Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 90389 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
Hi Vince , the two Daves, Don and Steve,

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments. Had a really good clean up today and the ole 'shop is now 'sterile' once more ;D

I'm reminded that the house needs the same treatment so it's the 'division of duties day' tomorrow but I'll try to escape at the earliest opportunity  ;) and begin to tackle those back plates.

Don, it's pleasing to hear that what I have/am posting about has some small influence on anothers thinking. I don't do it for any other reason than to share in the hope that it will help someone and, as occasion has had it, to learn from others in so doing.

For me, thinking through the job beforehand is something that is ingrained from my work and I see it very much as an important part of the whole process. By considering carefully what you are about to do and the influence that that may/will have further down the line is paramount to my way of working.  Good planning should set the path for everything to follow and whilst it doesn't always work out as planned, for most of the time it does, making things that much easier all round. It's all too easy to get enthusiastic and blast into that part/casting only to find a bit later you've jumped the gun when things don't fit or are out of line. I usually begin by running through all the ops on paper in simple sketches of set ups face by face before cutting anything - it's a good way of familiarising yourself with whats ahead and if you get it wrong it's a lot cheaper on paper too  :D

You seem to be doing alright at it though Don, from what I have seen of your work so far. Loved your filing rest by the way - super job. I jury rigged one when 'needs must' years ago and always promised myself something better - I'm quite envious of a very nice bit of kit :ThumbsUp:

Thanks again guys.

Back soon hopefully with some more pics - Ramon

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:49:14 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
Hi guys, seems a while since last posting but I've been beavering away none the less ;)

Had to take a break to fix a new winch in the yacht which took longer than anticipated but apart from that have managed to make good progress on the backplates.  A lot of milling in these for what they are and they aren't quite finished yet but here are a few pics....

They began as 35mm long blocks of 38 mm square HE30 Ali. First off was to bring them square and 1mm up on all faces and centre drill for the venturi position and the register on the opposite face

The intake hole was drilled and the taper turned then the block reversed for turning the register and recess for the rotor plate. The red blocks are 6mm perspex which makes for very good protective packing.

Next up was to press that previously made drill jig into service and drill the bolt holes

Then set the blocks up on the rotary table for milling the intake cavity.. this shows the leading and trailing edges being defined (important) - before removing the waste - (not so important). Incidentally that little Record vise is one of a pair bought for a very reasonable price then precision ground as a pair - Oh don't I just miss the use of a Jones and Shipman 1400 on a daily basis  ;)

Next up was to rough out around the intake tube then set them up in a clamp plate on the face plate for finishing to thickness and turning the taper on the intake tube OD

With that done the plate was transfered to the R/T on the mill for roughing and finish milling the pocket in the back

The bolt bosses were milled - note the pin for indexing rather than setting up each hole

And now it's time for the fun bit to begin  ::)

They are a little more advanced than shown here but not much so I'll leave it for now and post some more when they are finished  - the angles on the sides to mill, drill and tap for the spray bar and cut a rebate in the intake tube for the bolt head left to do plus of course, that final fettle.

As usual hope that's of interest to someone  :)

Regards - Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »
Just a quick update on these backplates which were finally finished today - a lot of milling ops for such a small part...

After a good initial fettling and smoothing with Scotchbrite and Garrylex that clamp plate was pressed into service once more for cross drilling and tapping the 2BA holes for the spray bar

And again for milling the side angles

And yet again for milling the clearance for the bolt head in the intake tube.

This simple little plate has really earned it's keep on these backplates and still has work to do on the front housings. An easily made and versatile fixture that possesses some extremely good workholding characteristics. They are particularly good when used for machining eccentrics too.

After another fettling they ended up like this, a result I'm well pleased with.

Here's one alongside the original - not an exact copy but close enough to give the right effect I think. (The scale is only 1:1.26 but it looks a lot larger in the pic)

The front housings are next but I shall be taking a break for a couple of days - the first plastic model (what's that?  :o Heresy do I hear you say ?  :D )show we usually attend is this Saturday so need a bit of time to get ready for that - for those who might wonder, no the Crusader is not going - this time ;).

Regards - Ramon

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
Beautifully done Ramon, if I my ask how much time did you spend on each part and how many setups you had to do before completing them? Only on these backplates if you care to elaborate on them.  I enjoy a finish part and will spend whatever time is required to do so. Finishing is what makes it what it is. I await your next post.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
Thank you Don, much appreciated.

Just been out and checked my notes - not so detailed these days since the advent of the digi camera - but elapsed time was eight days with a day and a half out to fix the yacht. Started on the 19th and finished yesterday after a day of interuptions so about 6 days total with an average of around 6 hours a day I'd guess so say 40 hrs max - ten hours a piece. I never think about this side of things now but they'd be pricey items if that was a business eh :o

They took sixteen different set ups  - if it's of interest ...

1 Block to size plus 1mm on all faces and square all round  (Mill)

2 Centre for Venturi/Intake postion (Mill)

3 Centre for case register and rotor pin (Mill)

4 Drill through and turn internal taper in intake (Lathe)

5 Turn Register and D/T for rotor pin (Lathe)

6 Mill intake timing pocket (Mill, Rot/Tab)

7 Drill bolt holes (Drill jig)

8 Rough mill waste around intake tube (Mill)

9 Turn intake tube and face plate to thickness (Lathe)

10 Rough and finish mill cavity in outer face (two ops) (Mill, R/T)

11 Mill bolt hole bosses - one set up but four ops each part (Mill, R/T)

12 Mill waste around base of intake tube (Mill, R/T)

13 Drill and tap for spray bar (Mill)

14 Mill sides to finish dimension 35.5 x 35.5 (Mill)

15 Mill 4 degree angles on sides - one set up - 32 ops (Mill)

16 Mill bolt head clearance in intake tube (Mill)

Hope that's not too long winded Don but you did ask ;)

I'd like to think that would have been a lot quicker were that at work but I've slowed down some - well more than some  ::) - since those days ;)

Hope thats what you wanted - nice to see someones interested :)

Regards - Ramon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »
Great Job Ramon!  and thanks for the blow by blow!.....I appreciate that as it helps me picture how it gets done!

Damn Sexy!

:praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
Damn Sexy huh?

Hmmmm, well - I never heard muh work described like that afore but I guess whatever rocks ya boat Dave  ;D

Ah, you're welcome mate - at least Don's not on his own  ;)
Ramon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
Damn Sexy huh?

Hmmmm, well - I never heard muh work described like that afore but I guess whatever rocks ya boat Dave  ;D

Ah, you're welcome mate - at least Don's not on his own  ;)
Ramon

Don't get me going over polished brass!..... 8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
Thank you Ramon, it is always good to know that such fine work is not with out paying the price of time. The blow by blow was not too long and I take notes here. For the ones just starting as I am, this gives me some confidants. I know I am not along putting in a lot of time making a part. I see people post things and not really knowing what was evolved in making them. I am sorry if it took some of your time here and very grateful that you did.

Regards Don

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
Like the look of this Ramon, a great start, lovely machining.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
Hi Don, Thanks for your kind thoughts, but as with Dave you are more than welcome.

I'm more than happy to spend the time to help anyone interested enough to ask. Posting on here - for me - is all about sharing with others of a similar mind and interest. I could be in two local model clubs but I choose not too predominently because of their main interest is in running locomotives. I have good relations with members of both but would much rather 'meet' people on here on a daily basis rather than once a month. Besides, I've spent a lifetime in clubs and always end up with too much to think about as well as the modelling - I made a promise to Sue that once I retired I would 'serve' no more ;) so I see this and HMEM as very much my substitute for being in a ME club.

Where individuals skills are concerned, small or great, I believe it's all relevant to what we strive to do. Whilst aware that there are those with less skill on here I try never to lose sight of the fact that there are many out there with far far greater skills than I possess or indeed am likely too so we can all learn from each other at what ever level. When I flew control line models there was a well known American modeller who had a great phrase for this and that was "Theres room in the hobby for everybody" -  can't say fairer that that eh  :)

Today I spent getting ready for the model show on Saturday. I had decided to hopefully off load some of my kit 'stash'. It's all been quietly sitting on shelves and in cupboards here and there but boy when it all comes out it really hits you how foolish you've been expecting to be able to acheive it all. A real question of 'dream on' I guess but reality certainly struck home today :o Hopefully I won't have to bring it back home again  ::)

Thanks for your thoughts Nick - with luck some more next week

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:31:01 PM by Ramon »

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
Ramon

Attentively following you along.  :praise2: :praise2:

I had decided to hopefully off load some of my kit 'stash'.

I hope you will not start missing your stash in a month's time.  :'(  I know I would.

Vince

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
Oh I guess I will at some stage Vince but there's 'being realistic' and 'being realistic' :o 
;D ;D ;D

Ramon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
Still watching Ramon.
Sorry I don't say much. I struggle to have something meaningful to say.
I really like the work and the finishes you achieve.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:23 PM »
 Hi Guys, a quick update on a bit further progress.....

A good start has been made on those front housings. Now that theres a fourth case to use I'd like to make the extra one a little bit personalised but based on the 'Elite' version so theres one Mk3, two Elites and one Elite Mk2. The Mk3 is basically turned to profile with the Elites much the same but with a small amount of R/T work and the Elite Mk 2 with its prominent boss underneath having to be milled to shape. Here are a 'few' pics........

Done at the same time as the back plates the basic blocks were milled square and brought to dimension plus 1mm on all faces. First op was to bore the housing for the main bearing, turn the outer diameter register to a nice slip fit into the case - The housings were turned to .005mm down - well as near as I could tell using telegauges - which will probably expand the outer slightly when the bearing is pressed in so they should have a nice snap fit. The inner 10mm bore was drilled, then bored before reaming to maximise concentricity

A chunky fixture was turned up to hold them for turning/milling the outer profiles.

Thinking ahead a bit too quick this one was roughed before I realised there was a prior op to do  ::)

Which was to mill the internal lightening pockets... (Not exactly essential, these are cast in to the original die casting so they were put in for the sake of replication)  ;)...

First stage complete ready for those front profiles

This is one of the two Elites. The Mk3 has a single taper back to the face

The set up to mill the Elite Mk2. This is the first real use of the dividing head as a 'rotary table' in shaping

Initial roughing with a 6mm FC3

Final cuts with a 3mm with the corners radiused by hand on the offhand grinder

'Early days' as yet but a promising start..

And this is the current state of play as of tonight

Things may slow down a bit for a few days as this raw weather looks set to break tomorrow so if so it's garden time - I have no more excuses left  ::)

There really is no need to say sorry Carl - it's nice to know you are still following. I'm sure you're not alone  :)

Well 'that's it for tonight folks' - now if it would just rain tomorrow ;D

regards - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal