Author Topic: NickG's Mine Engine  (Read 8858 times)

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
NickG's Mine Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
It's a good idea Stew using as many common parts as you can, Stuart did it, Elmer and whoever does those French designs. I like those, am tempted to do the beam engine but after this is done it may form a good basis for one of those to my own design. Also by the time you do the others you have learnt a lot on the first.

Glad you think round rods too. I am trying to avoid solder anywhere on this engine so maybe round ends loctited or screwed on.

Nick

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Re: NickG's Mine Engine
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
I've done a bit more on this and constructed a mock-up of the valve gear. It took a bit of working out but so much easier in 3D solid modelling.

I've decided against round rods in the end - that may change when I make them but I am planning to mill the profile on the parent stock, drill holes and use a slitting saw to saw 2 off - might work, have seen similar techniques used before.

All the parts for the engine are now just about done, I just need to make sure i've got all the final versions, carry out the final assembly and start working on the 2D drawings. It's pretty easy but takes some time to get them dimensioned the way I want it and clearly. There are quite a few parts now though, by far the largest project I have taken on so far  :o

I think I might just buy all the metal I need to save routing around for it!

Nick
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:56:32 PM by NickG »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal