this with us,
Dave

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:14 PM »
"
Hope there's no objection to sharing a plastic model alongside all these brilliant engineering projects"

OH Hell no!   Detail is key and it speaks to talent and patience,,,and planning.

Those skills and traits are just as valid in plastic as they are in metal.

It's always instructive...and inspiring!

Well done!

:cheers:
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: F-8E A Plastic Distraction
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »
Hi Guys - just posted some detail shots but got logged out and lost the entire post.

It's late - back tomorrow then

Regards - Ramon

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
Ramon
You should be able to set your login time to forever.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
Nice detailing Ramon. To me that adds more than the construction and machining. Cant remember if it was here or elsewhere, someone posted pictures on a super detailed railroad shop. I could have spent hours looking at it.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 01:16:06 AM »
I did a lot of plastic models as a kid and always wanted to return to it.
I always appreciate seeing quality work like that one.
I'd say it's a candidate for Finescale Modeler's gallery.

There's been other posts and threads showing people's 'other' talents.
I enjoy them for lots of reasons including an insight into people not to mention the talent that's out there.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 01:33:25 AM »
Oh superb Ramon, great to see. I used to do a lot of plastic scale modelling up until about 13 years ago, which is when I moved to the states. Before that I was president of the local plastic modellers club in my home town for a season. That is some excellent detail work on that model - very nice indeed.

Regrettably my precious collection of English Electric Lightnings was unable to come stateside with me, and is, alas, no more. Fun memories though.

Well done - I really enjoyed looking at that model. The detail in the cockpit is amazing. Are there etched brass parts in there, or did you fabricate them yourself?
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »
Beautiful detail on the Crusader Ramon.  Nicely done.   :ThumbsUp:

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
Ramon, thats great, I'v got a Mossie to build, and that example might just spur me on, there is a bit of incentive here at the moment, the rebuilt Mosquito is about to be stripped down for transporting to its home in USA, had its last public outing in NZ this last weekend.
  Got an idea for your next engine, maybe not a working one, a Pratt& Whitney J 57-P-20 gas turbine, to match the F-8E.    Ian S C     For photos/vidios of the 12" to the ft Mosquito have a look for rnzafproboards.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
Very nice Ramon, over the years I have dabbled in AFV and car models and like you using the aftermarket resin and photo etch parts which do add so much more than the injection process can.

Do you have any photos before it was painted, I almost enjoy them more as it shows what extra details have been added.

I do have  agrey army of figure still to paint but the ME stuff has a stronger draw at the moment, these are a few of mine.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
Hi Guys - well I'm a mite surprised but very pleased to see your interest. Plastic modelling can be seen to not being PC with some  ::)

As said I find the painting the most interesting and absorbing and am usually inspired by something that needs a deal of 'weathering'. This particular model is low key in that respect as it is intentionally 'stylised' with everything open but that's how I wanted to do it.

'Zee' - Strangely enough I do not post on any 'plastic' forum nor visit them very often and the only time the models get an airing is at the odd show I attend throughout the year. Most of the time they stay hidden as you can see.

Anyway for those who asked and those who might like to see a bit more I've taken a few detail shots this morning. No lighting set up so the pics are not brilliant but good enough I hope.

The jet exhaust is an aftermarket addition - difficult to paint internally (with an airbrush) but really adds that bit extra.

Attempting to replicate all metal finishes is another challenge. As with other models made this was done with Alclad paints which are designed for this effect.

The main undercarriage bay is an aftermarket part too which a small amount of self detailing. These cast resin parts are a marvel of the model makers art - to see the original masters must be something else

The speed brake bay internals are entirely scratch built - like many times when making these models the work put in is never visible in it's entirety - but the effect hopefully is.

This next couple of pics is a case in point. When the wing is raised on the full size aircraft there are some pretty prominent caphead bolts visible under the wing along with some pipework and a fair bit of details on top of the engine. Though most of it would not been seen I particularly wanted to try to replicate that effect.

A small punch and die was made and the 'heads' punched out of styrene sheet before being added one at a time to the (as far as could be ascertained) correct pattern. The pipework was from copper wire stretched to straighten it then bent to shape.

The kit detailing on this engine bay part was removed and replaced with scratch buiilt parts from a variety of materials - stretched wire, etched brass, plastic rod, silver foil etc. Not everything is there but what is is not artistic license but as close to photographic info as I could get. Perusing photos must consume about 35% of a build time - a lot of time is spent on that aspect - as nothing is added without firm confirmation

The cockpit is also an aftermarket resin part. 'Prop Forward' - The seat belts are etched brass as is the dash - I tried to get a pic but it's too dark

There was etch included with the main kit most of which was ditched but this ammo feed is one thing that got used

Apart from that very small stencilling here and there all the markings are masked and sprayed. This way the paintwork can match the faded paint of the aircraft. Using decals it is very difficult to achieve that effect uniformly

Jason, no I'm afraid I didn't - I very rarely take pics of these in progress. This one was nearing the end though in it's jig on final assembly.

Finally, in case you are wondering, this is where it will live for most of the time - under a protective cover made from mountboard to keep off the dust.

It will get taken to the odd show - usually about four a year get attended but for the rest of the time it will sit with these made previously.

Well that's it - you've seen my other side. I find it immensely relaxing and I do enjoy it but it does cause conflict at times. I have found the best way to deal with it is to try to concentrate on one aspect of modelling at a time - don't think too much about the road ahead but rather the path I'm on - stick with it then move on to the oppostite side when it's finished - that said of course, it doesn't always work like that ::)

Thanks for you interest and very kind comments, as always much appreciated.

Now, it really is time to get back to those Eta drawings

regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:42:20 PM by Ramon »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Our maintainers would get shot for allowing a bird to look scruffy, hides too many issues with the flight surfaces and the fly boys can get really snotty about a dirty bird  ;).

Jo

?

;D - Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
That was a swift change of heart Jo ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal