Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 91460 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »
They look very professional Ramon  :ThumbsUp:.

I bet you are looking forward to getting them together to give you a bit of bench space again  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »
Those look great Ramon!.... :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
Hi 'Guys'
As always thanks for your interest.

Jo you'd be right there - the next project is going to need quite a bit of space  ;)

Thought some might like to see a few pics of the piston making - the lapping of 'em will be on the other thread....

They were turned from some 1" cast iron bar bought from 'Noggin End' - no connection just satisfied. The bar was lovely to machine - very uniform and was taken down to 20.0mm  diameter long enough to make the four pistons and contra-pistons.

The ODs were turned to 18.5mm and the inside drilled and bored to depth. The inside diameter of the skirt was then relieved to 16.5 mm to fit on the turning fixture and the whole parted off before transfreing to the mill to have the wrist pin hole drilled and reamed.

Once to this stage  the internal profile could be milled first setting the wrist pin square to the table.. This was acheived by holding a slip block against a dowel in the wrist pin hole and squaring up to it by using the rotary table to align it

Oops just hit the post button  ::)

The major slot was milled by plunge milling in 1mm steps - the slip and dowel was removed first  ;)

To lighten it as much as possible the corners of the bosses were relieved .....

Before popping back in soft jaws to turn a relief at the top

Once this stage was reached they could be mounted on the fixture.....

..... for finishing the ODs and turning to length

The contra pistons were all bored to fit an expanding mandrel used in reverse ie the expanding screw removed and the spring of the jaws used to provide the gripping power. This is sufficient to resist turning forces for turning the OD, facing and the turning of the cone recess. Once finished to fit a liner the wall thickness will be reduced.

And all done ready for lapping

Assembly began today along with some anodising. The lower ends all went together with a minimum of tweaking just a couple of the bearing housings proving slightly too tight. Hopefully if all goes well they could be together tomorrow  ;)

Regards for now - Ramon

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:08:51 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »
Ramon, I notice your piston turning fixture places the work a long way from the chuck, is there any reason for this? Or do you make it long to start with and take a bit off to true it up each time you chuck it and the longer length gives more uses.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »
Morning Jason - yes looking at the image it does appear to have rather a lot of overhang. Took a look at it this morning - the reduced portion is just 35 mm long and it is as you say for recutting the seating for each piston(s)as well as allowing the lap or hone to pass - the last one had got far too short for that to happen.

The pistons, by the stage you see it here, have only a small amount to come off - in this case 18.5 to 17.95 - so far no chatter has been experienced even with this bit of overhang.

Just finished the first wrist pin so am about to assemble the first engine  ;) The anodising didn't go quite as well as hoped for - more on this a bit later but for now, it's back to the comfort zone :)

Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
Hi 'Guys'
Thought you might like to see this  ;)

First engine assembled is the Elite Mk2 ( the original was all 'self coloured' - no anodising on this one)

Hit a small problem with the piston skirt hitting what I first thought was the crank web - after taking off a mil on diameter it was catching on the top of the front housing register  ::) a quick stripdown and a step milled on cured that. The only other hiccup was the comp screw - all of these were screw cut to their respective heads to ensure a good fit but this one did not want to go in bar a few threads - it would go in the other heads okay and the others would fit but this wasn't having any of it till I ran a well opened up die down it  :???:

Anyway the thing you really want to know  - is yes it did  :)

Didn't take long to find the settings and once found it was away - revs kept well down at this stage - prop is the usual 'first run' wooden  12" x 5" and the fuel kept nice and rich. Couldn't run it for long as my neighbours house is only about 50 feet away directly behind the workshop. They are pretty tolerant but I don't like to over do it. However with the comp well back it did have a gorgeous intermittent diesel 'crack' to the exhaust note

Well that's the first one done - three more to go - had much better success on the anodising only to spoil it when distracted by the crank/piston problem - ah! Sue's right there then - I can't multi- task ;)

More on that a bit later - I'm off to concentrate on the anodising and see if I can get it right this time  ::)

Regards - Ramon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Well done Ramon  :ThumbsUp:, I wish I could say the same about the R&B  :-[

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »
Good to see one going Ramon and by the looks of the "Gold Top" in the background the anodising is comming along. Also looking forward to seeing the silencer that you mentioned to me.

Are the cross head screws commercial ones, modified commercial or completely made by you? if the latter I would be interested in your method of cutting the cross slots.

J

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
Wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Sue's right there then - I can't multi- task ;)

Regards - Ramon

Very Nice Ramon  :NotWorthy:

Regarding the above. Galina tells me the same thing. My response is. "I know this is one of the shortfalls of the male, however that means I apply 100% to the task in hand - remember how well I chose when I chose you."  :cartwheel:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
Sue's right there then - I can't multi- task ;)

Regards - Ramon

Very Nice Ramon  :NotWorthy:

Regarding the above. Galina tells me the same thing. My response is. "I know this is one of the shortfalls of the male, however that means I apply 100% to the task in hand - remember how well I chose when I chose you."  :cartwheel:

Best Regards
Bob

I like that one Bob. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Cheers  :cheers:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »
Hi again 'Guys'

Jo - hang on in there you will get there in the end and it will be all the more satisfying  :ThumbsUp:

Jason, the screws are commercial stainless 6-32 Philips pan heads modified to look like the original engines round head versions.

Contrary to virtually every other makers engines - if not all - the Eta 15s had these roundhead screws - everyone else used slotted cheese head - It did look strange at the time compared to others but I feel it now adds a certain character. I found impossible to get stainless Philips R/H hence the mod.

The Mk3 was assembled next and I managed to give it a run this afternoon. About the same as the Elite earlier not quite the crack and much steadier with the compression backed off. I only ran it long enough to get a couple of pics .....

Anodising the two Elites has not been without a few problems mainly based on using gold dye for the first time.  However I've learnt quite a bit today - As you can see above the blue on the Mk 3 went quite smoothly but but the gold was a real pain. I did some test pieces first and acheived this lovely pale gold which was just right.

(Yellow was tried to just to see if it looked 'gold')

One head, prop driver and spinner then went in together and appeared to have anodised okay. They all went in the dye together too and this was the point when I was distracted by the problem with the piston hitting the register. Oops  :facepalm2:  they were left a bit too long and that pale gold turned into a much deeper shade - nearer bronze. No pics as yet but as Jason noticed you can see it in the background. For some reason the spinner appeared not to have been degreased thoroughly and was a complete disaster so was set aside while the same three parts for the second engine were done. This time the parts did not seem to anodise as well and despite a long soak they would only reach a 'biscuit' colour and two varying shades at that.
Heres some of the 'disasters'

After some thought it was decided to keep the darker shade as is and try to match the spinner from a second attempt. I had not tried to remove anodising before but knew that a soak in hot caustic soda solution was recommended. Got this heated up and in went the part - nothing happened at first then suddenly it 'burst' into action bubbling and fizing like mad. It was washed clean before degreasing as usual in washing soda solution and re-anodised. Lovely uptake of colour as close a shade as mattered but left it in the steambath too long without turning it - the colour leached out on one side - Another case of 'Golly Gosh' - isn't this fun  :facepalm2:

Stripped the 'biscuit' coloured parts and re-anodised  and this time getting a good shade of gold but time was pressing at this stage and dinner was on hold  :o - I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Things learnt ? Gold appears to need more care than other colours.  Hot Caustic Soda solution really does strip the anodising off. It also puts a lovely matt finish on which the anodising does not seem to affect - colour then is flatter than usual. The process though could be used to apply a dull smooth finish to self coloured parts - I did think about leaving it as was but it didn't look right. Colouring the last parts I left the driver in the dye as it seemd slightly lighter than the head. In the time it took to pop the head in the steam bath the driver had increased in colour. Aagh - but I tried putting the head back into the colour - after the soak in the steam bath to seal it and surprisingly it took up more colour - something well worth knowing for the future

Sorry for the lack of pics - it's been a busy day  :)

Regards - Ramon

Bob - I'll save that one  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:00:55 PM by Ramon »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
Some really nice engines (again)  :)

Glad you stayed and show us - any chance of a video (with the glorious noise)  :Love:

Best wishes

Per

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
Yes Video would be wonderful....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2013, 12:35:20 AM »
Yes Video would be wonderful....

Dave
Agree we need it.
 Ramon when you have finished with your lapping thread, would it be much trouble to make one on anodizing?

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal