Author Topic: Another Hole Centering Tool  (Read 3554 times)

Offline _Paul_

Another Hole Centering Tool
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
My old Geo.Taylor MKII like many other small mills lacks the daylight to use a Blake but this get me within a thou or two:

Paul

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re: Another Hole Centering Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
I have been meaning to make one of those for ages.

I don't want to knock what you have done, but I hope you don't mind a constructive comment.

Just looking at yours, I can see one way to improve its sensitivity would be to make the upper part of the pointer a bit longer.
There is room to extend its radius by as much again and double its accuracy.

Phil

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
Another Hole Centering Tool
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
Paul, haven't seen anything like that before. I presume you locate the point in the hole and then align the central line to mark at the top. Is this just done by eye only I can't see any other way or graduations?
Chris

Offline _Paul_

Re: Another Hole Centering Tool
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »
Phil,
Dont mind constructive criticism one bit this was about the third incarnation of the pointer getting something that thin <14 swg to stay flat after cutting was fun I might extend the pointer as you say there is room I could perhaps solder a leg onto the top half? the commercially made ones are made that way.

Chris,
Absolutely correct no graduations only by eye, I can imagine it would be be better with a scale of some sort if I make a MKII I may do that but as it stands if I need something more accurate I put it in the Bridgeport and use a Coax indicator.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal